4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent...but the content is disappointing.
I'm sure if you've played GH1 or 2 then you will want this game. Basically GH is overall, in my opinion, is one of the most addictive and brilliant games ever released.
Published on 2 Nov. 2007 by J. Senior

3.0 out of 5 stars A good game but does not live up to expectations
Published on 27 Aug. 2007 by Mr. Gavin N. Leonard

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A good game but does not live up to expectations, 27 Aug. 2007
Mr. Gavin N. Leonard "bungothefish" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2) (Video Game)
If you own guitar hero 1 and 2 You will no doubt want to buy this game for the extra songs, just to expand your repertoir. However, be warned, This game feels as though it is a bit of an interim game whilst the programmers fully develop guitar hero 3. Many of the features of hero 1 and 2 are missing, you can not buy new outfits for your characters, there are no extra songs by unsigned bands on here, and all of the venues and effects have been ported straight from the first two games, which seems a little lazy. Also the track list is not as good as the first ganes (I had only heard of about half of the songs on 80s before).
Having said all this the gameplay is still great fun and it really is more of the same. The whole guitar hero series is brilliant fun, particularly with 2 controllers. So my advice is to buy this to expand your song list, but don't expect to enjoy it as much as the first two games in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, but worthwhile for Guitar Hero nuts, and fans of the playlist, 31 July 2007
This review is from: Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2) (Video Game)
Guitar Hero: Rock the 80's is essentially a song pack, rather than the kind of step up that Guitar Hero 2 was from the original. How much you enjoy the game will depend directly on how highly you rate the tracklist, so make sure you have a good look through it and try to play some songs first before leaping to buy it on the strength of the other titles.

This version is 80s-centric (obviously) and lacks the "something for everyone" range of the first two games. Also, it does not feature a collection of bonus tracks like in GH1 and GH2, which removes a large amount of longevity and replay factor from the title.

Personally, I found that there was a good handful of tracks that I liked, but too many which were uninteresting (both to listen to and and to play) for it to have been worth the purchase.

Definitely worth a try though, and if you like the music on it then a solid addition to a Guitar Hero collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 8 Aug. 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2) (Video Game)
I thought I knew a bit about the 1980s (being a teenager at the time) but I have to confess I really don't know remember many of these tunes.
Having played all the songs I don't think it is a game which has too much replay value due to the poor choice of tracks.
However, if you like Guitar Hero then it is worth purchasing for some more guitar mashing action. But beware, it is the poorest edition released yet and they will need to clean up their act quickly if they are to challenge the soon to be release Rock Band game.
Another negative, is that hardly anything new has been added into the features of the game.
To wrap up, ok for a quick strum but I doubt you'll be coming back to it very often after a couple of weeks if you have played the earlier versions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent...but the content is disappointing., 2 Nov. 2007
J. Senior "JLS" (West Yorkshire,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2) (Video Game)
Overall, with GH games, you cannot fault the basics, being able to pl;ay classic rock tunes without leaving your home, with a superb multiplayer system. However, on this particular installation of the series, the title reads "Rocks the 80's", this game is quite average when trying to fulfill that title.
The gameplay, don;t get me wrong, is superb, faultless in some ways, but the reason I have only given this game 4 stars when it could have so easily been 5, is because the song selection isn't as exciting as the other two installations. I mean; In GH1 you have Iron Man, Smoke on the Water, Bark at the Moon and Crossroads...some of the most famous rock songs of all time and very fun to play. In GH2, again you have some classics, such as: Freebird, Sweet Child O' Mine, War Pigs, You Really Got Me, Strutter etc. In this game, you don't have such as large list of fun, enjoyable games to play, which Is why I am dissapointed at the content.
Please, don't get me wrong, there are some real rock classics in here like Wrathchild, I Wanna Rock, Round and Round, real 80's classics. But the majority of the rest isn't so well known and fun to play and this is why I think it doesn't fulfill its title, the 80's had bigger and better songs than what is in this game. Metallica were made in the 80's, Bon Jovi was 80's, loads of classic bands and artists were 80's material, and wern't put in this game...WHY!?!?!?
This is what I am most dissapointed about this game, otherwise, it's superb; addictive (even with the less fun setlist), and overall a very good game.
If you haven't played a GH game before, I recommend (for the real GH experience) either GH 1 or 2, trust me it's very addictive and fun to play. However, if you have played the previous games, BUY IT ANYWAY! Although the setlist isn't great, its still addictive and still very fun to play, just be warned that the setlist in my opinion isn't great, so you might not get that thrill you got from GH 1 or 2.

Thanks to all reading and I hope you take into account my opinions and recommendations.

4.0 out of 5 stars You know the drill., 31 July 2007
This review is from: Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2) (Video Game)
If you're a fan of the first two games in this series then you will know what to expect. This edition of the game, as the name plainly says, consists of songs from the eighties. There is a smattering of 'new wave' tunes but the majority is what the eighties were famous for - dreadful hair metal like Ratt, Quiet Riot or Winger.
However, don't let that put you off. This plays just as well as Guitar Hero II and the bombastic, widdly songs suit the very essence of the game. Even if you are unfamiliar with the tunes you will thoroughly enjoy playing them, although there are some duff ones (Only a Lad - awful). I couldn't stand metal when I was growing up in the 80s but still find this entertaining. But I found it really easy on medium mode and only failed one of the 30 songs on my first attempt. (I had to play it on medium to hear the songs and get a feel for them as I only knew about 5 or 6 of them!)I shall be moving on to hard now...
There are a few minor quibbles-there are no options to buy extra clothes for your characters, there is no Clive Winston, no more songs to buy and the tilt sensitivity seems to be have tweaked so you use Star Power frequently when you're trying to hang fire. And the game is still £30 in most shops even though it is little more than an add on to fill the gap between GH II and GH III in the autumn.
But still worth getting if you are an addict of small plastic guitars as you will have exhausted the previous editions. Go on, rock yourself once again. And get your buddies round for the fab multiplayer option!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Anticipated, but a little bit of a let down!!!!, 29 July 2007
Amazon Customer (Pontypool, South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2) (Video Game)
I have been waiting for this game for months & months and purposly didn't look at any announcements of the final track listing prior to my purchase.

