5.0 out of 5 stars Dimmu Borgir take note...
Shagrath and chums from Black metal Uber group, Dimmu Borgir, must listen to this album and cringe in self inflicted embarrassment.
Published on 5 Oct 2007 by Tom

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into it.
Published on 17 Nov 2010 by T. Clancy

5.0 out of 5 stars Dimmu Borgir take note..., 5 Oct 2007
This review is from: Apostasy (Audio CD)
The Apostasy proves once and for all that if you can write superb extreme metal songs, play them expertly and tightly, and further capture the listeners attention with what can only be described as 'furiously good tunes', then you don't need Choirs on every track, keyboards keeping it sweet in the melody department, or indeed selling your story to every metal mag this side of Hades to glean the attention of those people who might be sitting on the fence when it comes to "extreme" metal.
Behemoth play all out raucous death metal. Lets put this "extreme" tag to bed for now eh? For that is what it is. All out, unashamed DEATH METAL !
If you like hyper blasts, growling from the pits of the stomach vocals, wailing lead work and driving death metal riffage, this album is for you.
Ok, so its not far departed from their previous work, but like Nile, "if you've got it... you've got it !!!"
Behemoth really do pervey a sense of beastial rage on every track on this album.
The best example of Nergal and co's ability as players, and the man himself as song writer must be the track 'Inner Sanctum'. It has everything the modern death metal tune should contain. Blasting drums, light speed in places, coupled with memorable heavy riffs, Ear peircing and very tight solos and Nergal's vehement vocals. The bass, thanks to the clean production is also quite audiable on most of the tracks on The Apostasy.
The production of death metal albums is always a sticky point with many fans liking it a little bit dirgy, whilst others favour the clean crisp metallic sound, which The Apostasy has been recorded in. I like both styles, but I have to say it suits Behemoth's sound, in my own humble opinion.
Lets not get into the rights and wrongs of the lyrical content. Or the politics that they in themselves may throw up for arguement or heated discussion within the world of "extreme" (death) metal.
Lets just sit back, crank up the volume to 11 and get down to the musical horned beast that is The Apostasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing and brutal...., 30 Aug 2007
JR Pemberton (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apostasy (Audio CD)
After the stunning DEMIGOD album, BEHEMOTH somehow manage to go up another length on the ladder of extremity with THE APOSTASY. A stunning and relentless album that never lets up during its 11 tracks, yet at the same time as pushing the extremes of death metal, BEHEMOTH also bring in influences from eastern music, choral chants, instumental tracks and in 'inner sanctum' a haunting and sinister piano track. Add to that the playing both from Nergal in lead guitar, Orion on bass, and the relentless drumming of Inferno, also show that these guys can play extreme music well and have a huge amount of talent. Where they go from here will be very, very interesting. Do get this album you will not be dissapointed, and also try and catch them live as they are also amazing on stage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Behemoth - The Apostasy, 30 Aug 2007
Craig McLaughlin (Preston, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apostasy (Audio CD)
After beginning their career as a black metal band in the early '90s, Behemoth has evolved more and more toward death metal with each successive release. The Polish group's latest effort has a few black metal influences, but moves even further towards death metal.
The Apostasy is a crushing album that also has fantastic musicianship. Behemoth also infuses some Middle Eastern influences into a few of the songs, which adds an interesting flavor. Inferno's drumming is really good, and whether he's playing blast beats at lightning speed or keeping a monster groove on the slower songs, his playing is flawless. The songs on this album are really catchy, and the main reason is that are so many different clever riffs packed into each track. Nergal has some interesting solos, but the riffs are what are really memorable.

Speaking of Nergal, his distinctive vocals are a little more raw than on the past couple albums. There's also a guest appearance from Nevermore's Warrel Dane on the song "Inner Sanctum." Between the less produced vocals and the increased speed and intensity on the songs, this is Behemoth's most extreme CD so far, and one of their best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Behemoth - The Apostasy, 21 May 2011
Michael (Hastings, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apostasy (Audio CD)
I'm not a massive fan of death metal, I like a few groups, but I don't go nuts for the music. Behemoth have been one of those bands where I like to dip my toe in the water now and again, listen to a few tracks here and there thinking a few songs to listen to is great, but I doubt a whole album would keep my full attention from first song to last (my attention span's not all that). As of late I've been itching to hear more and more Behemoth, so I took a chance and bought this album. To my surprise it's not all blast beats, tremelo picking and full on speed when it gets to the point where the next track sounds like the last - quite the opposite.
The music is varied, easily holding full attention throughout.
Awesome, awesome drumming, ranging from fast paced, mid paced to slow paced, full on double bass drumming to massive rolls, an inspiring monster sound needed to be heard to be believed.
Harsh and brutal vocals, but easy to understand reading the lyrics, so it's not all gutteral noise, but very fitting to the music and lyrical themes.
Lyrics are very anti-Christian, but not in a cheddar way. Very deep and historical, hateful, yes, but absorbing and intelligent.
Guitars - what solos! Not overlong either, 30 seconds perhaps - they get to the point. Riffing is to the ultimate maximum, great changes, smoothe and flowing.
Bass was kinda lost in the mix for me, maybe on next listen I'll turn the bass volume up. It's in there somewhere...

