Star Trek Voyager  - Season 7 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£12.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Star Trek Voyager is a science fiction adventure based on the original series created by Gene Roddenberry. Each episode follows the Federation Star-ship U.S.S. Voyager and her crew, as they navigate their way home through unknown and often hostel space, after being transported against their will to the other side of the Galaxy.

This is the seventh and final season of Star Trek Voyager, and the boxed set contains all twenty six episodes, as well as a selection of special features.

Naturally after watching seven seasons of anything, you come to feel that you know the characters, and come to care about what happens to them in the end. As a result you can expect an emotional response especially towards the end of the season, as you know things are coming to a close.

The obvious highlight of this season was the two part final "End Game" which is action packed and gripping, but more importantly it ended things nicely, while also tying up all the loose ends.

Generally all episodes in this season were very entertaining and enjoyable to watch. The most note worthy few being "Renaissance Man" with Robert Picardo in fine form as both the Doctor and the ECH. "Q2" one of my personal favourites, and "Shattered" which showed time periods in both Voyager's past and possible future. There was only one episode I didn't enjoy and that was "Nightingale" simply because I felt it wasn't faithful to one of the character background and established traits (Kim's). Also there were a few small but obviously plot holes, and a rather pointless puppy love sub-plot between Torres and Icheb.

But all things considered, with plenty of brilliant moments and some excellent episodes make this final season one of the best. The cast continue to be in fine form, the stories are great and have been well implemented.

With Star Trek Voyager the question of whether or not the crew would ever get home was always present as the show continued, and as such it was a common theme in many episodes. I'm glad the series finished the way it did and when it did, as I felt it was the right time for the show to come to a conclusion.

I've heard many people say in the past that they felt that Voyager was the weakest of the Star Trek sage, personally I disagree. I find it the most involving, the easiest to relate to, and the one that offers the best and most diverse characters.

The only thing I can complain about is that the Borg (a race of cybernetic drones) seem to have been somewhat 'toned down' and tamed in Star Trek Voyager. They seem less menacing and less dangerous when compared to their appearances in The Next Generation and in the First Contact movie.

As expected picture and sound quality throughout the series is excellent. And you have the added bonus of being able to watch without commercial interruption -unlike the television broadcasts.

For any new comers I would strongly recommend watching Voyager from the first season and working up to this season, as it will give you all the necessary background, and let you become involved with cast. For established fans, or long time watchers there has never been a better time to buy these boxed sets as their price continue to drop.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 August 2004
VOYAGER becomes the 3rd Star Trek incarnation to complete its seventh year. Its final 26 episodes are, in the main, successful.
The season kicks off with a strong conclusion to the season 6 cliff-hanger UNIMATRIX ZERO. There is something very affecting about the principal of several Borg drones being able to fulfil their individuality during regeneration. The season 7 premiere delivers a respectable conclusion to this premise.
Moving on from the opener, there are several bland entries (including the 7 of 9 showcase IMPERFECTION, DRIVE [which sees the marriage of 2 crew members] & the Tuvok centred REPRESSION).
However some of the seasons success stories include: LINEAGE (which focuses on Torres parental worries), the WORKFORCE 2-parter (in which the crew are unknowingly forced to work on alien planet), AUTHOR AUTHOR and the audacious penultimate episode RENAISSANCE MAN; a really effective blend of action & tongue-in-cheek sentiment, which perfectly showcases the ability of the cast ensemble (with, of course, the doctor at the forefront).
ENDGAME is the shows highly effective series finalé, and is packed with menace, suspense and plenty of character moments, presented in one highly polished presentation.
While it may have been heavily critised by some people for its lack of continuity and engaging drama, VOYAGER may well have been a mere victim of poor timing (airing too close to DS9, and to TNG's demise). Faced with ENTERPRISE - surely many fans will feel nostalgia, for a show that was largely unappreciated.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Well having watched most of the seasons on video the quailty of the picture and the extras were incrediable on DVD.

Everyone moans about the final episode but if you are looking to buy this don't be put off.

The ending was a nice alround round off of the series and it had to come at some point and it is well worth watching.

Another brilliant aspect of getting the series on DVD is the extras series 7 ones are excellent.

I am probably biased as I think Voyager is the best series but off all the endings this one was good.

This is a must have for any trekkie.

Live long and Prosper those who read this.

