5.0 out of 5 stars Flight Of The Concorde and Anti-Matter From Amsterdam!
I really enjoyed this box-set a lot, as it contains two amazing stories in `Doctor Who' with Peter Davison! Yes I know, you think I'm bonkers! Perhaps I am. But I honestly enjoyed watching these two `Doctor Who' stories when I bought the box-set whilst on holiday in Torridon, Scotland back in 2007. Crikey, is it that long ago?

These are two fine stories with...
Published 7 months ago by Tim Bradley

3.0 out of 5 stars It was going so well...
I shall not dwell too much on these stories as much has already been said, however Time-Flight is a particular disappointment, it seemed to be going so well with the continuity of Adric's death and them landing at an airport, but from then on it goes downhill (, although I did enjoy the Doctor climbing into a sideways Tardis.
Arc of Infinity was a good story and also...
Published on 13 July 2012 by Doctorq96

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars It was going so well..., 13 July 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who - Time-Flight [1982] / Arc of Infinity [1983] [DVD] (DVD)
Arc of Infinity was a good story and also sees Colin Baker, a future Doctor, as a Gallifreyan guard. It sees the return of Omega and much was filmed in Amsterdam. However, I would not rate it as the best of Peter Davison's era.

3/5 stars; Time-Flight had a good story but was poorly realised whereas Arc of Infinity was an improvement and I would recommend this collection, but only if you can buy it for under £8 otherwise it is a rip-off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two of the Fifth Doctor's less popular outings!, 14 Sep 2007
M. Wilberforce "mwilberforce" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
"Time-Flight" - 2/5; "Arc of Infinity" - 3/5; Special Features - 4/5.

This boxed set contains two consecutive Doctor Who serials, linked by companion Tegan's departure from and subsequent return to the TARDIS crew (D'oh! Why'd she have to come back?).

"Time-Flight", by occasional "Doctor Who" director Peter Gimwade, brings the series' nineteenth season to a rather shambolic and cheapskate end. Full of ideas and ambitiously written, "Time-Flight" could have been fantastic with a movie budget and a more carefully edited script, but, filmed at the end of a long season by a tired cast and a crew who had run out of money, sadly that was not to be.
"Time-Flight" suffers significantly from its set design. Those parts of "Time-Flight" that were filmed on location at Heathrow Airport are definitely its most convincing. The same cannot, unfortunately, be said for the scenes set on Prehistoric Earth, filmed in studio on a perspective set with an obvious painted sky that robs the scenes of much of their credibility. Further location filming on a blasted heath somewhere would surely have been more convincing.
On the other hand, "Time-Flight" manages to convey the two Concordes' journeys between the present day and prehistoric Earth remarkably well using a combination of stock footage and modelwork, given the technological constraints and special effects budget available to the series at the time of "Time-Flight"'s production.
"Time-Flight" is slightly over-cluttered with a large number of supporting characters who seem remarkably un-fazed by the whole affair, in particular the eager Captain Stapley (Richard Easton), his slightly camp crewmates Andrew Bilton and Roger Scobie, and academic aircraft passenger Professor Hayter (Nigel Stock), plus a few other minor characters who don't really bear mentioning. The villain of the piece, the mysterious Kalid, who has lured the Doctor to prehistoric earth in the hope of gaining control of his TARDIS, is slightly tiresome with his unintelligible chanting, but his makeup is surprisingly good despite the budget (and, later on, as the story's main twist is revealed, we find out why).
Unfortunately these shortcomings are not compensated for by the story's highly contrived and nebulous plot. Indeed, the only part of the whole affair that really rings true is the decision that Tegan, who has travelled under duress with the Doctor for some time, is faced with at the end of the story: having been returned to present-day Heathrow, will she now continue to travel with the Doctor and explore new worlds, or will she return to the normal life that she had thought she so much wanted?

