5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Products Stormex Outside Bike Cover 2009 Spec
Published on 13 Nov. 2008 by J. Edwards

Published 10 months ago by Nick Longstaff

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Products Stormex Outside Bike Cover 2009 Spec, 13 Nov. 2008
This review is from: OXFORD MOTORCYCLE BIKE STORMEX ALL WEATHER COVER L (Automotive)
I purchased this cover for use with my BMW 1100RT. I have found it to be more than adequate. It is a good size and would easily cover the bike with full touring kit. It is easy to put on and remove, I can do this single handed. It is very good value for money (purchased via Amazon)and does exactly what is states it does - keeps my bike dry. The cover can be put over the bike even when the engine is still hot. The strap holding the cover in place is strong and adjustable and keeps the cover secure over the bike. I would highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant high-quality item. If in any doubt, buy the larger size!, 9 Nov. 2010
Rowena Hoseason "Hooligween" (Kernow, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This is an extremely high quality bike cover. It feels more like a sleeping bag than a cover for a motorbike! Proper soft lining, heavy elasticated skirt and very robust exterior waterproofing. Very impressed, especially as we have seen less substantial covers on sale for twice the price elsewhere. It's certainly far more robust than Oxford's own Rainex and Aquatex covers. Although those covers are cheaper, I don't think they'll last as well or offer such good protection as the Stormex.
The lining is perfect for highly polished paintwork -- very soft, so shouldn't scratch it. You could also use this cover indoors to protect from condensation.
There's an easy to operate under-side strap and clasp to secure it on windy nights, and the eyelets for a lock are securely hemmed. Overall this is a very well finished product.
The only downside was that the Medium was quite a snug fit on our old (classic) Norton Commando, which is quite a physically small bike by modern standards. The listing suggests that the Medium would be OK for a sports-tourer, but I can't see how it would fit over an upright bike with full fairing. The Small can only be suitable for quite little machines. So although the larger versions cost a little more, it's probably best to play it safe and get the larger size if in any doubt.
9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cover, 28 Jan. 2010
Got the cover for my 1000cc honda storm in december and haven't had a single days regret about it. Kept the bike dry in all sorts of weather including snow. The hole for the security chain is particularly useful. The soft lining on the inside has kept the bike pretty scratch free. and the elastic at the bottom feels solid and long lasting.

A bit heavy though, so its not ideal to lug it around when I'm out, but provides great protection from the weather,when at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 Years of Use so far., 3 April 2012
Mr. R. Owens (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this three years ago and now it's showing its age, the buckle on the strap has long since broken. This was initially bought for a BMW 1200GS but has since been used on a Triumph Sprint ST and now on a Triumph Tiger 800XC. Apart from the GS its larger that needed for the other bikes. Its still pretty waterpoof although I do notice after heavy rain some water on the bike.
The liner did burn when I put it over the bike within a minute of finishing the ride after toughing the down pipes. But I haven't had the same problem since when leaving the bike stand for a few minutes before putting the cover on.
The cover fades significantly when left in the sun. I quite like it though as it gives the impression that there is an old banger underneath. As my bike stays outside 100% of this time the cover has done a good job of keeping it safe from the rain and sun. Although the lining does sock up the water somewhat when touching the floor or when you put it back on a wet bike. Dries out quick though in the wind.
I will be getting another.

5.0 out of 5 stars bike duvet, 7 Jun. 2010
Oxford Products Stormex Outdoor Cover Large My husband treated himself to an immaculate 18 yr old 1100 virago.... it deserved a garage but we haven't got one! After a bit of research I found and bought this cover.IT'S FABULOUS. Withstanding the wet and cold,and is secure in the high winds we experience here.I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MOTORCYCLE COVER.V F M.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cover, 8 Jan. 2013
This my second Stormex cover. My first one - get this... is over 10 years old and is actually now doing a sterling job as a considerably improved replacement cover for our big 4-burner barbecue, would you believe... and has kept that thing dry through the last two winters.

