5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest animes out there.
If you're a fan of anime, you've most likely heard of naruto.
This long running series is a about a young yellow-haired ninja from the village of konahagakure (or village hidden in the leaves) and his journey towards earning the title of hokage (villages top ninja and leader). At birth, the spirit of a nine-tailed demon fox which attacked the village was imprisoned...
Published on 21 May 2008 by J. Snook

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing one thing other than that. An ok box set.
Now don't count the star rating for the series, it would be higher the only reason I have done that because of one major complaint. Episode 26, that last episode of this box set which is a filler is missing the special intro before the Opening title.
We have Naruto and Konohamaru talking to the audience saying we have a brand new intro (Opening 2) and that they are...
Published 21 months ago by BDT87

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great present, 6 Oct 2014
This review is from: Naruto Unleashed - Complete Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Bought for grandson he was so pleased

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Editing and Patronising Exposition mar a good character driven series, 7 July 2008
H (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naruto Unleashed - Complete Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I don't mind anime with little story line, so long as the characters are interesting enough. Shows like Love Hina, or Noir may have little or a slow story, but it's the characters that make you watch. Naruto, thankfully has some very interesting ones.

If you were put off by the Anglicization of this show (as I was from showings on Jetix), the Japanese soundtrack is a lot more tolerable: Naruto comes across as the lovable, cheeky scamp he's meant to be, rather than a brash, annoying and grating idiot. This happens all to often in Japanese to English casting, but there's nothing you can do about it, save watch it in its original language. All the original scenes of blood, violence and other bad habits, have been restored, which goes some way to avoid making this show about inanimate characters, barely moving their lips as hey bore us with exposition and idle threats to each other.

I want to like this show, I really do. I'm trying. But I just can't watch more than 4 episodes in a row; precisely why I bought the DVDs. The problem is the editing, and the mindless repeating of previous events.

Of the 25 minutes each episode takes to play form start to finish, 5 is taken up by the opening and closing credits. Not bad, there's still 20 minutes remaining. But no. If the last episode was a cliffhanger, or needed closure (and from the way this show is paced, most of them do), anywhere between 1 and 5 minutes will be taken up replaying that same amount from the last episode. Seriously. There's no "Previously on ..." recap, its just the main events a the end of the show, repeated almost verbatim.

Then there's the endless flashbacks of previous events, either explaining stuff you've heard over and over, or reminding us of a characters history (which I don't mind so much). Episode 14 was for some reason a recap of the previous 13, with about 7 minutes of actual progression (well, the animation looked new, but not a lot else). Was it so long ago? Did we really need a recap for the last 4 (and change) hours?

It's clear this is a throw away series; not meant to be watched in quick succession. As a once a week thing, I'm sure it would work, but it's sad that even if they merged 2 episodes together, removing the flashbacks and redundant exposition, you'd still only have a 25 minute episode.

Despite a 12 certificate, I think Naruto was meant for a much younger audience. Anime usually deals with more adult issues, compared to western animation. And whilst Naruto has its fair share, it spoils it by explaining certain things like you'd see on Sesame Street. One example is when a powerful rogue ninja threatens Naruto's teacher (paraphrasing): "If you intervene in the fight over there, I will make a go for my target". There is then a 3 minute period where the teacher, has to think about this (repeating what the ninja told him), explaining all the possible actions he can perform, for our benefit. I mean really! I've watched anime aimed at a younger audience that isn't as patronising.

I was looking forward to collecting these series, at the price they are now (£17), 26 episodes seemed like a bargain. But with as little as 7-12 minutes of decent story and character development (without credits, repeated animations, flashbacks), in a given episode, I have to wonder if I've been had.

I'm in two minds about getting the next series. I could easily try another anime for the same price. I love the endearing characters and the story is a good one (despite taking its sweet time), but the lazy, patronising editing really does take its toll. If anyone can watch this series for longer than an hour and a half, it must be down to either ADHD, or senility. For now I'll stick to one disk an evening.

I would have given this 4 stars. But after spending 5 episodes with our heroes stuck on a foggy bridge, fighting very little (in fact barely moving, despite lives their being at stake), and talking like battle can be paused, I had to take it down another. There's only so much you can take of Naruto's screaming about being the best ninja, and multiplying himself at every oppertunity; Sasuke's thoughts on how Naruto's an idiot, despite doing little to get out of a mirror-prison; Sakura's whining about not being able to help, and asking her teacher to explain everything (despite being the cleverest student); and the Teacher drawing out (literally) everything he wants to do in diagram form.

When the action does happen, or when we learn something new about a character, Naruto's fresh and vibrant, sometimes tugging at the heart-strings. But compared to 2/3rd of the rest, paint drying would be exciting. Perhaps it will develop more in the next few series, but I might never find out. If you see these box-sets for £10 anywhere, it's probably worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great movie!, 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: Naruto Unleashed - Complete Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Lots of laughs, great family movie very enjoyable!

Would recommend this! :)

My son loved it, he can't stop watching them now!

5.0 out of 5 stars The roots of my Naruto Addiction, 23 Jun 2008
This review is from: Naruto Unleashed - Complete Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is the first of many an incredible series which has had me completely hooked for a good few months now. Naruto mixes action, a gripping storyline and comedy in a fantastic and unique world.

Naruto has a mature and sophisticated storyline which sets it apart from your typical 'cartoon'. Originally from a manga comic Naruto is massive in Japan and has now thankfully been translated for us Brits to enjoy.

It will genuinely make you laugh, cry and cheer all the way through. It delves deep into a large variety of unique characters which makes you connect with them and makes the story even more captivating.

I would say it is suitable for all ages and is one of the best programmes around! Believe it!

5.0 out of 5 stars best manga ever, 21 Mar 2009
This review is from: Naruto Unleashed - Complete Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
naruto is the story of a young ninja who has a great demon called the nine tailed fox sealed inside him by his father in the process his father died leaving him orphaned. the first series follows naruto as he fights to gain accepteance from the village as they look on him with fear for the monster inside him. all in all naruto is the best and most original manga for many years and will be enjoyed by generarions to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 13 Jan 2008
K (Scotland, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naruto Unleashed - Complete Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I've never watched Naruto before but I've heard loads of people say it's amazing and it really is! I love it sooo much, me and my brother have been waiting for it to arrive and when it did, we couldn't stop watching it since! You should really get it here instead of at the shops because here it's really cheap, no matter what the offer is, Amazon has got the best price probably. I see this at the shops but it's like £40 and obviously it was too expensive but once I saw this my parents agreed to buy it for me.

This is a great DVD, recommended for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 3 Jan 2009
H. Gray (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naruto Unleashed - Complete Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I've been a massive fan of Digimon since, well.. forever, and just recently began exploring other Japanese anime. I was browsing the internet for Elfen Lied episodes and after stumbling upon the Japanese sub for the first episode of Naruto I went straight ahead and bought this.

It's amazing! Story is great, and the English dub is very good. Makes you feel all fuzzy, I especially adore the ending theme.. so haunting. Prepare to become addicted!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›