5.0 out of 5 stars Interpol - Our Love To Admire
You will not find Interpol straying far from what they know on this, their third LP. Musically, the band have developed very little. Bar the introduction of Keyboards into the mix, there is very little to distinguish the sound of album number three from Antics or Turn on the Bright Lights. It remains minimalist alternative Indie, with a slightly greater emphasis on the...
Published on 23 Nov 2007 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Our Love To Admire/Interpol
Interpol's third offering is a bit of a disappointment.Gone is the sharp,fast-paced guitar songs of the brillant Turn On The Bright Lights and Antics.Replaced with an almost cautious take on things.It works in some senses.Opener Pioneer To The Falls and closer The Lighthouse,are two fine examples of Interpol's new approach.Two swirling guitar epics,full of drama.This is...
Published on 7 Mar 2008 by diarmuid hickey

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep listening, 11 Feb 2008
K. Hallam "kthal1" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
Having touted Interpol as my favourite band ever, after a couple of listens to this album, I was disappointed that it all sounded the same. I couldn't distinguish any of the songs and stopped listening. As a hardened fan though, it wasn't long before I picked it up and tried again, and the more I listened, the more I grew to like it. More subtle than their previous two albums, and without an obvious hit, the album is a grower that will eventually stand the test of time and become an all-time, moody, atmospheric, but mostly favourite album.

4.0 out of 5 stars no one could top 'turn on the bright lights', but im happier with lateral moves than backwards steps, 14 Aug 2007
Mr. J. H. Shaw "ziggyshaw164" (Burton on Trent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
okay. so interpol are my favorite band. i listened to their debut album three or four times a day for probably a year. i think 'stella was a diver' is one of the most beautiful songs i have ever heard. antics was good, but paul banks was a happier man, and so it had a different feel to their debut. 'Our Love To Admire' is a great record. Interpol have set the bar so high that they cannot top their first album, but i would say that their third LP is on par or possibly better than antics.
Heinrich Maneuver, Who Do You Think? and No I in Threesome, the three tracks that shout SINGLE from every note, are all excellent. But its the quiet, desperate moments, such as in 'rest my chemistry' when Banks sings 'she's so young....', or the fear in his voice on 'pioneer to the falls' that captivate more.
Also, much has been made of the final two tracks, that they dont feel like Interpol tracks, or that they are weak songs that end the album on a dull note. I couldn't disagree more. 'Wrecking Ball' and 'Lighthouse' both push the interpol sound in different directions, while being subtle enough to be unmistakably the work of kessler, fogarino, banks and carlos d. The vocals sound so distant on Wrecking Ball, but still defiant. And Lighthouse is a song that is catching a lot of flak right now for being 'experimental'.....since when is experimentation a cause for disdain? I think its one of their greatest moments as a band. Beautiful, and lovelorn, with just the tiniest glimmer of hope. Its why i love this band. If a fourth album is on the cards, expect further small steps and lateral moves. Evolve or die isnt just a catchphrase.
oh, and anyone who claims editors have made interpol unneccessary is deceiving themselves. editors could have, and probably were, created in a marketing office.
z x

4.0 out of 5 stars I felt you so much today, 3 Aug 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
It's been three years since Interpol last released an album, the solid sophomore album "Antics," and only a year since they signed onto a major label.

But like Modest Mouse and the Decemberists, they aren't changing their sound to try to get MTV videos and commercial play. Instead, the New York band keeps chugging along with what they've always done -- lean, dramatic rock'n'roll with choppy edges, and some explorations into new territory.

It opens with a gently circling riff and what sounds like chimes. "Show me the dirt pile/And I will pray that the soul can take/Three stowaways/Vanish with no guile/And I will not pay/But the soul can wait," Paul Banks sings over a sensual, textured rock song that grows more intense with every second. "So much for me believing that sorrow/So much for dreams we see but never care to know/Your heart makes me feel..."

And that's just the warmup. Interpol stretches out into different kinds of choppy, Joy-Division style rock'n'roll -- the blazing rapid-fire "Heinrich Maneuver," ringing sinuous rock'n'roll, swirling guitars, grimy classic rockers, mournful guitar pop, and a timid ballad that blooms into a sprawling anthem of shifting voices.

It finishes on a great note -- the epic "Lighthouse," a fuzzy grey sprawl of rippling guitar and strings, with only Banks singing like a regretful ghost. It's completely different from all the other songs, and though it's a jump into the dark for Interpol, it pays off beautifully.

In fact, the finale is just the more extreme example of what Interpol play around with here -- in some of "Our Love to Admire's" songs, they weave in some smooth piano or epic moments. Most of the album sticks to what they have always done (albeit with more polish), but they do explore some new soundscapes -- which hopefully will lead to more of the same.