Ps. the best bit in the whole series is at the end of homestead involving Tuvoc watch out for it. (he's would be quite talented on the dance floor).
on 19 January 2008
I thought I'd buy it as I really liked DS9 and I'm very happy I did! It definitely differs in tone being a bit more light-hearted, but it does have a few dark episodes, which tend to be the more enjoyable ones.
I very much enjoyed 'Critical Care', which focuses on The Doctor, by far the most interesting and funny character, and the episode also poses a few moral dilemmas (like 'Repentance, another great episode!), so its not just a simple kind of story. I also really liked 'Shattered', as Voyager is split into many time periods and we get to see back in the past and a little bit of the future.
The episode 'Natural Law' was really a nice episode, and finally the last ever episode 'Endgame' was both fun and enjoyable! I loved the end sequence.
The captain becomes a bit less harsh this season, and there is a rather disturbing sequence with her in a bathtub with John De Lancie ('Q').
The extra features are all good, and some are hidden too so make sure you find them all, but the disc menus, the background beeping and noise is a bit tiring after like 30 seconds, so be quick when you choose an episode!
It really is an extremely good buy, and so I'm going to buy the rest in reverse chronological order.
'Reverse the polarity of the shield' or 'Emit a tachyon pulse'. Solves anything.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After watching on-and-off re-runs of ST:Voyager on Virgin1 with its annoying adverts every 7 minutes and irritating screen ident, I decided to buy the whole series on DVD. I also have ST:TNG on DVD.

The main reason why I think both ST:TNG and ST:Voyager were the strongest of the modern Star Trek incarnations is because of their character development. When you are able to watch the entire series, you are able to see the characters change, grow, develop; you find yourself identifying with them. You become fond of them; they become like family. And that's why they work. In ST:Voyager, there was a strong theme of redemption which I liked: the idea that everyone deserves a second chance. For example, Tom Paris goes from being a criminal rogue to being the pilot of Voyager with all the responsibilities that goes with it, all because Janeway knew he could do better and become that son he always wanted to be for his father, Admiral Paris; a man in whose shadow he had always lived under. Then later on, we see a Borg drone (Seven of Nine, Jeri Ryan) be tamed, moulded and guided into becoming a loved and valued member of the crew; and ultimately we see her, with the help of the crew and in particular Captain Janeway, regain her lost humanity.

In ST:TNG, Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) brought so much depth to the character of Jean-Luc, so much history, that he became my favourite character. He was not only the captain, he was a father-like figure to so many in the crew, in particular to young Wesley Crusher. In ST:Voyager, my favourite character is Captain Janeway (Kate Mulgrew). In many ways she was the female Jean-Luc Picard: she was not only the captain of Voyager, she became a close friend and mother-like figure to all her crew. This is best illustrated by her nurturing, mother-daughter relationship with Seven of Nine (Jeri Ryan) who came to the series in Season 3. I only wish that relationship was developed further in the series; there was so much more they could have done with it. This is often where Star Trek falls down: they seem to focus a bit too much on the techno-babble and photon torpedos, rather than on human relationships, which ultimately is what Star Trek should be about. However, I think Voyager's predicament - a bunch of lonely humans stranded 70,000 light-years from home - allowed the writers to find the right balance.

As regards to Season 7, I don't think it was Voyager's strongest season; the final episode was, I feel, a bit of an anti-climax. However, I did like the guest appearance of Alice Kruge as the Borg Queen, tying in nicely to her appearance in the Star Trek movie, 'First Contact'. For me, Seasons 3 and 4 were Voyager's strongest seasons. Indeed, it is often the case that the third and fourth season of any series tends to be the strongest, as writers are able to 'let rip' and explore their characters to the full.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 April 2009
Voyager comes to a close with some amazing episodes that in true voyager fashion, bring them a little closer to home. The individual episodes are gr8 and the 2 parters are fantastic with the exception of the final episode which is possibly the defining episode of the entire Voyager series and definately somewhere ont he top 20 star trek eps. Get this if you like voyager and if you consider yourself a Kate Mulgrew fan, this is for you, some great acting and directing!!!
on 18 May 2006
Well I thought that this season was ok generally and I don`t understand why people didn`t like the endgame finale, I videoed it when it originally aired I watched it over 5 timesand I thought that it was the best finale of any star trek, period as a 2 parter it was movie lenghth and I`d have paid money to see it at the Cinema, so there !
on 23 August 2007
Are you all mad? I though the conclusion was brillant. It was so cleaverly done, pulling all the threads together that were sewn through
the series. I loved it. as for enterprise........could,nt get into it at all. kapla !!!! live long and prosper !
on 21 February 2005
This series is a must have for any person who has followed the Voyager story and loved it. It doesnt only give you the conclusion but it gives you a range of differnet genre episodes in it before the final conclusion. The conclusion to Voyager is very emotional and even shocking to the crew themselfs and you cant belive that it has happened and after all their struggles, arguments and losses you know that the crew or should i saw the family of Voyager FINALLY get back to Earth. I think it is a must have for any fan and i believe that Voyager will always remain in are lifes, ambitions and hearts!
VINE VOICEon 9 September 2008
I really enjoyed the whole series, however, I agree with some here that season 7 was not what it could have been. I do not own any the slim line versions, that said I am sure the quality is the same? Some who love the show and have deep pockets will buy these at this price. I feel that Amazon UK are still charging too much, when compared to US prices. Hence 4 stars