5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Bike Lock
Published 5 months ago by D. Petley

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good
I have seen a lot of these locks around, which is why I bought it. However, the lock jammed up within a week and is now unusable, don't waste your money.
Published 6 months ago by Mollie Legg

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Oxford Hercules Bike / Cycle Keyed D-Lock 180mm x 320mm Black (Misc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Bike Lock, 14 Mar 2014
D. Petley (UK) - See all my reviews
This is the best security available for this price. Reviewers who have said it has damaged their paintwork must have been very careless, as it has a vinyl coating to prevent scratches. The holder and quick release mechanism are simple and work well. As with all new bike locks, it is important to oil it as soon as it arrives, reviewers who have said it locked up after a month would not have had this problem if they had looked after it. You can probably tell I really like these Oxford locks, I live in Bristol and had this lock for 3 years and no one stole my bike, which is quite an achievement in Bristol! I haven't bought a new one to replace a broken one, I lent it to a friend and never saw it again, which is another sign that its a really good lock! Get one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, jammed up and had to be returned. I've had cheap locks that worked before. This one didn't., 26 Jan 2014
Awful, jammed up and had to be returned. I've had cheap locks that worked before. This one didn't. Not recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Jan 2014
An excellent and hardy lock - it fits nicely on to my daughters bike and is easy enough for her to lock and unlock herself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected, 8 Dec 2013
Perfect balance quality/price.
If yours is not a very expensive bicycle, this lock is perfect. Long enough, safe enough, and not too heavy to be carried around.
I would definitely recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely rubbish!!, 30 Sep 2013
Just bought this lock, came with no fitting instructions luckily I knew how it fitted unlucky for me though is that I did and the lock has scratched up my brand new 250 bike!! All along the down pipe so annoyed and it is still not fitted properly because the quick release won't tighten up enough! Don't buy this lock unless you want scratches all on your bike!

5.0 out of 5 stars brightspark, 1 Jun 2013
wel iv been cycling for 30 years now and thought this was a rip of realy but was pleasently surprised when i got the lock dont take no notice about what that other guy said about locking the lock what do u want for the money .......it works ok and great buy for the money im getting another one soon...........and its what i wanted because its quite long too, to lock the front wheel onto the bke when parked........and the best buy iv got on here so far for the money .........buy one and b stong lke hercules..............

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lock at a great price!, 16 April 2013
The whole thing is very sturdy, even the the straight side of the D-lock is plastic with metal inards. You can tell immediately because it is reasonably heavy. The plastic fitting that holds the lock onto the bike when your not using it is a little bit awkward to attach. Make sure you use the washer for this part otherwise you will ruin the holes the screws go into. I learnt this first hand in an effort to make the mechanism that tightens the plastic around the D-lock itself so it doesn't fall out the holder when your riding.

The only problem I have had is in the nature of the locking mechanism. There are a number of loops with a gap specifically designed for the included keys to feed through so you can unlock the device. On two occasions the inner loops, deep inside the mechanism have somehow span out of place meaning my key only gets so far in. With 5 or so minutes of messing around it did unlock in the end. However it does worry me slightly that one day I won't be able to unlock my bike from whatever I attached it too. I have always managed to fiddle the key into the correct position.

All in good lock. But may be a bit awkward for some people. I would certainly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 3 months, 22 July 2014
Due to not having a cover for locking mechanism (where the key goes) the lock cannot be unlocked! Luckily was not attached to anything.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable price, 30 July 2013
I have seen pretty expensive locks and this one is fine for me. It looks and certainly feels strong enough. I only have a bike that is worth 70. I refuse to spend more money on my lock than on the bike. This lock gives me piece of mind.

The locking is a bit fiddly at times, but once you line up the levers properly so that the key is fully inserted, it opens and locks/unlocks fine.