on 7 April 2012
An excellent collection of small films about the work of this essential RAF Command in World War II. I worked in connection with exercises with some squadrons in the 1950s and spent one morning in the glass nose of a Mk 1 Shackleton over the Far East Fleet on one excercise.
on 17 June 2010
I got this DVD to see in picture form what this command did during the Second World War. My Dad served in this command from 1941 to 1945 (Flying in Blenheims and Beaufighters). He never talked much about what he did and he is not around to tell me now. I have his Log book and I wanted to piece together what he has entered in the book and what it was like actually. It has certainly shown me that his entries are very dry and business like. The DVD has given me more insight what is behind these entries. It was for me a very interesting and worthwhile purchase.
on 30 September 2015
Once you get past the fact that the men and women we see are non-actors and sound unconvincing, it's really an enthralling documentary about life and missions from fictional bases of Coastal Command in Scotland and Iceland.

It's a kind of training film for civilians -- "This is what our boys are doing and here's how it works." It's true that Ralph Vaughan Williams wrote the musical score but you might not notice it. The score doesn't overwhelm the images or the narrative, unlike, say, "Victory at Sea," in which Richard Rogers pounds your tympani with mallets. The orchestra is directed by Muir Matheson, who seems to have directed in nearly every British sound movie ever made.

It's a paean to Coastal Command, and they deserve it. The target is a fictional German raider, the Dusseldorf. The crew we follow, in T for Tommy, mans a Sunderland flying boat, sometimes called "the flying porcupine" because of its relatively heavy armament. It's a four-engine mammoth. The interior of the fuselage looks like a half-constructed ballroom for a majestic hotel. Its weaknesses as a patrol plane were that it was slow and its range was limited.

In addition, though, there are nice shots of Beauforts, Lockheed Hudsons, and PBY Catalinas. Some Yanks on Iceland, serving their P-40s, get to envy the Brits taking off for a major engagement with a German battleship. I wouldn't have envied them. Everyone is bundled up in fleece-lined leather coats and jackets. They don't call it Iceland for nothing and northern Scotland isn't much of a climatic improvement. And you can NOT find a decent pizza at four in the morning in John o'Groats.

There is a half-coordinated attack on the Dusseldorf by Hudsons and Beautforts. The Luftwaffe counters with a handful of Junkers 88s. An Australian Sunderland and a flight of RAF Beaufighters engage the Junkers, just after T for Tommy is damaged and one of the crew wounded.

Is the Dusseldorf sufficiently damaged that she must turn for home? Does the wounded man on T for Tommy smile as he lies there with a bullet through his arm, bantering about the leave he has coming? Do the Beaufighters shoot down one or two Junkers without loss to their own? Does T for Tommy make it back to base?

This is a morale-boosting war-time documentary from 1943.
on 26 August 2011
I think these old WWll films give a good insight into what our forces did during the war.I have many of these on video which were recorded,nice to have a good copy to watch.
on 22 July 2013
I found this dvd boring. It went into detail showing how to fuse a bomb which did not interest me at all. I had hoped it wouldd have included all areas of coastal command but it did not. I think it was for the more technical side anyway sorry but it is not for me
on 3 February 2014
Lovely to see footage of wonderful old aeroplanes which were flying before I was born and to learn more about the bravery of the men who flew them.
on 9 January 2013
Wonderful collection of previously unseen films describing the goings-on behind the scenes and lots more of this often forgotten RAF command. Excellent IWM footage and well worth the price.
on 25 June 2013
Was looking forward to viewing this DVD as I worked on the Shackletons in the late 60's & early 70's.

Content seemed a bit disjointed and I feel not really enought "unseen" film.
on 29 October 2014
Now, this film I found of better quality and more interesting. Told me htings I truly did not jknow. Friends flying sunderlands assure me thathis was a good film.
on 18 April 2015
Great, I flew theses wonderful planes during World War II.