5.0 out of 5 stars Great if not bottle feeding
I brought this for my son who is breast feed he took to it really well loves drinking from it, promotes independs, good buy.Bickiepegs Doidy Cup (Red)
Published on 21 April 2009 by Mr. Ad Ratcliffe-barrett

3.0 out of 5 stars Good cup but beware of the hype
Published on 14 Nov 2009 by Mamamellow

3.0 out of 5 stars Good cup but beware of the hype, 14 Nov 2009
This review is from: Bickiepegs Doidy Cup (Red) (Baby Product)
A friend bought my baby one of these cups for his first birthday and gave me all the gumph that comes with it - the articles and so on recommending it. Whilst I think the design is OK and I use it occasionally there are several things that concern me about the hype surrounding its use. In terms of functionality, it certainly makes drinking from an open cup slightly easier than a standard beaker with handles, although I do think the handles are not ergonomic enough and the design could be improved here.

Supposedly, health visitors recommend the use of this cup from 3 months onwards, even if a baby is breastfed. The reasons cited for the use of this cup extend from preventing bottle/spouty cup caries (tooth decay), to preventing speech impediments. The makers of this cup and health visitors would have us believe that feeding your child from a bottle or spouty cup after 6 months of age will lead to anything from tooth decay, malnutrition and speech impairment! However, if you read the research carefully, there is actually very little evidence to support these claims. I am a dentist and have a vested interest in my patients' oral health and have studied the articles carefully.

The evidence that bottle feeding and spouty cups can cause tooth decay is certainly clear - feeding a baby or child any sugary drinks such as squash or fruit juice through a bottle or spouty cup of any kind can and will cause tooth decay, sometimes quite severe necessitating removal of the baby teeth under general anaesthetic in severe cases. Formula feeds given to a baby in a bottle, whilst allowing the baby to suck for prolonged periods, can also, to some extent, cause tooth decay, although to a lesser extent as milk/formula are less 'cariogenic' than sugary drinks. (Cariogenic = causes tooth decay.) However, feeding your child milk in a bottle at feedtimes will not in itself cause extensive tooth decay, It's also unlikely you'll be able to feed a baby with a doidy cup successfully. Sucking is a natural reflex and provides babies with a great deal of comfort. Sucking in babies has been proven to produce 'happy hormones' that help create a relaxed, happy baby. Denying a baby this is just cruel!

The evidence to support the speech impairments from prolonged bottle feeding or spouty cup use is only anecodotal, which in the medical and dental world is worthless. Orthodontic teats are available if you are concerned (although, surprisingly the makers of this cup don't cite orthodontic problems as a reason not to prolong bottle feeding). 2 out of 3 of my children have drunk their morning and evening milk from a bottle until the age of 3 and both were early talkers and extremely articulate. However, this too is only anecdotal! All I'm saying is be cautious of this warning. You need not be concerned that your child will be unable to talk properly if you allow them to drink from a spouty cup or bottle! Even serious evangelists of this idea admit that speech improves once the bottle is stopped (where they say speech has been affected.)

Finally, the makers of this cup insinuate that prolonged feeding with a bottle or spouty cup can lead to malnutrition. However, if you read on, the cause of this malnutrition is from feeding babies/young children milky, sweetened tea. The tannins in tea prevent the absorption of iron leading to malnutrition (not to mention decay from adding sugar). So provided you are only giving your child water or milk in a bottle/spouty cup, then they shouldn't suffer any malnutrition if they are eating a varied and healthy diet.

All that aside, the design of this cup is good. Expect some mess from younger babies who will still be tempted to slosh and jiggle the cup. Being able to see the contents definitely helps them to sip and the tilted design means they don't have to tip it so far to get to the contents. I wish they'd improve the handles slightly and it seems quite cheaply made but other than that a great first cup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if not bottle feeding, 21 April 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Doidy cup has solved our problems, 5 April 2009
This review is from: Bickiepegs Doidy Cup (Red) (Baby Product)
When I was returning to work I needed a way my baby would drink my milk in my absence. After spending a huge amount on bottles (she would not take them) this cup was recommended. We brought two and my baby gets on really well with them, I would highly recommend this cup to anyone else in the same situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars really easy for my 6 month old to use!, 10 Oct 2013
Miss Burton "Kat" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bickiepegs Doidy Cup (Red) (Baby Product)
its just such a clever design, my 6 month old can happily handle it and drink. i would really recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Sep 2009
This review is from: Bickiepegs Doidy Cup (Red) (Baby Product)
Really like this cup. My son is practically able to drink by himself - he is 7 months old. Easy to wash, wish I had bought 2!

3.0 out of 5 stars Over rated, 2 Jun 2014
My son just spills it all over the place, struggle to see how a 3 month old would be able to use this. My baby is 7 months and cannot use it, don't believe all the hype

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 21 Mar 2011
My 6 month old daughter really wanted to be drinking from the same cup as me and kept trying to grab my glass. This cup she really likes as she can use it herself. Makes quite a mess but worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 3 July 2009
i rate the item 10 out of 10 but when i went to my baby group they were selling them for only 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars At last! Something she will feed from!, 22 Jun 2011
Trying to be a good mum and followed advice properly, I dutifully did not introduce my breast-fed daughter to a bottle until she was 8 weeks old. From that point followed a nightmare involving a lot of tears, 6 different brands of bottle and a LOT of wasted expressed milk! I was assured that when she hit 4 months old we could try introducing a cup and the doidy cup was recommended to me. She loves it! Because she can see the milk she seems to enjoy taking control. Despite her lack of motor skills she grabs for it and practically feeds herself. There is a lot of dribble and mess but she is taking milk in and best of all - no tears! Sleeping through and leaving night feeds to daddy here I come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Feb 2009
My 6 month old daughter won;t drink from a spout lidded beaker yet she drinks from this, its great.

Bickiepegs Doidy Cup (Red)
4.75