Style Name: 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch|Size: 8 Port|Change

on 8 March 2012
As the image shows, but not so clear after reading other resellers descriptions, I can confirm that this is the V2 GS108T-200UKS model in small grey box rather than the larger blue boxed V1.

I had previously installed a couple of GS108T's in a small school and the switches have worked reliably for a number of years and I was pleased with how it performed and what features it offered. When I wanted to take advantage of some of the features of a managed switch for home, my first port of call was the GS108T. After reading through the alternatives, it was not clear from the description whether this was a V1 or a V2, but the image showed a V2 so I took the plunge. I am pleased to say that it was the V2 that was delivered.

Having been use to the V1, I was surprised at how much smaller is it over the V1. Moving from rear entry to front entry was initially looking problematic, but the weight of the metal case of the unit and smaller size allowed me to tuck it on its side without it wanting to move under the tension of the cables that now had a 90 degree turn in them. Unfortunately not quite so easy to see what ports are active, but its only occasionally I need to do this.

Setup was simple and largely plug and play. I downloaded the management tool to check its IP address and change the password from the default. It configures by default via DHCP so was OK to plug straight in, but probably would not default to anything useful if it could not find the DHCP server. Hopefully it will recover OK after a power failure otherwise it may need a restart. Thankfully the ports of switch seems to work OK even if its IP address is on the same subnet. I don't think the V1 did. Updating the firmware was more problematical though and it took half dozen or more attempts to get the firmware update to complete successfully. Thankfully the GS108T seems quite tolerant of failed downloads.

To be honest, for home use, this switch is overkill. If you are not going to need the managed features, I would go for something more appropriate. If you do want to tinker, be aware that some options can cause issues. I ticked a box and later discovered that this option had disabled DHCP for that port.

The use of a POE (power over ethernet) port on a switch of this price is a nice addition. It does require another network device that can supply that power (such as its sister GS110TP), but it does give more options for remote placement if need be.

All in all, if you need the options offered by a managed or smart switch, this is a good buy. But being a more professional product, it is not as convenient for home use due to the added complexity and front placement of the network ports.
on 16 June 2010
'm not very IT literate when it comes to networking hardware. This product was very easy to set-up indeed and the ability to have some managment over it became very useful as I was able to connect both my 1GB ethernet ports on my NAS box and get them to act as one. If you do not want to get into the config then it works straight out of the box, and you play with the settings when you have done a little research.

Also, as a side bit of information, I found that data transsfer rates signifcantly improved when I set the IP address of my switch and connecting hardware as static as opposed to obtaining one through a DHCP server.

Great product - I ended up buying two. I have noticed they have a 5 port one too which I missed, I didn't really need to get a second 8 port switch.
on 4 December 2015
The main reason for acquiring this switch was to power a number of PoE WLAN Access Points around the house. I also planned to segment my work network from my children's computers, to keep my work devices completely separate from all other items in the house.

Out of the box this device is good and sturdy, the solid feel of the metal very reassuring.

Basic configuration was also pretty straight forward, the setup CD guides you through getting the device ready to be used in your network. I didn't use the fiber uplinks option, just a copper connection from my existing router.

PoE worked out of the box, no need to configure anything to run 3 x netgear WLAN APs.

Setting up the VLANs to create 2 separate networks proved a little tricky, but this was more to do with the less than amazing interface than a lack of functionality. Netgear support online was also very useful.

The fans do generate a bit of noise, i.e., you couldn't leave this switch out beside your television. Mine is tucked away in a television corner unit, and the noise is barely audible. It's been running now for 2 months without any hassle whatsoever.

I received this device as part of Netgear's "Friends and Family Evaluation Program". I'd recommend this switch for a small business or someone looking to set up a home office, PoE functionality in particular very useful. The only downside is the configuration interface, compared to lots of other Netgear products, this is a little clunky feeling, and not very appealing to look at. Luckily I haven't had to go near it since I set it up 2 months ago, so it's not a big deal!
on 8 June 2014
Initially it was used it to allow port monitoring using wireshark. It worked well. Later used as a normal switch and again worked flawlessly.
on 3 November 2015
I'll be honest.

When I first got these, I didn't love them at all. I played with them, then ripped them out and replaced them with my older, unmanaged versions.

I wanted managed switches so that I could put in VLANs to separate my IP telephony devices from my TVs from my computers from my wife's work computers and so on.

Not knowing much about VLANs didn't help, and the documentation is not necessarily the best, but in the end these have proven to be very good.

I have them working with a Linksys managed switch, various Draytek APs and firewall/routers, and with each other. It all hangs together flawlessly now, and everything is segmented beautifully.

These make perfect SOHO devices for segmenting networks. If you don't need that level of segmentation - and to be honest, most homes won't - then stick with their unmanaged cousins. But if you do want to segment your TVs/Sky box/media players/IoT devices from your main computers, then these are a perfectly sensible option in a wired network.
on 25 October 2011
Out of the box the switch works well as a regular Gigabit switch. On my network this replaced a low cost unmanaged Netgear switch. So I now have the control to enable/disable ports remotely and to separate the trusted (where my NAS unit resides) from the public/internet side of my home network on separate VLANS. Great price and has been working flawlessly since initial setup and hasn't required any reboots since. Very happy with this purchase.
on 15 December 2011
Great switch. I bought this because it supports spanning tree protocol (and newer derivatives) If you have a mixed wired and wireless Sonos network in your house / office you may be looking for a new switch which supports this protocol. In fact, you may be reading this wondering if it works with Sonos? The answer is yes. It is also very fast, reliable and has a good web interface. Thumbs up.
on 20 June 2013
Great bit of kit - the encryption on the web interface is a bit suspect and I wouldn't let it anywhere near a production network but for a small VMware homelab this ticks the boxes with LACP and VLANning support easy to setup. Runs a tad hot, certainly wouldn't want to hide it in a cupboard but sitting atop a bunch o'Microservers and the like it's pretty decent.
on 15 November 2015
Only issue I have had with this switch is the power and network ports are on different sides which makes for a slightly messy desktop installation. Other than that it's been great. I bought it for the trunking support and I was able to setup this feature without any issues.
on 2 December 2014
Bought to replace a couple of unmanaged netgear gs108 switches after connecting a new TV (ue55hu8200) cause problems with the house network and my sonos system.
Update - net topology changed and a loop created on my sonos network. To solve this I needed to set on switching>stp>spanning tree state to disable and BDPU flooding to all-enable. Sonos also recommend that Under multicast>IGMP snooping status set to enable too.