the game/menu layout is exactly the same a GH 2 (except from some rather bizzare colour choices!)

I'd have to give the track listing a 2.5 out of 5 as there are a lot of songs that are not immediatly recognisable, and whereas GH 1 & 2 had a lot of tracks that were "growers" this doesn't seem to have the same quality of songs. best tracks are "Turning Japanese, Play with Me, Nothin' but a Good Time, Ballroom Blitz & Hang On Loosely (i'd never heard this song before but it's excellent, classic 80's rock balladry!!!!).

having only progressed to 'meduim' difficulty setting on the previous 2 gh games, i have to say that this does feel easier than the other 2 games when set to 'Hard' difficulty (i managed to get thru "Turning Japanese" on pretty much my 2nd go on hard setting)

there are also no bonus songs to unlock or buy from the in-game shop (you can only buy extra guitars & skins) so it does feel a little unfinished & rushed by Activision & i suppose to some may feel a bit of a 'cash-in'.

that said, i am happy with the purchase and although this may not be in my PS2 as much as the previous GH games, it is still a good addition to the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good a GH game as any, 18 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2) (Video Game)
So many people have been knocking this game for the apparent 'poor setlist'.
This is absolutely untrue. The songs on this games are excellent quality and arguably more fun to play than a lot of the GHII songs.

Examples of really fun songs:
Electric Eye
Police Truck
Caught In A Mosh
Wrathchild
Turning Japanese

The only downside about this game is the limited number of songs. With around 50 on the original GH game, 64 on GHII, this addition only holds 30 songs, and while it's a stong setlist, it means it has slightly less replay value.
Difficulty wise? It's about on par with GHII. Most people say it's easier, but in general, some of the guitar solos on this game are very intense, songs that seem easy at first, throw something very difficult in halfway through.

I'd recommend this to fans of GH, even though it's essentially something to hold us off until GHIII, it's just as fun as you'd hope. If you've never played games in the series, get them in order. They seem to get slightly harder each time. So start off easy.

3.0 out of 5 stars WORKS ON PS3!, 3 Dec. 2007
Amazonian Native (Amazon Rainforest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2) (Video Game)
I'm not going to add anything about the game as the other reviews are spot on about it, it's more of the same but most of the songs are poor or average, I bought it mainly for The Vapours 'Turning Japanese' and The Police's Synchronicty II".

But I can confirm that with the latest update for the Playstation 3's software Version 2.1 of Late November 07 that this does indeed play on it, there is a little bit of trouble with the intro video and you cannot select the tutorial but everthing else seems to work fine, I've played many a song on it and it's great, and looks great too on the PS3. please note that I only played with the wireless Sixaxis controller and not with the Wireless guitar controller for the PS3, but because it works with the PS3's official wireless controller I don't see any reason why it shouldn't with the Wireless Les Paul guitar they made especially for the Ps3 that comes with Guitar Hero 3. Incidentally if you are wondering, Guitar Hero 1 and 2 don't currently work on the PS3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best game ever, with new song, 2 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2) (Video Game)
GH: rocks the 80's is basically guitar hero 2 but with 30 new songs. This does not include the songs from guitar hero 2. I got it Friday morning, and nearly a week later, am still playing as much as I did on Friday, even though I did complete it in 3 1/2 hours, I'm still enjoying it. And, if you keep uploading your scores onto scorehero.com, you can keep track of how well you're doing in the world. I'm 465th at the moment.

I'm 2 songs away from 5*in all of the songs. Those are "play with me" which is an amazingly fun song to play, and "ballroom blitz". A few more songs that are good are "holy diver", "18 and life", "turning Japanese" and "only a lad".

So, in conclusion, if you have only bought guitar hero 2 in the past few months, i'd say stick out till guitar hero 3, but, if like me, you got guitar hero 2 and 1 a while ago, id say you should get it seeing as the 30 songs will pass the time between now and guitar hero 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same thing?, 30 July 2007
J. Knights (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2) (Video Game)
I only just got my game with no thanks to Royal Mail......

My friend (who got it from game) described it as Guitar Hero 1. As the songs are bland.

I disagree. The songs are brilliant, if a little simple to begin with.
Anyone who has the previous 2 games should have no trouble cruising through songs getting 5 stars 1st time on expert.
But they do get harder as you'd expect.

The first thing I noticed about the game was it's the same as GH2.
Just different songs and different colour menus.

Even the intro is the same as GH2.
Not that it matters, as I didn't by the game to look at the menu screens.

I think the price could've been dropped to £20 as you on't exactly get much. But this is a brilliant addition to one of my favourite gaming series.

If you like GH1&2, you'll love this just the same.
It's definitely something to keep us busy until GH3 comes out!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2)
Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2) by Activision (PlayStation2)