"Arc of Infinity", by Johnny Byrne, opened the twentieth season of "Doctor Who", in which producer John Nathan-Turner sought to bring back an enemy from the series' past in each serial. For "Arc of Infinity", he brought back the original Time Lord, Omega, coincidentally last seen in the series' tenth anniversary story, "The Three Doctors". It was also a stipulation of producer John Nathan-Turner that part of the story be filmed in Amsterdam, hence the rather odd juxtaposition of scenes filmed on the streets of Amsterdam (the B-story, revolving around former companion Tegan), with studio-bound scenes set on the Doctor's home planet of Gallifrey (the A-story, revolving around the Doctor, Nyssa and the Time Lords).
The Tegan B-story is of marginal relevance to begin with, and does not come together with the main story until the end of the serial, allowing the Doctor to have most of a televised story with just Nyssa as the companion. This is beneficial to both the Doctor, who was usually surrounded by multiple squabbling companions, and the likeable but quiet Nyssa, normally marginalised during the "crowded TARDIS" stories of her time on the show. Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton make the most of the opportunity that the unique scenario presents to develop their relationship (and Nyssa gets to kick some Gallifreyan butt).
However, the rest of the story is a bit of a mess. The means of Omega's return are poorly explained, although Ian Collier is good in the role, particularly during the final confrontation in Amsterdam. The Gallifrey sets are conceptually bland and don't really speak of the grace and affluence that the Time Lords supposedly possess (even if they are rotten to the core). The best thing in the story is probably Colin Baker as the officious Commander Maxil of the Gallifreyan guards: he actually gets to shoot Peter Davison, in a scene rather ironic given his future casting as Davison's successor in the title role. On the other hand, the less that is said about the acting of Tegan's cousin and his backpacker friend, probably, the better! Given the potential offered by the foreign location shoot and the return of Omega, it seems that "Arc", whilst enjoyable enough, could have delivered a lot more than it actually did.

Despite the relatively shambolic nature of the stories, they get a deluxe treatment on DVD as usual, digitally remastered and equipped with entertaining (although often critical) cast commentaries (including both Peter Davison and Colin Baker on the "Arc" commentary), documentaries on the making of the stories and various extracts from the archives. A good set for established and loyal fans, although not, perhaps, the best release for classic series newbies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flight Of The Concorde and Anti-Matter From Amsterdam!, 11 Mar 2014

These are two fine stories with Sarah Sutton who plays Nyssa, my favourite `Doctor Who' companion. Sarah has signed the DVD covers of these two stories recently for me at a convention in Cardiff in the beginning of March. I cherish this box-set always and can't help but enjoy both stories with Peter's Doctor, Nyssa and Tegan. Really! Honest!

`TIME-FLIGHT'

Poor `Time Flight'! No one likes `Time-Flight' very much. I quite like `Time-Flight'. No one wants it. It's this uncherished, unloved `Doctor Who' story that was tagged on at the end of Season 19 (Peter's first season as the Doctor) as the season finale. And yet despite its faults, dodgy dialogue and dodgy effects, it's a story that, for me anyway, does have plenty of good moments and deserves more examination.

To start, `Time-Flight' is a story that despite its weak plot managed to gain 10 million viewers. Also the plot itself contains a simple premise that is quite exciting to watch. A Concorde plane gets zapped back in time; the TARDIS gets caught in its impact; the Doctor, Nyssa and Tegan are summoned to investigate the plane's disappearance; they themselves along with three air pilots get zapped back in time; find themselves in the prehistoric age; come up against a terrifying villain; and have to find a way to get themselves and the passengers of the earlier Concorde plane to return...back to the future! To me, those are the ingredients for a good Who story. It's all there. It's just that the ins and outs and the sometimes complex scientific explanations aren't well executed enough, which is a shame.

The story was written by Peter Grimwade, who previously directed `Earthshock'. And fair dues being his first story to write, he doesn't do a bad job. Obviously it's a pretty ambitious story and required a lot of time and effort. But with it being a story made at the end of the season, more time and money was spent on `Earthshock' so less was spent on `Time-Flight'. `Earthshock' should have been the season finale and `Time-Flight' would have made a really nice season opener. Also the story being directed by Ron Jones may have spoilt the writer's interpretation of the piece. I know Peter Grimwade wasn't happy with what Ron Jones did with directing it. Grimwade provides an intriguing story with some really interesting concepts. Such a shame it was poorly executed for its time.

I liked some of the concepts running through this story. I like how Grimwade used the Concorde planes to great effect. Also I liked the idea of the alien race known as the Xeraphin who have a spilt-personality inspired by Jekyll and Hyde. Also the fact that they control their power through the use of perceptual induction, creating illusions and hypnotising their subjects. When the Doctor and friends arrive back in time, they think they're back at Heathrow Airport until Nyssa screams spotting the dead bodies that gives the clue they're not where they are. It's rather frightening to think that people get caught under hypnotic effect and you have to fight hard to break through the trance. I don't know about you, but I find that most effective and mind-boggling. Sometimes the scientific explanations don't do it justice, but I was able to get to gist of it.

