5.0 out of 5 stars Interpol - Our Love To Admire
Published on 23 Nov 2007 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Our Love To Admire/Interpol
Interpol's third offering is a bit of a disappointment.Gone is the sharp,fast-paced guitar songs of the brillant Turn On The Bright Lights and Antics.Replaced with an almost cautious take on things.It works in some senses.Opener Pioneer To The Falls and closer The Lighthouse,are two fine examples of Interpol's new approach.Two swirling guitar epics,full of drama.This is...
Published on 7 Mar 2008 by diarmuid hickey

5.0 out of 5 stars Interpol - Our Love To Admire, 23 Nov 2007
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
You will not find Interpol straying far from what they know on this, their third LP. Musically, the band have developed very little. Bar the introduction of Keyboards into the mix, there is very little to distinguish the sound of album number three from Antics or Turn on the Bright Lights. It remains minimalist alternative Indie, with a slightly greater emphasis on the lead guitar.

Where the band have progressed is in song and album structure. Each track is a thoroughly enjoyable listen: eleven emotionally charged tracks, each leading from the last with fluidity and grace. Each instrument is now less obvious among the mix, facilitating a more professional, and grander sound (evident no more so than on epic album opener "Pioneer to the Falls"). The album succeeds as one piece of work, and as a collection of tracks, and has nailed the formula for what is required to make an album great.

Our Love to Admire is arguably the band's greatest work to date - the album features practically no filler. It is a thoroughly enjoyable listen throughout, and is definitely one of the finds of 2007.

4.0 out of 5 stars _____________________________________, 11 July 2007
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
New York's finest Interpol return with their third album " Our Love To Admire"

The lyric on mammoth "Spare me the suspense" could encapsulate the feelings of feelings prior to this album being released, as the band broke up four times between this record and antics, leaving many fans wondering if their third album would ever see the light of day.

Well they managed to dispense with the drama, iron out their difference and release their third effort, their first release to be released on a major label.

On first listen this appears to be know different than what the band have done before, it sound like just another dark and brooding Interpol effort, which is.

But each listen you can notice the subtleties in this album, there is even a few moments that will make you chuckle.

In particular, their lyrics of the second song "No I In Threesome", is a great slice of dark humour

The only time that this album doesn't work, is with the last song "The Lighthouse" which at the out set in would appear that this is going to build into a crescendo, that never delivers upon this and renders the track plane boring.

That being said, this is a superlative collection of tracks, that is in my opinion Interpol's finest collection of songs to date.

If were not for the last track being sub power, this would have gotten the full five stars, instead of the four that I have given it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a grower........, 10 July 2007
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
I have been listening to an advance copy of this album for over two weeks now (I've since bought it), and there were the obvious stand-out tracks that hit you immediately, such as Pioneer To The Falls, The Heinich Maneuver, Mammoth and Pace Is The Trick.

All of these tracks are good enough to be on Antics and Turn On The Bright Lights. Some of the other tracks are not immediate hits, such as Scale, All Fired Up, Wrecking Ball and Who Do You Think. However, in time, you will find that you listen to these tracks more than the stand-out tracks. Along with Lighthouse, these are now the tracks that make me want to listen to this album.

I now think this is better than the last two albums. Genius.

All I can say is well done lads, you've gone and done it again! You've gone and made another classic album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Light amid the shade...., 26 July 2007
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
GREAT! Interpol have done it...delicate shades of light amid the darkness, a progression,an essential part of any indie music and this third album is full of subtle changes and chinks of daylight.

After the intense and slightly montonous "Antics".."Our Love" is a gentler synthesis of chiming guitars,glacial synths and softer vocals from paul banks. the lyrics are better than on "Antics" and the baritone gloom is lifted in some tracks as well.

I really didnt expect much from this but Interpol have touched greatness here with some glimpses of melody,hints of harmony and even a Morricone-influenced closing track..the future is a little less black.....!

5.0 out of 5 stars The quintessential 'grower'. Listen again, then some more. You'll love it., 17 July 2007
Mr. G. Mclorn "Gareth" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
I love Interpol. They have a really unique sound, Paul Banks' vocals are evocative, the guitar riffs are heavenly and both combine effortlessly with the soaring basslines. After becoming gripped by the excellent first 2 albums I have waited so long, too long, for this album to come out and thankfully it doesn't disappoint. I think that it's much darker and emotional than the last album 'Antics' and I can't stop listening to it.

Appreciating an Interpol album is akin to taking time to read through a long, complex novel. You might have to go back over it a few times to get your head around some of the more obscure lyrics but eventually you'll get there and when you do it'll be so worthwhile.

The stand out tracks here are as follows:

I really like the opener, 'Pioneer to the Falls', it's got a good gentle rhythm to it and leads perfectly into the rest of the album quite nicely.

The first single, 'Heinrich Maneuver', is about getting closure from a relationship and moving on when your 'heart swings', realising that the girl you fell for isn't so perfect after all and generally being annoyed that you obsessed for so long over someone so vain - 'I don't want to read your thoughts anymore'. It gets better and better every time you hear it.

