4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good Game
Brought this game for PS3 as I had it for PS2 back in 2008. It was my favorite wrestling game overall

PRO's
Fighting styles make each individual wrestler different, unlike other wrestling games where they feel very similar

Strong Legend Roster

GM mode, quite possibly the best feature of this game

CON's

24/7 mode...
Published on 13 May 2013 by Timmy

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother - Wait For 2009.
This game was a massive let-down, with a few uplifting positive points, but overall disappointing. I'll stick to the cold, hard facts - what you will need to know before even considering purchasing the game. Please note - this review is based on my personal experience - an experience that can happen to any ordinary person who buys the game.

To start with, I'll...
Published on 29 Oct. 2008 by S. Butcher

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother - Wait For 2009., 29 Oct. 2008
S. Butcher (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3) (Video Game)

To start with, I'll list all the problems I found with the "24/7" mode - the story mode:

- It's repetitive, nothing you wouldn't see in previous versions. On all three shows (SD, Raw, ECW) you play the same 5/6 people throughout the whole year depending on the show you're drafted to and this, consequently, makes the story-lines rubbish.

- Your "friends" in the story quickly turn on you and vice versa. For instance, just when you think you've had a hard enough time from your enemies - they become nice and friendly. Also, your opponents are often the same week after week and you very rarely see title opportunities until you are given the chance to fight for it.

- They have improved the story mode by applying injuries in a more realistic way - if you become injured (which is far too easy really), it stays until you do something about - get healing, massages backstage etc. Great, right? No. Your injuries don't go away, not for me anyway. I used Triple H in story mode. He instantly became injured and I did everything the medical staff advised me - nothing major changed. For most battles I went in with yellow-to-red damage already. It was frustrating.

- Having held the WWE Championship for approximately 8 months, the GM (at the time) Stephanie McMahon, gave me the option to stop the punishment I was receiving by giving up the title, or to ignore her and carry on getting my nipples twisted. I, of course, chose the latter option. So what happened? It was stripped from me the very same day, for no reason, and had to wait 3 months (game time) to get another shot for it. It was either a programming error or an extremely bad story line. Either way, I was sincerely pissed off.

- When designing the story lines, they didn't exactly have much imagination. After about 10 months into it, who were my primary opponents? The McMahons. As if it hasn't been done already dozens of times in previous games. This also leads back to my "enemies becoming friendly" point earlier - often you are sided with one of the McMahons to face the other side of the family. Over the course of several months, the family would torch one-another, then hug and kiss and make up, then feud again. It was messed up - severely.

- After one year of playing the game I found myself playing the same story lines that I had already done around 8 months, such as Candice Michelle dumping Edge, then fondling my character, Edge getting upset etc. It was literally deja-vu... or pathetic programming.

- You have the option of skipping days in the story mode, to save time and just go straight to your next event. Simple, right? No. I was drafted to a certain show, like you always are, and never, ever played on either of the other two shows. So I skipped days, to save time, and found out that I had missed an ECW show where I was, apparently, supposed to compete and defend my title, so the game simulated the result, made me lose, and I lost the title... what!?

- This, most of all, grinds my very filthy gears most of all - the lack of effort THQ put into the backstage scenes (or "cut scenes") as well as the match aftermath scenes. The backstage scenes when you enter a new show are always the same. Ok, it's not too bad, right? Actually, it is. You are seen walking through the backstage area, approaching three superstars who want to shake your hands. That's alright... umm, no. Those superstars are, 90% of the time, your current rivals in the story line. So you are shaking the hand (or rejecting it sometimes) of the man who, 2 minutes ago, sent you a text message saying he's going to pound your face into the titantron until you're reduced to nothing but bone. Also, the match aftermaths - there's always a scene, mostly featuring the winner celebrating or, some arguing. I won 98% of my matches, and yet, in the aftermath scenes, it shows me crippled, walking with the aid of the referee, while my opponent, who's head I had royally bitten into, show-boating on the turnbuckle. Wtf?