I really like the opening scene where we're in the TARDIS with Nyssa, Tegan and the Doctor. They've lost Adric following 'Earthshock'. I wanted to know what happened next after Adric got killed and how the Doctor and friends dealt with his death. It's an effective sequence. They are terribly upset and miss Adric greatly. Nyssa and Tegan beg the Doctor to go back and rescue him but the Doctor refuses. The Doctor's anger rises when he gives his reasons to Nyssa and Tegan. He simply can't go back since he knows it would be changing history. He insists Nyssa and Tegan reframe from asking him such a request ever again. They have to move on and remember to honour Adric with his heroic sacrifice. It's a such a tense and moving moment, and wonderfully played by three actors. And I'm sure I'm right about this, but that scene was re-written. Who by? By Peter, Janet and Sarah, who weren't happy with the way it was originally written. I think that's great!

I enjoyed the scenes where we're at Heathrow Airport. The Doctor's been trying to get Tegan to Heathrow Airport for some time and now he's finally done it. There's something rather nice and familiar about the scenes at Heathrow Airport, providing an atmosphere we recognise. They're probably the best scenes in the story. I like the snowy scenes with the Concorde as the Doctor, Nyssa and Tegan embark and disembark. I feel sorry though for Sarah and Janet who had to brave through a scene in the bitter cold towards the end of the story. You could see how cold they are. I want to put my arms around them and keep them warm. Do have some sympathy for those two lovely ladies please!

I really love Nyssa in this, played by lovely Sarah Sutton. I chatted to Sarah about `Time-Flight' at a convention in Glasgow two years ago. I told her I quite liked this story. Sarah seemed surprised. She doesn't like this story very much I'm afraid. In fact, Sarah considers `Time-Flight' to be the worst `Doctor Who' story ever made instead of Colin Baker's `The Twin Dilemma'. But I remember telling her why I liked this story since I was convinced by her amazing performance as well as Peter and Janet's. I don't think Sarah believed me since she told me it was the acting that came into it. But she liked and glowed at the compliment. I can sympathise with Sarah not understanding the story since it was complex and must have been hard-going for her.

But to be honest, this story contains some really good moments for Nyssa. We get to learn more about Nyssa's psychic abilities making her more alien in her Traken heritage. Nyssa gets taken over by the Xeraphin who use her as a medium to speak their messages. You do get to wonder what's going on with Nyssa and hoping she'll be okay. Her latent psychic abilities are used to great effect in this story, as she seems to know more about on what's going on than the Doctor and Tegan. She gets to lead Tegan through the inner sanctum of the Xeraphin stronghold. She becomes adamant and insistent when she has scenes with Tegan, making her a stronger character wanting to save the Doctor and stop Kalid. I found that moment when Nyssa's prepared to sacrifice herself for the Xeraphin and the Doctor trying to stop her very effective and dramatic. Some really great Nyssa moments that I cherish.

I found Tegan played by Janet Fielding pretty good in this story. She feels right at home back at Heathrow Airport when the Doctor takes them there, but she's willing to take part in the adventure back in time on Concorde. She gets to share an adventure with Nyssa. Tegan also gets to show off her air stewardess skills when she's directing passengers to board the Concorde flight, which I've always wanted to see. Tegan's been travelling in the TARDIS for some time now and has wanted to get back home. Now she's uncertain about whether she should leave the TARDIS and return to Heathrow to become an air stewardess or not.

One of the sequences I liked in this story is where Nyssa and Tegan journey through the sanctum and encounter visions of past encounters with monsters and villains tempted by Kalid. They encounter a vision of Adric who's just died and have to make the painful decision to go through him, killing him again. They also encounter the Melkur, a nightmare from Nyssa's first story 'The Keeper of Traken'; and a Terileptil who they encountered in 'The Visitation'. It brings together all that we know and love about the Doctor, Nyssa and Tegan in their adventures from Peter's first season, and it's so fitting to have those lovely moments of monsters and Adric in a season finale as this.

Peter's Doctor is pretty good in this one too. I think Peter's managed to find his feet as the Doctor by this point. Despite his disapproval of the story's effects, he still pulls off a pretty good performance. Peter's Doctor is enthusiastic and energetic. I like those scenes when he's trying to get his friends to concentrate and break through the perceptual induction that's on them. I also loved his scenes when he's confronting Kalid, ridiculing him on his powers and refusing to give him the TARDIS key. One moment I liked with Peter's Doctor is when Captain Stapley tells him he swapped the TARDIS components and apologising saying it was a `stupid idea'. I thought Peter was going to go boiling mad with Stapley. But it turns out he was pleased with what Stapley did. `Stupid?! It was brilliant!' I really like that moment with Peter's Doctor. It's very new series-like. It's what the recent Doctors like Chris Eccelston; David Tennant and even Matt Smith would do these days. A lovely performance on Peter's part I must say.