But the main force of the music is the solid rock'n'roll sound, as doomy as ever -- dark, sharp, ringing riffs and some thudding bass, along with solid drums to keep a beat going. Occasionally they diddle with other sounds as well, like fuzz bass or long quiet riffs, and the album is lightly sprinkled with brief piano, stretches of cold synth, and a few little chimes in the quiet moments.

The songs themselves aren't much more chipper. In his rich, sensual voice, Banks sings of broken loves, "molten skies," past anger, and some relationships that turn really creepy ("And I can bind you with no ties/and lease time and watch you fall"). But it's not all misery -- one song describes a man who "lives my life in cocaine," and a "daisy" girl who inspires him to stop.

"Our Love To Admire" edges into some new territory, but mostly stays safe in the solid, ringing rock'n'roll that they've done before. And even then, they've given their old sound some new twists -- very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Potential Virgin Interpol Fan, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
Like me it came on a recommendation. If you like Joy Division, the Editors etc then give it a whirl and by God it grows on you. "No 1 Threesome" especially. Give it a try, what have you got to lose - there's so much mainstream rubbish out there, thank God for bands like Interpol.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another..., 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
... winner from Interpol, although the picture is slightly disturbing but hey... life is like that. Best album yet me thinks.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Good News Is ..., 20 July 2007
Mr. A. F. Caldwell "Killiefan99" (North Ayrshire) - See all my reviews
this album is brilliant!

I listened to this album with some trepidation as Interpol are probably my favourite band. First couple of listens suggested quite a monotonous record, with quite a trebly production which left me thinking, where the hell is Carlos D?

However, I needn't have worried. Repeated listens show this album to be a masterclass in modern guitar music, this time with plenty of electronica. Carlos D is in there, but his work is a bit more subtle this time. The focus moves towards Paul Banks voice, which is as interesting as ever and holds up well given its not the bands strongest point, although some of the lyrics remain as obtuse as ever.

This record stands up well against the modern classic TOTBL and is probably a song or two stronger than Antics. Top tunes all round, my favourites being the slow burning opener Pioneer To The Falls and the grinding Rest My Chemistry, in fact the only weak track is the closer which attempts to go all Sergio Leoni and fails miserably.

So thats it, Interpol go from strength to strength and my faith in this important band remains. Editors who?

5.0 out of 5 stars New Yorks Finest, 23 Dec 2007
Mr. David J. Wright (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
The third album by Interpol is their finest (or most polished) to date. It may take a few listens but it's all there. If your into your indie / alternative music this is a highly recomended buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars The third Interpol album, 13 July 2007
Jason Parkes "We're all Frankies'" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
Interpol's second LP Antics failed to commercially breakthrough, though the Interpol toured epically in support of it. Our Love to Admire is Interpol's major label debut, there is a distinct fear that the 'Pol (as they're never called etc...) might turn into a U2-band like The Killers, or worse, end up as a Simple Minds-style take on the dreary Editors. Our Love to Admire is quite reassuring, Interpol sounding like...Interpol - a glum, somewhat studied band who couldn't be mistaken for a Coldplay or Keane in any line-up. I've never really seen the frequent Joy Division-comparisons, apart from Paul Banks' vocals live and the first few seconds of 'PDA' - but there are definite reminders of bands from the past: Comsat Angels, the Bunnymen, The Sound, The Chameleons & Kitchens of Distinction. Interpol do manage to transcend these influences, and with Our Love to Admire they take the sound of Turn on the Bright Lights and Antics and give things a vaster treatment.

With the Pol's drummer Sam Fogarino suffering nerve damage and bassist Carlos D blogging about classical music and starting to think about soundtracks, the Interpol sound has changed. It is in a wider screen, more expansive, though not remotely bombastic - epic opener 'Pioneer to the Falls' as classic an opener as 'Next Exit' or 'Untitled' - but with a dub quality and the kind of jazz-classical sound you'd expect from a late period Talk Talk record. I wasn't sure about this record first of all, probably scared it would be as empty as the last two U2 records - where Antics was fairly instant with songs like Evil, NARC, Slow Hands and C'Mere - Our Love to Admire isn't - the songs take awhile to reveal themselves, overall it feels like the original Bunnymen delivering a Spirit of Eden.

'No I in Threesome' and 'The Scale' don't give the expected kicks, the former is like early REM with avant classical piano - a song that improves with every listen. I do hope the Interpol sets features more of this record, thus far they have only regularly played about 4 songs - 'No I in Threesome' should be one of them. 'The Scale' is another joy, having a riff that is sort of prog post-punk with expansive keyboards, this sounds like huge stuff, again, not bombastic - filling up space completely. The final section featuring a distorted E-Bow suggests they should focus more on the post rock than post punk - maybe they should release something that isn't song/vocal based in the future?

