Format: DVD|Change

on 30 April 2009
The quintessential spaghetti western package starring the man himself. Clint Eastwood moody and brilliant in all four movies. Ennio Mooricone's superb soundtracks (in the three 'Man with No Name' movies) and baddies that are gloriously overstated.
The only slight downside is that the fourth film, 'Hang Em High' a good watch in itself, should really have been, 'Two Mules For Sister Sara' a tortilla western rather than spaghetti but it would have fitted in with the other three better.
Great value boxset and a definite must in any collection.
on 15 February 2011
This box set obviously contains 3 Spaghetti Westerns, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. There is also one other film include, Hang `Em High. The Spaghetti Westerns are so called because most of the spaghetti western films were made in Italy and they were made by Italian Directors, in this case the truly great Sergio Leone.
I will not go into too much detail about the films but for those of you that are new to these films all three spaghetti westerns are connected and they form a trilogy, perhaps one of the best trilogies out there. The three films all contain Clint Eastwood playing the now very "Man with no name." He is also joined by Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach. They all perform very well and deserve the critical acclaim received. Personally my favourite film out of the three is The Good the Bad and the Ugly, there is an engrossing plot that takes place during the civil war and the climax of the entire film, a brilliant gunfight in a graveyard is one of those truly memorable moments in film. The Gunfight is also on par with some of the greatest gunfights seen, even on par if not better than Gunfight at the OK Corral. Hang `Em High is not connected to the spaghetti westerns but it is nonetheless a fabulous film.
To review the box set itself I must say I was very impressed. It is a nicely presented cardboard outer casing that has on it a fantastic photo of the man with name and within that there are 4 thin cased individual DVDs. The information is clearly displayed and it gives you all the information that you could want on the bottom of the cardboard casing.
All in all this box set is a must buy for any western fan or if you are new to the genre there is no better place to start. It is a well presented and good quality box set and at only £7.99 it was a real bargain for me. This is definitely one the best box sets I own and I strongly recommend it.
33 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2011
I find it difficult to imagine that anyone who likes westerns has not seen the movies included in this set. Obviously I had seen the movies before buying this collection, and I knew I liked them, but what made this collection worth buying for me was the commentaries. Very interesting and informative. I think particularly in case of the so-called dollar trilogy it's important to understand the context, know the background, and that's exactly what these commentaries provide.
But if you happen to be new to the world of westerns and you are wondering whether to buy the set or not, I recommend you do. You get four films for a very reasonable price, all of them uncut (I understood from the commentaries that when the films were released in the States, for instance, certain sequences were cut because they were deemed inappropriate) and the commentaries are an added bonus. Besides, the dollar trilogy is definitely something that every Eastwood fan must have.
VINE VOICEon 11 September 2008
...this is a fine set, you get Hang 'Em High in addition to the traditional 3 film set, usually refered to as the man with no name films, although he does have names, Joe, Manco and Blondie (nickname?) if I remember correctly.

I'm only writing this review as I think the one star is unfair as loads of boxsets are repacked from other sets.
The man with no name trilogy is a classic series of spaghetti westerns. My favourite is still FAFDM, great score! Commentaries are on here too, if you want a bit of background to the movies themselves. Made in the 1960s, they have a unique style. From the almost operatic Good, Bad, Ugly, to the stripped down "jojimbo" remake, a fist full of dollars. Bit of a bargain too, when you fancy a bit of super cool Eastwood action, morricone music and bad dubbing from Italian! A must have collection at a bargain price. They also throw in Hang Em High!
on 28 August 2009
The version of The Good the Bad and the Ugly is the extended version, but I was hoping it would be the original theatrical release! I agree entirely with comments made by other reviewers in so far as these extra scenes do nothing for the film except make an already long film even longer and the over-dubbing is poor and instantly noticeable. I'm sure I speak for many fans of these movies in suggesting a remastered version based on the original theatrical release. So for that it loses a star. That said, these films are absolute classics and The Good the Bad and the Ugly is still one of my all-time favourites, even having watched it countless times. As far as I'm concerned, the quality of the sound and picture is fine.
on 28 December 2010
Fantastic films goes without saying and tremendoius acting from all involved.

However I have a problem, all the dvd's play a few seconds out of sync in terms of audio. Can't notice it during shoot-outs but during conversations it is noticeable and annoying. I got other DVD's for Xmas and they have worked fine so it's not my DVD player or Xbox, just with the Clint films. Anybody have any idea on how to resolve this?
Cheers.
on 2 February 2009
The ultimate collection. Absolute classics. This is Clint at his very best I think. Supberb acting, gripping. All that you want for a western
on 15 January 2014
A good set of DVDs worth the price i paid and well worth the viewing. Classic Westerns and never bettered, for me the Spaghetti western trilogy will always be the definitive cowboy film.
Now, the product comes as 4 films in seperate slim line DVD cases ( not the full box size) and the films have English subtitles and quality is good as would be expected. Excellent packaging keeps the cases firmly in place. Worthy addition to any collector.
on 7 November 2014
What can you say? Very dated, good fun, but the sound effects of the shooting drive you mad, they sound like the product of some techno band synthesiser! God knows what kind of ammo they used then, but from my limited experience guns don't make that noise.