5.0 out of 5 stars A Review Of The First Two Albums By Marsheaux, 16 Dec 2007
G. Hunter (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peek A Boo (Audio CD)
First off you may be wondering who Marsheaux are! Well they are a female electro pop duo from Thessaloniki in Greece. The band comprise of Marianthi and Sophie both of whom play keyboards and share the vocal duties. The Human League website Electronically Yours has been singing the praises of this duo for some time now. I have heard a few tracks mainly the one's posted on their Myspace site and have been impressed with what I have heard, so I thought I would buy the duo's first two albums which were available as a limited edition double pack.

So without further ado here are my thoughts on the duo's first and second album. First up "Ebay Queen"
Our introduction to Marsheaux begins with a self titled signature tune M.A.R.S.H.E.A.U.X and is full of wonderful electronic sounds which are straight out of the "Vince Clarke School Of Synthesizers!".
The second track "Flash Light" leads us straight into synthpop bliss with it's catchy chorus and more excellent electronic sounds.

Track 3 "Shake Me" reminds me a bit of Kraftwerk in its musical presentation. Fantastic pad sounds and great vocals - The best track so far.

I thought "Shake Me" was brilliant but the 4th track is a magnificent cover version of The Lightning Seeds track "Pure". They have really taken this track to a level I did n't expect with their superb use of synths and I especially like the string pads on the track. Now I'm getting excited!!

Track 5 "Play Boy" highlights some wonderful vocals from the girls. I love the dark sounds of the synths on this one - Again very much influenced by Sir Vincent Clarke!

Already we have seen some highlights from this album and another one follows in the shape of track 6 - "Computer Love". It is truly excellent! It is faultless in every department, beautiful melodies embraced by great vocals. Without doubt this is my favorite track on the album.

Track 7 "Tonight" is a very upbeat track with a chorus to die for. This is synthpop at its best. You will be singing the chorus to this one in no time at all. This album is going from strength to strength!

The eighth track on the album is called "The Game" and has a very "Pet Shop Boys" style intro to it. It is a very moving ballad track which grows on you the more you hear it. If you think Pet Shop Boys meets Vince Clarke then that will give you an idea of the sound of this track.

Track 9 "Ola Gyrizoyn" is a beautiful piece of electronic music. It is very catchy - Another superb track and a big favorite of mine.

"Hands On Me" the albums 10th track sounds very much like Yazoo (Vince Clarke gets mentioned everywhere these days!) The song is not sung in English (Presume they are singing in greek). A really nice track with great melodies and hooks - I would love to hear an English version of this fantastic track.

Track 11 sees another cover version. This time the girls cover "Pop Corn" and is a track beautifully suited to their sound. It is given a very good modern makeover.
"Analyse" is the albums closing track and is best described as a pop song in the style of Girls Alouds "Sound Of The Underground". Now I cannot stand Girls Aloud but this is a fitting end to an absolutely stunning debut album.

9/10

Now on to the follow up album "Peek-A-Boo" - Will they have "Second Album Syndrome" lets find out!

"Hanging On" starts off the journey through Marsheaux's second album and is a strong opening track. I adore the dream like vocals on this. There is a harder edge to their sound on this track.

From the moment I heard the intro to "Wait No More" I just knew this was going to be an excellent track! It has every ingredient for good electronic music, a beautiful synth arrangement and their best vocal performance to date. It has everything and is brilliant and one of my big favorites on the album.

A great synth intro leads us into track 3 "No Sense" which is another upbeat dance track with some great hooks and another very memorable chorus - superb!

Track 4 "Promise" sees yet another Vince Clarke influenced start to the track. The song reminds me a bit of and OMD. I absolutely love this track and for me is the standout track on what is proving to be a truly excellent album.

Track 5 "City Of Lights" has a very haunting feel to it with similar haunting vocals. I feel this track has perhaps an influence of Kraftwerk and OMD. It is another top class song.

Track 6 is a track I am very familiar with as I have played it several times on their Myspace page. It does n't surprise me at all that this song has been played in excess of 53,000 times on their Myspace site. It is stunning and is a full on catchy synthpop song undoubtedly a live favorite.

The seventh track "What A Lovely Surprise" starts off with an intro which is very similar to the Eurythmics track "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)". The track has quite a heavy feel to it and is perhaps one of the albums weaker tracks.

"Home" the albums 8th track sees a swift return to form with another very catchy synthpop song. Superb electronic sounds and a track I really like.

Track 9 "What Don't You Like" is another fast paced track. Brilliant synth sounds again on this one and excellent vocals. A very catchy track with some good hooks - excellent!

The albums 10th track "Love Under Pressure" did n't work for me at all. I felt it lacked a bit of direction - My least favorite track on the album.

The Depeche Mode sounding "People's mind" is the eleventh track on the album and has a nice mix of electro sounds on it - A good track

I thought the girls did a terrific job of covering The Lightning Seeds track "Pure" on their last album well they have delivered again this time they do a fantastic job of covering New Order's "Regret" Track 12 on the album). Being from Manchester I have been a long time New Order/Joy Division fan. It is a stunning cover version and all I can say about it is summed up by these three words, Perfect, magnificent, brilliant!!

The final track on the album is called "Heaven" and is a beautiful mid tempo ballad. It is the perfect closing track to this album and showcases the girls abilities to create wonderful sounds on their synthesizers and also showcases their wonderful vocals. This track is a big favorite of mine.

All in all a solid follow up to "Ebay Queen" 9/10

Undoubtedly there is a bright future for this duo and I know they work very hard at what they do and can only wish them the very best of luck in the future. One final point if I may when are we going to see an Erasure or Yazoo cover version from you. I would suggest something like Yazoo's "Goodbye 70's" it would suit you perfectly.

Gary hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars If only there were more than 5 stars, 15 Feb 2008
This review is from: Peek A Boo (Audio CD)
Ah, what a great album. Some fantastic covers - with even a few hints of the Flock of Seagulls (genius) sprinkled about. Got more edge than Onetwo and more poptastic than The Birthday Massacre (although strangely colour co-ordinated packaging). You see, euro-pop doesn't HAVE to be rubbish. Thessaloníki is my favourite city in Greece, so not surprising that the album of the moment in my collection hails from there. I am also rather fond of my 'Now You Are Mine' t-shirt. Buy this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars female kraftwerk, 19 Feb 2010
R. A. D. Hunter (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peek a Boo (MP3 Download)
Marsheaux are the best, most melodic of all contemporary Electro bands and Peek a Boo is a must have! Every track is instantly memorable. Buy it!!!

Peek A Boo
Peek A Boo by Marsheaux (Audio CD - 2008)