- From what I saw, you can't play as a Diva in 24/7 mode. Ok? :|

Now I'll briefly catch you up on the problems with the game in general:

- First off, the controls in the manual, or rather how few there are. The manual generously tells you of the standard commands for controlling your superstar. However, I had to look up many controls on the Internet, including how to put your opponent through tables.

- Matches like ladder matches with more than three people (triple-threat) are damn near not possible. Well, they are, but at the end of it you end up with crippled fingers wrapped around the controller and massive fatigue. No matter how much damage you do the your opponents, no matter how many times you made a mold of their skull in a steel chair, every time you climb the ladder and spend aaaaaaages grasping the title/briefcase to try and unhook it, your opponent(s) will simply pop up after 10-15 seconds of you clinching on for dear life and spoil it. Perhaps they tried to make the game more difficult, but I was playing on normal difficulty level and I'm considering contacting my lawyer for compensation over my crippled pinkies!

- The new countering system they have introduced is pretty good, except a lot of the time, especially on a hard difficulty level, it's like your opponent(s) are immortal. There's a fine line between tactical, intelligent players, and then there's sheer immortality, and I don't think they found it.

- The graphics aren't amazing, still. Perhaps in 2009 we'll see an improvement.

That's the end of my rant over the game. I will just say that the few good points about the game are that it's addictive, the various fighting styles are good, the CAW has improved massively and the announcing is alright, although repetitive at times.

Moral of the loooooong story: Save your money for the 2009 edition.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Step Back In The Series, 10 Nov. 2007
Caleb Williams (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3) (Video Game)
I have to say that with this years installment of the WWE Smackdown series I am kind of disappointed as it displays a true step back in the progression of the overall series. Here are a few pro's and con's about the game that I think anyone should consider before buying the game.

Pro: They have overhauled the control system and fighting styles, for example if you're a high flyer like Rey Mysterio you can pull off some of his very spectacular moves with just a one button push simplifying it so anyone can play it like a pro. The hardcore fighting style also gives you an extensive controlling system when pulling off weapon offense, for example if you are a hardcore wrestler you can have a chair and do the classic pillmanizing move of placing an opponents ankle within the chair and stomping on it in an attempt to break your opponents ankle. Flaming tables have also made their debut and this is truly the best looking thing about it as when you're playing an ECW extreme rules match you can recreate some classic moments.

Con: The roster is very very disappointing this year with the exclusion of the former tag team champs London and Kendrick or Kevin Thorn to make room for lackluster diva's that let's be honest nobody will play as. This is always a major criticism I have every year with the WWE games as there are always big stars that you would naturally expect to be in but aren't. If you don't include DX which aren't playable from the very start you only actually have 1 tag team in Cryme Tyme which as I'm sure you can imagine if pretty stupid when you have 2 separate tag team championships.

Pro: The Legends roster. Where THQ let you down with the main roster they make it up to you with the legends roster as every year they take votes from fans as to which legends they would love to see in future games and this year shows that they haven't ignored the fans. Focusing a lot on ECW they have Foley, Terry Funk & Sabu as ECW legends (Rightly so). Then we have the returning Rock, Austin, Shane O Mac, Piper & Bret Hart and 2 new additions with "Ravishing" Rick Rude and the Returning Mr. McMahon.

Con: WWE 24/7 Mode. This is honestly a big disappointment for the game. THQ promised us a brand new mode that combined Season Mode and GM Mode, they also promised us it would be brilliant and exciting but all we got was repetition and boredom. There are however new additions to the mode that make it sort of interesting, they give you the option on your days off to do things like rest yourself up after a hard days work or do some promotional work like a press conference or commercials. You also have the option to star in a movie for a day (Honestly how many movies do you know that are filmed in a day?) Doing such things like resting yourself up to lower your fatigue however seriously damage your popularity, so to balance the both are extremely difficult.

