on 5 December 2007
I've had countless numbers of bluetooth headsets / devices for a number of phones, over the years, all of which failed to live up to expectations. Failed or temporary pairing, calls not being put through to the headset when the button was pushed etc etc.

This is very different. Instant (and I mean instant) pairing with the iphone. Loud clear speaker. Great noise canceling, tested on the motorway with the window down. Very simple to operate. In car charger light turns green when the unit is fully charged ( nice ). Unit feels fairly well made, very light weight, clips securely to the visor. I like the "night mode" facility which turns off the LEDs.

Before I bought this, I tried both an O2 earpiece and Motorola earpiece...both new....both very intermittent and temperamental in their functioning ( crap in other words ).

I have only tried the Jabra with the iphone. I can highly recommend it for use with that phone. It works, and does what it says on the packet !
on 4 September 2008
After losing my old built in car kit by getting a new car, and finding that the head unit was so new that an adapter was not available yet, I needed a hands free system to tide me over. Read so many positive reviews for this system, both here and in the states. One review in the states positively gushed. Only saw 1 bad review over the sound output being to low so confidently bought a nice new one.
Good points:
1- So easy to pair with a phone, child's play.
2 - Really slim and intrusive.
3 - Works with voice recognition on the phone. Just press the cover for a second and it clearly beeps, you just say the name and away you go.

BAD POINTS :
Now, when you use the voice recognition, the loudness of the beep to let you know to talk is very loud and very clear. So it is somewhat of a surprise to find the volume level of the caller is basically impossible to hear unless your stationary. It really is ultra low. I do think that some phones do not work well with the system. Unfortunately you cannot find out until you buy it. All I know is that with a Nokia 6233, the volume of the kit makes it useless.

As it is obviously not the kits fault I will not give it 1 star, but however cannot give it 5 stars as for me it does not work as intended. Will try another type of phone and will follow up the review.
I purchased an earlier Jabra hands free kit for almost £40.00, it has lasted over 3 years, but sadly it looked a bit retro for my new car so I thought I would try this model: nothing wrong with the old one and now priced at just over £13.00 still makes a fabulous buy. It is now sat in my wife's car.

Onto my new SP5050, it is sleek and very light compared to its predecessor and set up is extremely quickl and simple: matched with both a Nokia and Motorola telephone with absolutely no problems at all. It fits onto the visor with a simple, yet robust clip and in terms of functionality is very simple to use.

Does it have downsides, well it is not as good as a wired in system, but it is transferrable to another vehicle. Unfortunately unlike my outgoing model, which you could change the batteries this model will have to be discarded if the battery goes: the batteries in my old model are still going strong so that should not be a problem and every new car will have blue tooth included in the radio in the next three years anyway.

From a sound point of view, reception is good and even at Motorway speeds you can chat quite easiy and people can hear me loud and clear. I can recommend this model to anyone looking for a portable solution and if cost is an issue, look at the previous model, it looks like something from startrek, but it operates fine.
on 6 February 2009
I had already got a Jabra earphone (bluetooth) but was not so happy with driving long distances (long time) with it in my ear. (looked a burk anyway!)
I decided to buy this speakerphone which having read the Instruction book (if all fails......) I found it a doddle to set up and pair with my Sony Ericsson phone and also with my 3Skype (mobile) phone as well.(only one at a time of course!).
I charged it up with the supplied 12v charger last September and have not recharged it since (now february following)!!! It stays in my van (Nissan Cargo) all the time even in the winter, which where I live has been down to -12 deg C this last winter and is still going STRONG!
My van has a diesel engine of 2.3 ltr and is not charged and I can tell you it isn't the quietest of vehicles, but I can hear my speakerphone very clearly indeed. (there are volume control buttons on the back edge. So I suggest if it is too quiet - RTFIM!!!!) I am extremely pleased with my purchase and would recommend it to anybody. Good value for money!
on 30 October 2007
This is a neat and simple to use piece of kit. My wife got one three weeks ago and it works perfectly with her Motorola. I borrowed it to tinker around with my own phone (Nokia 6234) and it works great. It worked so well that I had to buy my own.
on 14 December 2008
This is a very good speakerphone - I already have a built-in Parrot kit which is the bees-knees but needed a second setup for a second mobile phone - the Jabra SP5050 fits the bill absolutely perfectly. Pairing was a cinch. You can switch it on with ease; when you leave the car, it powers down after a time period to save the battery (which lasts absolutely ages!) and then when you return, you switch it on and the repairing is automatic. The volume is good (though if you have a lot of background/road noise in your car or your car is noisy, it could be a challenge to hear or be heard) and those at the other end of the phone say they can hear me just fine. So, no complaints here, and I easily recommend it for a portable, discreet, (relatively cheap!), easy-to-use bluetooth speakphone. All in all, 5 out of 5.
on 9 December 2008
I got this today and I'm absolutely sold on it. I'm intending buying another two as Christmas presents. The pairing was a piece of cake with my old Nokia 6600 (brick). I had a few problems with my hubby's new sleek Nokia 3111, but after a quick read of the handbook I found that in manual pairing mode it connected a treat. It will now connect with either phone within a second of them coming into range. Sound quality is excellent and I can speech dial quickly and easily, this was without rerecording the names. I have a C1 car, not known for being the quiets of rides, yet at a steady 60mph I could still have a decent conversation.

Why have all the expense of fitting hands free kits when you can move this between cars and even use different phones! Top marks Jabra!
on 17 January 2008
'It does what it says on the tin'.
Great device, instant hook up to my Nokia (automatically connects every time as well). This is better than the £500 system I had fitted into the last car. Great battery life. 5 Star Product.
on 4 December 2007
Excellent product. Easy to pair phone and very easy to use in car. No gimmicks, just simple and easy to talk hands free. Slim and lightweight. I also purchased a 12V Cigarette Socket AC/DC Adaptor to charge the unit indoors ( sorry; couldn't find one on Amazon so I got it via ebay - cost only £4.99 + pp).
on 22 August 2008
Based on people's reviews here I purchased a SP5050. When pulled over on the side of the road its great, its good at speeds of 40 MPH or less. BUT.... if you are a motorway driver..... :-( I cannot hear the other person at all and end up straining or worse still rise up in my seat to get my ear closer to the device- not a very safe thing to do at speed! I have tried a number of mobile phones paired to the device, I have phoned many other parties, I have ensured that I have an excellent cell coverage. I came to the conclusion that although its a lovely form factor, great to pair with etc. It's just not fit for purpose.

I tried Jabra support who suggested I delete the pairing and reset the device- all to no avail. I will have to return mine and consider another device- probably the parrot.

See one answered question