The story's villain is Kalid, who happens to be a conjuror in the prehistoric age controlling the Xeraphin's power, played by Leon Ny Taiy...oh hang on! That actor doesn't exist. Who's playing Kalid then? Oh wait a minute. He's not Kalid! He's actually the Master...in disguise! - played by Anthony Ainley. When I first watched this with my mum she knew it was going to be the Master all along, even though she didn't know he was Kalid in that make-up. When we got to the cliffhanger at the end of `Part 2', the Master reveals himself and my mum went `See! See! I told you! It was the Master! I knew the Master was behind all this!' We'd only just watched the new series Master story with John Simm and it was a pleasure to watch the Master again played by Anthony Ainley. I love that cliffhanger moment when the Master reveals himself at the end of `Part 2'. It's a magic moment!

The Master's on top form in this story with his evil elegance and I enjoy what Anthony Ainely does with the role. Though I'm not sure I get what the reason is for why he disguised himself as Kalid in the first two episodes of this story. Obviously it's meant as a surprise for the audience, but I don't really understand the logic of it. Perhaps the Master needed to disguise himself as Kalid in order to control the power and convince the Xeraphin. Just a theory. I don't know, you see. I'm not the story's writer. But it would have worked better if Kalid has been in silhouette rather than in full view as this fat conjuror person in front of the Doctor. Also the green oozing out the nose when Kalid `dies' was really unnecessary and rather disgusting to watch. But it's a joy to watch the Master in this, and it gives me great pleasure to see him doing his maniacal deeds and laughing away so delightfully.

The TARDIS team are joined by three new allies - the air pilots Captain Stapley (Richard Easton), First Officer Bilton (Michael Cashman) and Flight Engineer Scobie (Keith Drinkel). I like these three guys. They're such good characters to join the Doctor, Nyssa and Tegan. Some say they're not convincing as air pilots, but I think they're very convincing indeed and played by such fine actors. I like how each of them react to being in a prehistoric environment becoming astonished and bewildered. But they slowly get used to the idea and become accepting of the Doctor's words. I like how Stapley puts his trust in the Doctor no matter how absurd the situation is. I also like Bilton in how he follows Stapley's orders and joins him when they try to hijack the TARDIS to stop the Master. Bilton likes Tegan apparently, since that's what helps to bring him out of his trance by Stapley. `Tegan? Yes!' I also Scobie's scenes with Angela, the stewardesses of the earlier Concorde, and how he tries to help her keep focused and not fall under a trance again. These three characters are great to watch and I enjoyed what they did in helping the Doctor and his friends.

There's also Professor Hayter, played by Nigel Stock, who would later go on to do `The Pickwick Papers' by Charles Dickens, produced by Barry Letts. I like this character whom Nigel Stock plays pretty well. He's a well learned man who's able to break through the Xeraphin's hypnotic suggestions. But he's also a rather sceptical man who tends to dismiss the Doctor's theories and anyone else's aside, saying they're either mad or hallucinating. Yet he gets to join the Doctor and others, despite his scepticism. He's curious and wants to know more about what's going on. He tends to be intolerable for the Doctor and others' liking, but he's a good soul. He does seem to care about others and is willing to sacrifice himself despite wanting to know more about the Xeraphin and not knowing what he's letting himself in for. An interesting and complex character that was nice to watch.

By the end of the story, the Doctor and others have managed to defeat the Master, bring everyone home and send the Xeraphin back to their home planet. But Tegan's left behind as she's wandered off and seems to be making back to Heathrow Airport. She's uncertain as she's torn between wanting to becoming an air stewardess and re-joining the Doctor in the TARDIS. In the end, Tegan decides she wants to keep on travelling with the Doctor and heads back for the TARDIS. But she's too late, as the TARDIS has left her behind. Tegan's upset. I really like those moments with Tegan's character since it's rather `new series'-like in what they do with companions today in terms of development. Also it brings full circle as to what Season 19's about in dealing with Tegan wanting to go back home until eventually deciding she doesn't want to go home anymore. She becomes saddened at her lost opportunity. I really felt for her in that moment. Captain Stapley thought she was going with the Doctor. `So did I,' Tegan tearfully replies.

