4.0 out of 5 stars Fox - the series that tolds us how things will be
If you could go back in time to a point when society was at a crossroads and you could see where it was heading then you wouldn't need Fox.
Published on 25 Jun 2010 by Gari Sullivan

3.0 out of 5 stars satisfied
I was well satisfies with the fox series quality not to bad as it was made back in the 80s. well enjojable.
Published on 25 April 2010 by Mr. Kj Allen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fox - the series that tolds us how things will be, 25 Jun 2010
This review is from: Fox - Complete Series [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
Like so many dramas of the early 80s, Fox is both insightful of the future and a reflection on how the world is. Just take a listen to Vin and Renie's conversation on how London is changing and Phil Fox's speech on what 'family' means.

People comment about the songs. Its true that 30 years on, they seem a bit out of place, but they remind us that Fox is a piece of history that spoke of our present. Watch it again and you will see the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably Preston's Finest., 8 Feb 2008
This review is from: Fox - Complete Series [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
I'm writing this review as a buyer of the older Clearvision version. So I can't comment on any extras that are included with this release. Just the superb writings of Trevor Preston and the choice of actors make this series a very worthwhile investment. If you watched that daft series Life on Mars for your nostalgic look back into an era before PC took over, then this is the real thing. Old cars, London looking like it needs cleaning up, and some of the best sarcasm I still use on people today. Dereck O'Connor is the man for this, with his quip about "Mr Health & Strength..." being my favourite. The story is about a close family from Clapham, South London lead by King Billy (Peter Vaughan)and is a snapshot of their life. Every single actor in this series is worth a mention including the young boy who is deaf and dumb and plays Vinny's son. I cannot speak highly enough of this production because there is nothing made today that can even come close. The days of Euston Films and such brilliant writers are gone forever, but thanks to DVD those of us who are able to remember a different time can pretend we are still back there.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic TV drama, 16 May 2010
Mr. A. J. Tennant "Metalhead" (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fox - Complete Series [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
I may be too young to remember this programme being on television, but Fox is simply one of the best dramas to have hit our screens back in 1980. It relied on well-written scripts, and even had humour in some of the storylines including the scene where everyone was celebrating Billy Fox's 70th birthday party in the first episode titled "King Billy". The programme also relied on very talented actors to play such powerful characters that featured in the show, and they did such a fantastic job at it. I very highly recommend that you buy Fox and other dramas like this on DVD, because these programmes show you how decent they were, and how abysmal a lot of new dramas being made nowadays truly are.

4.0 out of 5 stars This badly needs subtitles, 18 May 2011
A. Forbes (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fox - Complete Series [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of the few Network releases that to my knowledge contains any special features. Namely a commentary by the Scriptwriter and some other guff about PDF scripts. Fair enough, but what this really needs is subtitles because the sound quality is absolutely dreadful. I kept on having to rewind it to try and make out what people were saying, but then I just gave up and moved on. Which was a shame because it spoiled what might otherwise might have been a first rate drama. And it's got nothing to do with the age of the production as I've got other Network releases from the late 60's and the sound is crystal clear. Whereas this one is definately muffled. So now that we've established that it's not just me struggling with the "Cockney Geezer" accents or being a mutton old bugger can I now appeal to Network to put some worthwhile extras on their DVD releases. Namely subtitles?

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 4 April 2010
B. Sayers (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fox - Complete Series [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
Like a lot of the reviewers I remember this from when I was a lad.

The acting is superb and the storylines very believable for its time.

I had to convince my wife to try an episode as she wasn't overly keen, mostly because it is 30 years old!!! (omg I am getting old).

Needless to say, after one episode she was as hooked as me and we watched the whole thing in record time.

If I had to criticise anything about it (and frankly it is a small criticism)it is the (storytelling) song which appears in some episodes. It is a bit corny and dated. But like I said, a minor gripe.

If you like drama to have real characters, real story and not rely on action to get you through it, then you won't go far wrong with this.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars FOX, 7 Sep 2009
L. M. Galbraith (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fox - Complete Series [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
I have been waiting for years for this series to be repeated on ITV
Was so fed up with the summer evenings TV that I googled Fox TV series & found it
It is as good as I remembered & have watched it from beginning to end
Well worth buying for any Ray Winstone fans, really shows that he's always been a brilliant actor

5.0 out of 5 stars old school, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Fox - Complete Series [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
It shows its age a little but there are some fine actors in this series. I didn't watch it on TV when it first aired - probably to busy going out. Now i am a little older and possibly a touch wiser, I am catching up on the tv i missed as a teen/idiot.

Well worth a watch particularly as the actors are pretty damn good. Mind you, the producers had a habit of playing daft songs - the first episode introduces you to Billy, the father and figurehead of the Fox family. However there is a dire song entitled 'King Billy' which, of course, is to let you know that Billy is the top man. Awful song and several other awful songs run across the series. I found them amusing in the end because they were so awful. Other than that, great tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series, 28 Sep 2008
W. Hutchinson "whutchin2" (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fox - Complete Series [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
The series is about a (somewhat stereotyped) patriarchal London family with the brothers forming the focus of the story. This series is a fantastic relief from the contemporary programmes which would have screaming noises as a background. Whilst there is some musical effects, the series relies on good acting from a number of now familiar actors and actresses as well as a good story line. If you want relaxed viewing with action but without the ludicrous and excessive effects of today's light dramas, get this and drift back to the 1980s.
Good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foxman, 29 April 2009
Well what can i say,
This series was the best
It really gives an insight on London life as it was and the clientiel of the day which has now sadly diminished.
When this series was first aired back in 1980 i was still a resident of London and when i sit back and watch Fox from time to time it can bring tears to my eyes with the fond memories of strong family life which in some cases does no longer exist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pity There Wasn't A Sequel, 9 Nov 2014
Mr. C. A. Rixen (Essex England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fox - Complete Series [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
I remember watching this series when it was first broadcast on the very early 1980's. Back then it was ground breaking and definitely the best thing on TV. Nothing in the following years has come close to this saga of a south London family. Trevor Preston's scripts and taught dialogue are superbly brought to life with an amazing and talented cast. I would thoroughly recommend this series to anyone. It is an example of British television drama at its best, before TV went down hill and became smothered in the vacuous tedium of reality TV,

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Fox - Complete Series [1980] [DVD]
Fox - Complete Series [1980] [DVD] by Jim Goddard (DVD - 2007)