'Mammoth' has a real intensity and passion about it with the crashing guitar crescendos and shouting vocals giving a real edge to the song. It reminds me a lot of 'Not Even Jail' on the 'Antics' album. The sense of loathing for the person in question in the lyrics is palpable, the 'just spare me the suspense' chorus has a 'I'm just past caring about what you do anymore' feel about it.

'All Fired Up' is great track too. Here Paul Banks seems to appear as quite a possessive boyfriend or something along those lines.

The best track on the album is undoubtedly 'Rest My Chemistry'. All subtlety goes out the window here - this song is blatantly about trying to come off drugs and all the difficult interlinking life-choices that come as a consequence of that decision. The candid, heartfelt lyrics and catchy bass-line have all the makings of a true classic. This could well become Interpol's signature tune - it's the best song I've heard this year by some distance.

For me this album just serves to further cement Interpol's place as the best band around at the moment. No-one else comes close.

5.0 out of 5 stars another stunning effort, 27 Jun 2007
Stephen Brogan "thelastjunkie" (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
i acquired this album through a friend of a friend who had a promo copy. This was 24 hrs ago now and i can say already: WOW! It's another great album from Interpol.

The opener 'Pioneer To The Falls' continues the tradition of strong album starts. It's arguably the best best of the three so far. The single 'The Heinrich Manoever' took a few listens to grow on me but now I love it. 'Mammoth' follows and is sure to become a firm favourite for any fan. Then completing a flourishing triumvirate, and a flawless first half is 'Pace Is The Trick' which is simply wonderful.

It's true to say the the second half of the album doesn't quite continue in the same way. However, the songs at their very worst ('All Fired Up') are still 100 times better than the cheap imitators like Editors, and the final track 'Lighthouse' is the closest Interpol have come to their own proclamation that they are more influenced by film than music. It is epic in scale and demonstrates to me why Interpol are such an important band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 18 July 2007
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
Like a lot of Interpol fans I was waiting with nervous anticipation for this album, all the hype and speculation about the possiblities of signing for a major label ruining the sound are for the most part unfounded.
This album really benefits from a greater level of instumentation over the last two, oboe solo anyone? Production is excellent throughout although, although some may dislike the poppier sound to some, but not all of the tracks, drums seem to be more to the fore than before, with the bass taking a little more of a back seat and losing some of the peculiar but brilliant funk/disco vibe that antics had, there's a real feeling of "cinema" throughout.
It's a captivating listen, suffering a little from the usual swing between the ridiculous and sublime lyrics of Paul Banks, some give pause for thought and reflection, others are more like slightly dodgy sixth form poetry, but as usual that's the minority.
highlights for me include the opener Pioneer to the falls, a heartfelt and bold start to the album, no I in threesom is excellent and an unusual topic for a track, lets hope it's a single.
For me the slight lows would be All fired up... it's just a bit.. weak, although it's no doubt going to be popular on the dancefloor, who do you think and lighthouse aren't too inspiring, but perhaps they'll be long term "growers".
Overall though, a thoroughly good third album that sticks to the Interpol formula, but adds a new level of polish that doesn't in anyway detract from the atmosphere and feel you'd expect. (The special edition is nicely done too)

4.0 out of 5 stars The third Interpol album..., 14 July 2007
Jason Parkes "We're all Frankies'" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
There was a definite fear with Interpol's move from indie Matador to major Capitol and Carlos D's look drifiting from vague fascist of a Joy Division disposition to the look of The Killers that Interpol would turn into one of those bands of a U2/Coldplay disposition. It could be done - remember how great Simple Minds were before the bombast set in, or how bad the Bunnymen were when they tried to do that stuff? Our Love to Admire isn't that vast shift, in fact, it's Interpol as usual, just with a more ambitious, wider sound - vaster production values, but none of that bombast. It's quite refreshing to here a band trying to extend their earlier sound accordingly, so there is essence of Talk Talk in opener Pioneer to the Falls, twiddly post rock shapes on The Lighthouse and Wrecking Ball, and psychedelia on Mammoth, which sounds like Dust-era Screaming Trees playing a Psychedelic Furs song. Our Love to Admire isn't the sellout LP, and Interpol don't warrant those Duran Duran-jibes from the Independent's Andy Gill (especially since they seem to have been borrowed from a member of Battles dissing The Strokes in the Guardian!!). Interpol do sound like bands of yore - Comsat Angels, Kitchens of Distinction, the Furs, The Chameleons, The Sound, the Bunnymen etc - but they still manage to sound a bit fresh and transcend the easy fingerpointing "that comes from there...and there..." that I do with LCD Soundsystem, Josef Ferdinand & Radiohead.