My conclusion is this: For a band such as Behemoth (here being the band itself), entering with an open mind is a must, otherwise it's just noise. The roots go deeper that what's on show. This album isn't overly long, 40 minutes, which is a nice length. I'm pleased to say, although not a massive death metal follower, Behemoth are one of a kind.
Do as I did, dip your toe in the water then take a swim.

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into it., 17 Nov 2010
T. Clancy (Helsinki) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apostasy (Audio CD)
I've tried to listen to this album for a few years now (since it was released), and it just goes passed me. Everytime I have it on I just tune out, I don't know what it is about this album, but it really does nothing for me. I don't go around and give bad reviews after only a few listens, I've listened to this album 30-40 times, and there comes a point where I've got to say "it just won't work for you". Maybe it's because this is their first proper DM album, or that it followed Demigid....there's just something about this album that won't stick with me. I don't hate it, but I am really unimpressed, for me to hate something there's got to be something really wrong with it.

Demigod is a fantastic album, it's got upmh, and so does Evangelion, which The Apostasy lacks for me, there's nothing there demanding my attention. I'm not a modern Death Metal fan (but old school DM intrests me), most modern Death Metal has nothing there for me to grab onto, and that's what I get with this album, just an overall feeling of emptiness. Yes there are a few good songs that can stand out, At the Left Hand of God for one, but I just can't pinpoint anyother song that can grab my attention (there might be the odd rift here and there but that's it).

Unfortunately it's an album that leave me with a hole that I need to fill with something else.

3.0 out of 5 stars ..an unrighteous maelstrom..., 23 Jun 2007
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Apostasy (Audio CD)
Well I may be thinking aboot flitting, but I'm not moving to the unfortunately named 'Christgrinder Avenue, the closing track on the latest album by Polish death metallers, Behemoth. I mean, there you'd be, mowing the lawn one Saturday morning, and the next thing, you'd hear an industrial grinder revving up, and it's 'oh, no, there go the neighbours having another day of Christgrinding'. Bloody Poles, coming over, taking our jobs, grinding our Messiahs, whatever next'.

It's album number eight proper from Behemoth, and it's pretty much if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so it's pretty indistinguishable from predecessor 'Demigod' (a top 20 album on Poland, fact fans). But I'm reasonably sure that's what their hordes of fans will want, and it's their consistency that's hauled them near the top of the extreme metal ladder. Hell, Nergal and the boys have even bagged a slot on this years Ozzfest.

The Second Epistle to the Thessalonians is most often cited concerning apostasy, saying "Let no man deceive you by any means, for unless there come a revolt first, and the man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition". Probably the most famous apostate was Flavius Claudius Iulianus, a Roman Emperor of the Constantinian dynasty, who was the last pagan Roman Emperor, and who tried to reform the traditional worship as a measure to stop the decay of his world. Christian sources commonly refer to him as Julian the Apostate, because of his rejection of Christianity and conversion to Theurgy, a late form of Neoplatonism, a school of religious and mystical philosophy that took shape in the 3rd century AD, based on the teachings of Plato.

Which makes Behemoths appropriation of the term a little bit suspect as apostasy is a term generally employed to describe the formal renunciation of one's religion, something I think is a little late in the day for a band singing about the 'Slaying The Prophets Ov Isa' and 'At The Left Hand Ov God', a place reserved for the Archangel Gabriel who, I suspect, wouldn't really approve of Behemoth.

But, fans of the genre and Behemoth will love this. They whip up an unrighteous maelstrom, even through a slightly muted, overly dry production, with the aforementioned 'The Left Hand Ov God' and 'Be Without Fear' completely captivating.

Apostasy
Apostasy by Behemoth (Audio CD - 2008)