5.0 out of 5 stars Maigret box set Series 1 and 2
Published on 15 Feb 2005 by steveacoustic

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, poor quality DVD
My wife gave me this set for my birthday. The stories and acting are timeless and frankly amazing. However the quality of the DVD's is just appalling. I have to admit I thought it was a pirate copy of an old VHS, especially as there are no subtitles. If you can put up with this, you'll not be disappointed.
Published on 14 Feb 2011 by rmp1960

5.0 out of 5 stars Maigret box set Series 1 and 2, 15 Feb 2005
steveacoustic (Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is wonderful stuff! I missed the series when originally aired on TV and I always had the feeling I'd missed something good. Well, good is an understatement. These are beautifully executed yarns with meticulous attention to period detail - but it's the gentle humour and wry observations of human behaviour that really set these stories apart from other 'tec stories. The ensemble acting, headed by Michael Gambon, is first rate and the pace of the plots perfect. Why were more episodes never made? A classic gem. I noticed that a US viewer complained about the poor image quality - I don't have a problem with the UK Region 2 version, maybe they're pressed from different sources.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Please!, 11 Mar 2009
This review is from: Maigret - Series 1 And 2 - Complete [1992] [DVD] (DVD)
Having fallen asleep before the end of each programme (well it was shown at about 2.30 a.m. on ITV3), I was desparate to see the endings and the programmes I had missed. I loved the two series and wish that they had made more. Michael Gambon is fantastic. Would recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Une question, síl vous plâit, 19 Feb 2004
G. MacMillin (Westmoreland, NH USA) - See all my reviews
I have the US version of this set. The stories and acting are great, we all know that, but the DVD transfer is a disgrace -- dark, grainy, VHSesque. I hope future reviewers of this new UK set will comment on the video quality of the DVDs, so owners of the expensive, poorly transfered US set will know whether to, sob, buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer class, 15 April 2008
Mr. C. J. Waldron "mhsob" (UK & Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maigret - Series 1 And 2 - Complete [1992] [DVD] (DVD)
What a shame they only did 2 series. Gambon is absolutely wonderful as the the enigmatic Maigret. And the supporting cast are fabulous. But Gambon brings Maigret to life in a magnificent performance of subtlety and wit. Great stories brought to life by a wonderful cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars magic maigret, 11 May 2009
snapdragon "sf fan" (newcastle-under-lyme, staffs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maigret - Series 1 And 2 - Complete [1992] [DVD] (DVD)
I was too young to remember the previous maigret -rupert davies - but I love the books, so was glad when these remakes were put on tv.
Michael Gambon is brilliant -as is the supporting cast- and the episodes have a timeless quality to them. The writing is first class and the characterisation fairly faithful to the books. Nothing is overblown or out of place and you never feel that scenes have been written to give an actor the chance 'to shine'! Good old fashioned -in the best possible sense - tv writing and acting!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Treat., 31 Jan 2005
Paul Hedges (Acton,, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This series is well made. As well as Michael Gambon who plays a
humourous, polite,& clever Ch Insp Jules Maigret, the rest of
his team are excellent.Geoffrey Hutchings moustached Sgt Lucas,
Jack Galloway as Insp Janvier, & James Larkin's young Insp
Lapointe, interact well in their roles as Maigrets Detective
team.Simenon's stories are superb, costumes & french locations
are nicely done. Both the actresses who play Madame Maigret,
Ciaran Madden (series 1) Barbara Flynn (series 2) are
attractive & convincing in their roles.
I recommend this box set to those who enjoy a good detective yarn or two.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece of Maigret, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: Maigret - Series 1 And 2 - Complete [1992] [DVD] (DVD)
Good acting all around, marvellous scenery and attention to detail draw you into these stories. The first series especially is gently paced and so easy to become absorbed in, very different from modern cop stories. A great way to spend a few hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Psychology of Crime, 20 Mar 2011
This review is from: Maigret - Series 1 And 2 - Complete [1992] [DVD] (DVD)
That actor of quality Michael Gambon understands perfectly the mind of Simenon's legendary, pipe-smoking detective. It is not the paraphernalia of forensic science that is brought to the fore to solve Simenon's mysteries but rather motive,intent and all the defects (and the odd virtue) of human behaviour are analysed by this most interesting and original of detectives. Check the credits to see where the series was filmed - it does look like Paris!

The next time you're in Paris and feel like an aperitif you'll find one of Maigret's bars in the Place des Vosges.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, poor quality DVD, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: Maigret - Series 1 And 2 - Complete [1992] [DVD] (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and very worthwhile drama; Gambon is an absolute joy to watch, 5 Dec 2011
This review is from: Maigret - Series 1 And 2 - Complete [1992] [DVD] (DVD)
I have had very little exposure to Michael Gambon, despite being a television aficionado of many things 1955+. First thing I saw him in was Doctor Who-A Christmas Carol, where the character and therefore indirectly the actor, is perhaps difficult to like. However, Maigret demonstrates why he is first rate, because he is so likeable, you feel that you are "with him" with his facial mannerisms, his occasional yet succinct outburst of sarcasm, and his just scraping through to keep the bosses happy. We feel much in common with Maigret except for where he excels in a unique and slightly unorthodox manner of detection work. He plays the role in such a likeable way; he is on the side of those who report to him, firm but kind, rather than always adopting the superior position. In the same way he would arguably fraternise too closely with his inspectors, he likes some of his villains too much too which gives us a unique perspective we don't often see in other detective series.

I do not know much about the back history of Maigret, but nearly twenty years after this adaptation was made, I have thoroughly enjoyed these two 6-episode series wishing there was more. I would have to say that some episodes are better or more appealing than others, but that is true of any series, and opinions will vary as to the best episodes.

Granada, producers of the excellent Sherlock Holmes series, have shown their talent for crime series and made another significant contribution to both crime television and television in general. I will soon be watching The Singing Detective (bought when first came out on DVD but still not seen) as I want to watch more Michael Gambon.

Maigret - Series 1 And 2 - Complete [1992] [DVD]