The most epic tracks are amongst the most interesting here, Pioneer to the Falls, Rest My Chemistry and The Lighthouse all push five minutes, perhaps this is a direction Interpol should follow next? The sound has changed, there are lots more keyboards and emebellishments, which might have to do with the drummer having nerve problems, or Carlos D wanting to make soundtracks and listening only to classical (see a recent blog on Guardian Unlimited). I wonder if an instrumental record by Interpol would be interesting? - though I think they like songs and vocals, so like a band like Wire, seem caught between poppier climes and the avant garde, which isn't the worst place to be...

No I in Threesome is unlike a previous record, with a John Cale/Terry Riley style piano and a feel that reminds me a little of early REM, or one of their peers like Pylon (see the wonderful Crazy). Next track The Scale similarly throws the listener, who might be waiting for an Evil or Slow Hands - instead it's a tight mid paced rocker that concludes with an E-Bow solo from Paul Banks that sounds very Robert Fripp...which can only be quite a decent thing? Those who wanted another Antics and not best pleased so far will be appeased with single the Heinrich Maneuver which is a sort of sequel to Evil, with a Pixies-style bassline - though it's even tighter and more angular, veering off into an odd direction - even sounding like the next track. Heinrich even gets away with the line, "today my heart swings", which in other hands probably wouldn't fly. My favourite track and the centrepiece of the album is Mammoth, which appears to be one of the few tracks they're playing from Our Love to Admire on this year's tour - though much of that has been Festival related. Let's hope that more Admire-material is moved into the live set by the time I see them in Birmingham in August! I'd rather hear No I In Threesome, Rest My Chemistry, Mammoth, Pioneer to the Falls, The Scale, Heinrich, Pace is the Trick and The Lighthouse than an older song...

The first half of the LP concludes strongly on Pace is the Trick, which feels like an expansion on directions apparent on earlier joys like NYC, Leif Erikson and A Time So Small. Our Love...goes a bit askew next with All Fired Up, which doesn't quite hang together for me - sounding like several ideas that don't quite fuse together - fortunately Rest My Chemistry is next and returns things back to that high standard. The keyboards are quite ambient, though the second guitar that comes in does sound like that riff from Where Is My Mind by The Pixies!! Who Do You Think sounds like a revisit to the style of Say Hello to the Angels, while the closing duo of Wrecking Ball and The Lighthouse point at interesting directions for the future (whether Capitol will agree with that though...). The last two tracks feel a little shoegaze, a little post rock and certainly not the anthemic directions that some may have expected from a Killers version of Interpol...

How Our Love to Admire will date is another question, but right now it sounds pretty fine and not the dud some reviews are suggesting - I have a feeling some of these songs will be as pleasantly regarded as Untitled, Obstacle 1, or Not Even Jail in the future...

5.0 out of 5 stars Grips you and never lets go., 13 July 2007
Paul Skarbek "Black and red are the best." (St Albans, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
If you like Joy Division, early Cure, Kitchens of Distinction and, more recently, Editors this album is for you.

I was hooked on Interpol 3 years ago on hearing 'Untitled' and 'Evil' on late night radio. Having bought and loved 'Turn on the bright lights and 'Antics' and played them to death since then I couldn't wait to hear 'Our love to admire'.

It was certainly worth the wait as the album is simply brilliant. The musicianship is top notch and the songs sear into you everytime. The themes haven't changed from previous albums but there has been a musical development and a certain polish to them. Its seems like the band are getting the best from their instruments plus adding a few new ones and to quote from 'Pioneer to the falls' the tracks go 'straight into my heart'.

At the moment my faves are 'Pioneer to the falls', 'No I in threesome', 'Pace is the trick', 'Mammoth' and 'Who do you think?' though the other tracks aren't far behind.

Well done to the band for another brilliant offering and I just can't wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent !, 11 July 2007
Ricardo Manuel S. Parreira "rmsp" (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
I'm not used to writing reviews, nor are these lines intended as such, but every once in a while I come across CDs which warrant my most sincere devotion, and "Our Love to Admire" is one of them. I will go straight to the point: the sole reason why you should buy this album right away is simply because it is absolutely magnificent! The bass sound, so clearly present in the previous albums (where it set a "gloomy" ambiance for most songs, very characteristic of Interpol's previous work), has been toned down. Guitars, on the other hand, have distinctively taken over almost every song. Therefore, "Our love..." sounds a little different (just a little brighter) but it still sounds very much like Interpol. Apart from the enticing "Heinrich Maneuver", the other songs may not as "immediate" to the first-time listener (especially if you compare them to those in "Antics"), but they'll grow on you pretty fast, believe me. Personally speaking, it took me a few hours to get over the album's first track (the beautiful "Pioneer To The Falls"), and although I've heard it a "million" times, it still makes my skin crawl (I guess it always will)...and I can't help smirking every time I hear "Rest my Chemistry", my favourite song on this album. In my very humble opinion this is not only Interpol's best record, but definitely the best I've heard in 2007, and one of the best released in a long time. Am I exaggerating? Well...you may think so ...but you know what?..."Our Love to Admire" has grown on me to the point of addiction.

Our Love To Admire
Our Love To Admire by Interpol (Audio CD - 2007)