All in all it is a good, entertaining game that is worth at least a purchase and a few rounds on your PS3. I haven't had much go of the online mode yet but the ranking system seems pretty easy to understand and simplistic so honestly get it and decide for yourself whether you want to keep it or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good Game, 13 May 2013

PRO's

Strong Legend Roster

GM mode, quite possibly the best feature of this game

CON's

24/7 mode is useless and has only one play-through.

Overall roster is too small.

More in depth hall of fame feature

Regardless of the faults I can play this game for weeks and not get bored. Its cheap and cheerful and controls are al ot easier then the current versions

4.0 out of 5 stars svr 2008 is good, 31 Oct. 2010
This review is from: SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3) (Video Game)
svr 2008 is a very good game in the svr series, i like the create a championship mode, 24/7 mode and having hardcore matches in it, there is a few glitches in it but it is good overall,there is a good few unlockables which can be purchased in wwe shop or by unlocking it and there is a few dlc unlockables i would recommend it

3.0 out of 5 stars Good intentions, 31 Jan. 2008
This review is from: SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3) (Video Game)
So I'm going to use the "Stewie Griffin" compliment sandwhich format, a compliment followed by criticism and then another compliment

Compliment: The addition of ECW was huge and adds a fun dimension to general manager mode. The game does a good job of rendering the facial features of the bigger superstars and the ECW extreme rules match is alot of fun.

Criticism: (ger ready for an earful)
- The game retains the unfuriatingly amateurish glitches from most of the previous games of the series (i.e you can't use the whole roster in season mode, reversals happen way too often on any level over easy, and the reversals are often for moves that you didn't actually attempt
- The Season modes are ridden with little things that make the game almost unplayable. The ability to determine what your superstar(s) do on days off sounds like an intersting thing on papaer but doing EVERY day all year (especially in GM mode) gets repetitive. What really bugged me was the fact that at certain points throughout the game in season mode (as a superstar) you will be prompted to make various decisions and almost inevitably your "choice" will be ignored and the game will simply procede down one story path or another without reference to what you wanted
- The create features again fall flat on their face. Created superstars look much more like cartoons than the real WWE roster, created titles are in the same boat, and when you bother to create an advanced entrance for a superstar the game essentially ignores it.

Compliment: DOn't worry boys you'll get'em next year

5.0 out of 5 stars Smackdown Vs Raw 2008, 9 Aug. 2009
A. TAHA (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3) (Video Game)
I got this game for my nephew. He is enjoying it. It is a very good deal. Suitable for his age (17), I don't advice for young children though! Looking forward to buying more games from you. Thanks.

3.0 out of 5 stars could of been a lot better but worth ago!!, 9 April 2008
Mr. A. Lian "aram_lian" (leeds united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3) (Video Game)
having recently just purchased the game i have to say it was a little hard to get to grips with first, but after a few gos it became very good to play..
the wwe 24/7 mode could of been better the main down point is that you cant use the hall of fame wrestlers to play in it, second of all it does get a bit boring and u lose intrest quite quickly..
The up side to the game is that the graphics are great as u would expect, the action is good, and u can have some really good wrestling matchs..

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, 13 Mar. 2009
This review is from: SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3) (Video Game)
i bought this game just because im a fan of wwe , for the price i couldn't go wrong , they game is OK , but the loading stages are too long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost top notch..., 17 Nov. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3) (Video Game)
The gameplay takes a little time to get use to seeing as it is very different from past years. After workin them out its such good fun to play!

The only let down this year is the roster, its really not that great at all, there are too many big stars taken out for divas(lets face it do you ever play as one of them) and theres not many tag teams either which is a let down.

All in all this is a great new game for PS3 and i would advise anyone who loves WWE or ECW to go out and buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 12 Dec. 2007
Great Graphics
Love the new ultimate control grapples and struggle submission mode
having the different fighting styles is a nice touch too
had this for about 5 days and no problems so far
lets just hope haha

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3)
SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3) by THQ (PlayStation 3)