5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle, loving, way to solve your child's sleep issues
Our 15 month old son has had difficulty sleeping since infancy. He suffered from acid reflux, regular runny noses and ear infections for several months as a baby and this had an impact on his ability to sleep well. He would scream when laid down in his cot and although he would quieten when lifted, he would then fight sleep for hours until he was so overtired, it was even...
Published on 2 Aug. 2005 by FHadden

3.0 out of 5 stars reassuring
i bought this book because i was beginning to wonder if there was ever going to be a time when my breastfed 21/2 year old was going to go to sleep by himself and sleep peacefully until i arrive to go to bed. some evenings it felt like more of an issue than others, and then it really did become quite wearing.
i didn't like pantley's previous book on babies as i found...
Published on 11 July 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Read - good ideas, 2 May 2014
An easy to read, non-dictatorial, guide with good, sensible suggestions. Best of all, this book supports mums who don't want to go with the "cry it out" method and doesn't make you feel like a total push-over for not toughening up!
I've only read a few chapters but within a few days, and in conjunction with the Gro-Clock, I already have a happy 2 year old, sleeping uninterupted from 8.30pm to 8am. Who knows whether it's the book, the clock, or a total fluke!

4.0 out of 5 stars good advice, 20 Jun. 2013
some helpful tips, and great gentle ethos. My 2nd copy as my first copy wore out from being borrowed so much by friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helped us, 23 Nov. 2013
A. Fattori - See all my reviews
This book really helped us finally get our 2 year old to be in a proper go to bed routine and stay in her bed (almost) every night. There is no secret formula or big revelation but the methods outlined helped us to re-examine the habits we had fallen into and develop a new approach that in a couple of weeks gave us our evenings back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved my problems, 2 Jun. 2006
Idun (Austin, Texas) - See all my reviews
I have used The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Babies before, but when my baby girl turned one I faced issues that that book did not deal with: separation anxiety, early awakenings and changing from two naps to one. Two weeks after I started working on the solutions suggested in this toddler-adapted book, she slept her first ten-hour stretch at night ever, followed by a two-and-a-half hour nap the day after (also this a record)!

Although many solutions in this book are not for one-year-olds, it is a very useful book to have as toddlerhood approaches fast and with it its problems. The book is an excellent follow-on to Pantley's first, with only some necessary repetitions and plenty of imaginative suggestions to make sleep work and your child feeling happy and secure. I have been under a lot of pressure, tried CIO three times and had to battle the cries at night afterwards - I always went back to my No-Cry Solution book and re-read it, started over, and got much better results.

Just get the book! You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Elizabeth Pantley - heaven sent!, 14 Jan. 2013
E Goodden (Cardiff UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the first NCSS when my son was about 4 months old and was only sleeping in 1 hour bursts. TBH i didn't ever manage to put any of the strategies into place - or at least didn't find them that helpful.
14 months later still and I was on my knees with tiredness - knew I didn't want to try any "sleep training" but just needed something to help me out of the sleep deprivation hole in which my boy was still waking up between 6 and 12 times a night.

This version of the NCSS is longer than the original - it's just packed full of great ideas which you chose from.
I found the chapter on night weaning, and specifically the section on the ambivalence about deciding to night wean or not, especially helpful.
Other useful ideas included making a short story book to help explain that "milkies goes night nights" and just loads of other great ideas that are an extension from the original.

At 19 months my boy is now able to sleep 4-5 hour stretches which I am fine with - it means only 1 wake up a night - and all this with ZERO tears! Phew!

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Book, but didn't work, 9 Dec. 2012
My 3 year old grandson stays overnight once a week and will not stay in his own bed all night. I settle him down with a gentle story and a cuddle and let him know that I will be in the room until he sleeps. I have to stay otherwise he just screams. When he has fallen asleep I leave. He wakes anytime from midnight onwards (usually about 2.30 am) and cries until I come to him and then will not stay in his own bed. I have tried the techniques suggested and nothing works. He has the same bed he has at home, a nice quiet room with a small bookcase of books he likes and his cuddly bedtime toys from home. None of the techniques in the book worked. He is a very sensitive boy and I feel he just really wants to feel the closeness of me and will then snuggle down and sleep. He doesn't sleep quietly all night at home either but I am sure, given the reassurance we are giving him, he will grow out of it. This book has useful techniques to try but sometimes you have to listen to your gut instinct.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 13 Oct. 2011
I have been trying to get this book for weeks, finally thought of Amazon and there it was!!!!! Now have the book and already some of the tips are working!!!! My son has not EVER slept through the night and he is now 2 1/2! Can't wait to get started properly!

3.0 out of 5 stars so I'd recommend the book to anyone having difficulties getting their little ..., 14 Oct. 2014
I'm sure it works for some but it didn't for me. As they say, every baby is different. Still, it's a lot more humane than controlled crying, so I'd recommend the book to anyone having difficulties getting their little ones to sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for normal toddlers too, 9 Sept. 2006
This book worked for me. It made me realise that the difficulty my daughter had falling to sleep was perfectly normal. Rather than trying to fix something that is not broken, I've decided to appreciate the time with her.

This book is like a good friend. It is reassuring when you start to wonder if you are doing the right thing and it reminds you that the most important thing is that children grow up fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars very informative, good read, reassuring, 8 Jun. 2009
Mr. M. Kanwal "manj_lynn" (England) - See all my reviews
This book, while it hasn't solved all our sleep issues, has provided a ton of reassurance about our toddler's sleep habits. It's nice to hear some of the reasons for disrupted sleep and it gives practical advice about how to change things. it was so nice to read - "if it works for you than don't fix it". Such a gentle approach that we see working (slowly but surely) and that fits with our parenting style and with our family.