Single 'The Heinrich Maneuver' will no doubt give those enamoured with Antics what they wanted, a pulsing 'Evil'-style rocker that offers a narrative of a disintegrating couple on the other side of the States. Suitably fractal and managing to get away with some of the slightly nonsensical lyrics of yore. Not many folk could get away with "today my heart swings!" - 'Heinrich' is a tight, angular beast and not that poppy, so probably quite a curious single choice - the concluding riffs are as tight as Josef Ferdinand or Fugazi. The next track 'Mammoth' initially sounds like the latter part of 'Heinrich', but instead reveals itself to be the centre of the album and probably the highlight. It sounds like Screaming Trees playing Psychedelic Furs, which is more than alright where I reside - a definite psychedelic vibe is detected with the swirling guitarscape. More please!!

'Pace is the Trick' looks more to the ballad side of Interpol, a suitably epic sounding ballad that in time will no doubt take its place alongside 'NYC', 'The New', 'A Time So Small', or 'Public Pervert'. The next track 'All Fired Up' attempts a curious time signature, the sort of thing you get with Prince's 'Dance On' or Husker Du's 'Terms of Psychic Warfare' - sadly it doesn't completely hang together, perhaps this should have been saved for b-side-dom? 'Rest My Chemistry' restores the quality instantly, another of the new songs that has been regularly played on this years tour - time will tell if it is an Interpol classic, but it's already sounding like one, despite the fact the guitar reminds me lots of 'Where Is My Mind?' by The Pixies!!

The final trio of songs will probably come across more with further listening, though it is possible a dud or three might be present. 'Who Do You Think' sounds a bit like songs like 'Obstacle 1' and 'Say Hello to the Angels', but at present doesn't sound as memorable as either. 'Wrecking Ball' is very, very keyboard heavy with chants and the like - Interpol are certainly trying; the closing track 'The Lighthouse' is an even more fractal affair, a little bit shoegaze, a little bit math/post rock - the band sounding they're moving more towards soundscapes akin to Seefeel, Sigur Ros, or Slowdive. The next Interpol record could be where things get really interesting? - in the meantime, this is a pretty decent third LP, Interpol advancing their sound and pointing towards their future. If you just want Antics or Turn on the Bright Lights again, why don't you just buy them again? In the meantime, there is Our Love to Admire...

4.0 out of 5 stars _____________________________________, 11 July 2007
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
New York's finest Interpol return with their third album " Our Love To Admire"

The lyric on mammoth "Spare me the suspense" could encapsulate the feelings of feelings prior to this album being released, as the band broke up four times between this record and antics, leaving many fans wondering if their third album would ever see the light of day.

Well they managed to dispense with the drama, iron out their difference and release their third effort, their first release to be released on a major label.

On first listen this appears to be know different than what the band have done before, it sound like just another dark and brooding Interpol effort, which is.

But each listen you can notice the subtleties in this album, there is even a few moments that will make you chuckle.

In particular, their lyrics of the second song "No I In Threesome", is a great slice of dark humour

The only time that this album doesn't work, is with the last song "The Lighthouse" which at the out set in would appear that this is going to build into a crescendo, that never delivers upon this and renders the track plane boring.

That being said, this is a superlative collection of tracks, that is in my opinion Interpol's finest collection of songs to date.

If were not for the last track being sub power, this would have gotten the full five stars, instead of the four that I have given it.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Antics, 1 Aug 2007
J. T. Brennan (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, the heading `More Antics' doesn't mean it's more of the same - in fact both albums have their own unique style. What I mean is that in many ways despite the weight of expectation `Our love to admire' equals Interpol's previous stellar outing which is no mean feat.

It kicks off with a song many bands would not be brave enough to send out first - `Pioneer to the falls', but it really works well and sets a tone for what is to come. `No I in threesome' and the `Heinrich maneuver' are both perfect slabs of Interpol, impeccable bass lines (Carlos is awesome throughout), the strained vocals and often witty and perceptive words are all intact. Indeed one thing that has always set the band apart from its contemporaries are the strange yet alluring lyrics, on this album this has continued to great effect, a few of my favourites are - Through the storms and the light, baby you stood by my side and life is wine, you feel the sweet breath of time it's whispering, its truth not mine there's no I in threesome (from `threesome' obviously) and - `I haven't slept for two days, I've bathed in nothing but sweat, and I've made hallways, scenes for things to regret' from `Rest my Chemistry'.

There is much more to admire (sorry) here, `Wrecking ball' and `mammoth' both stand up against their better songs and perhaps the highlight for me `Pace is the trick' is Interpol at their most powerful, it's a beautiful song with a hint of a slowed down version of `Not even jail' towards the end.

There is no doubt Interpol are a fine rock band, they are original and have carved a niche for themselves in the music world, `Our love to admire' is definitely a grower, but give it time and it could well be your favourite album of the year.

Our Love To Admire
Our Love To Admire by Interpol (Audio CD - 2007)