The Stormex is a fantastic bike cover and the only one I would recommend if your bike lives outdoors. It's completely waterproof (or as near as dammit as makes any difference), is easy to throw over the bike and can be done so even when the exhaust is proper hot (although be warned... the 'centrally heated' tent your covered bike inevitably becomes attracts the neighbourhood's cats like you wouldn't believe). I use mine on an old Aprilia RSV1000 for which the 'large' is too big really, but it completely engulfs the bike when it's on paddock stands (the elasticated bottom hooks over those nicely) so it works out alright.

Downsides? Well... if it's in contact with the ground in heavy rain, it will draw up rainwater and any ground grit that follows so you'll need to be careful with that. It's also quite bulky and is certainly too chunky to roll up and take with you if you're a commuter (I used to leave mine at the office seeing as home was a garaged environment for the bike). It will fade quite badly (mine went from black to light grey!) and the seam tapes will peel if it's exposed to a decent summer's worth of direct sunlight (seam tape adhesive will need to be employed!)... and honest to goodness truthfully...? It probably will leak a bit... if left in a typhoon, hurricane or a month-long monsoon.

EDIT:- I've had another two since I wrote the initial review and I have to say that the 'new' ones coming through appear to be a different spec... and it seems, aren't quite as well made as they used to be. The plus side is that they now perform noticeably better fending off heavy rain than I remember previous covers doing before... but it's when left in the sun where they really suffer. The material fades much quicker and the taped seams literally dry to a crisp and fall off. My old one that got passed down for 'barby cover duties' fared worse as it had to deal with a south-facing garden, so may not be representative of what to expect... but I've noticed that the recent bike duty ones don't seem able to serve their time as before either. Basically, I'm having to recalibrate in my head how long they last now... down from ten years to... well... two I reckon.

I still highly recommend them though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best motorbike cover, 15 July 2010
Mr. K. Papas "kleopapas" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A great motorbike cover, it is very soft almost fleecy on the inside yet very durable on the outside. A word to the wise though, do not buy this if you own a tall, adventure-type bike such as Tenere, Transalp, Varadero, KTM Adventure as it will not fit properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars oxford motorbike cover, 20 Jun. 2011
item is an excellent choice for my bike suzuki gsx1250fa with panniers, you can fit it with the rear pannier fitted and with a bit of a squeeze with all 3 fitted... if you want a cover for a larger bike you may need to look elsewhere but it does what it says and keeps the bike nice n dry n doesnt scratch the paintwork either.
Plus you got the holes and pocket for your chain n padlock too. This is my second cover - the last one was for a smaller bike.

1.0 out of 5 stars I have now had the cover for nearly six months and the seam tapes are disintegrating - the tape adhesive has literally turned to, 7 July 2014
First of all: When I received the cover, there was damage to the edge of one of the vent flaps. Admittedly, this was cosmetic but nonetheless, it spoiled the look. I called the supplier and rather than go through the hassle of returning the cover, paying postage etc, they agreed to refund me £5. I still haven't received this. I have now had the cover for nearly six months and the seam tapes are disintegrating - the tape adhesive has literally turned to dust and the tape itself so brittle that you can easily tear it with your fingers. This is a real shame as the actual cover fabric quality seems good. The cover is on my BMW R1150GS and is kept outside on the north side of the house (i.e. not in direct sunlight). Even if it was in direct sunlight, an "all weather cover" should be able to cope with this, otherwise it is not "fit for purpose" implicit in the product despription. Very disappointed but, as there doesn't seem to be any real alternative for covering a large bike with panniers and top box, I'll have to repair / replace the seam tapes. A potentially good product seemingly let-down by the manufacturer apparently cutting corners by using poor quality tape and adhesive. Why, when the actual cover material is obviously of good quality!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 26 May 2010
Bought this for my Triumph Sprint RS after house move left me without a garage!
Fits well, even with a top box.
Only niggle is that the pocket for the lock couldn't cope with the weight and started to tear the stitches. Otherwise would have been 5 stars.

OXFORD MOTORCYCLE BIKE STORMEX ALL WEATHER COVER L