The special features on this DVD are as follows. There's `Mouth on Legs' which is an exclusive interview with Janet Fielding on her time in 'Doctor Who'. This was the first time I'd seen Janet interviewed and it's clear she's very much like her character she played in the series which was amusing to watch. There's some deleted scenes and outtakes which are very funny to watch, showing how the actors managed to have a good laugh despite the story. There's `Jurassic Larks' that is a feature focusing on the studio recordings of `Time-Flight'. There's also a brief interview with Peter Grimwade talking about writing `Doctor Who', conducted by Nicholas Briggs.

There's a very entertaining commentary on `Time-Flight' that I enjoyed with Peter Davison, Sarah Sutton, Janet Fielding and script editor Eric Saward. I chatted to Sarah about the audio commentary when I saw her in Cardiff. There's something at the end of the commentary that made me laugh for ten minutes. Can you guess what it is? I told Sarah. It's when the last episode ended and that big sonic boom closed the end credits, and a little voice spoke saying...'I need chocolate!'. That was Sarah's voice. That got me laughing and made me happy. Sarah giggled when I mentioned it to her. Sarah said she enjoys doing the audio commentaries with Peter and Janet. I told her I enjoyed them too, though I think Peter and Janet talk such rubbish in the commentaries. Sarah agrees saying she couldn't get a word in edgeways.

There's also an info-text option commentary to watch, a photo gallery for this story and some PDF documents including some Radio Times listings and the 1983 Doctor Who annual.

So `Time-Flight' is not a great story, but there are lots of good moments that I cherish. The story's complex and hard to follow. But from watching it, I can't help but like this story in a strange way. It features Nyssa who's lovely played by Sarah; some fine performances from all actors braving through the script; and is well justified for being a decent finale for Peter's first season as the Doctor, particularly with Tegan's journey. I know how poorly rated it is in the `Doctor Who' poll, but I can't help defend it in some way. If you watch `Time-Flight' again or are seeing it for the first time, do appreciate some of its good points as well as the bad.

The next story with the Doctor and Nyssa is 'The Land of the Dead'.

`ARC OF INFINITY'

This is one of my favourite Nyssa stories from `Doctor Who'! It's a pretty good strong story for Nyssa's character and Sarah Sutton agrees with me. It's a story that clearly works on so many levels making it one of my favourite stories from the TV series.

The story is significant in featuring the return of one of the Doctor's enemies. We have the return of Omega, who was in 'The Three Doctors'. Omega is the stellar engineer who gave the Time Lords power to time-travel. He has come back with a vengeance. He is played by Ian Collier. I like how Ian plays Omega in this, who's more three dimensional character compared to last time where Omega was ranting and raving in `The Three Doctors'. Omega wants to come back to our universe from the anti-matter world and plans to steal the Doctor's body print from Gallifrey. Nothing's going to stop him!

Also in this story, we get to go to Amsterdam. I love the Amsterdam locations in this story. It's so rare to get to see a different country in `Doctor Who' and this is one of those special times when we see Amsterdam in its beauty. The look of Amsterdam looks so appealing in its springtime weather. I'm sure the cast and crew enjoyed going for the five days they spent there. I chatted to Sarah Sutton in Cardiff (and also to Alistair Cumming who's in this story) about wanting to go to Amsterdam since it's lovely and wanting to see sights such as the Anne Frank house. Sarah replied she didn't get to see much of Amsterdam since she was working most of the time. I asked her if she'd been to Amsterdam since and she says she hasn't which took me by surprise. I hope she gets to go to Amsterdam again. Sarah certainly enjoyed working in Amsterdam. I jokingly said to Sarah she enjoyed running in Amsterdam with Peter and Janet, knowing full well that she doesn't since running's not her thing. I have sympathy for Sarah as Nyssa when she's running endlessly in stories. When I write Nyssa for my own personal stories, I always have it in mind when Nyssa's running to have her say `Running's not my thing' since I sympathise with Sarah running on the cobbled pavements.

We also have in this story the return of Tegan Jovanka in `Doctor Who'. Ever since Tegan left the Doctor in `Time-Flight', she hoped to get back to normal with her life and her job. She was wrong. She got sacked from her job as an air hostess and is now unhappy with her life. Things have never been the same since she stopped travelling in the TARDIS. She wants something to cheer her up. So she decides to go and see her cousin who's in Amsterdam on holiday with his best friend. But once she gets to Amsterdam, she finds her cousin Colin's missing. Tegan's worried, and with the help of Colin's friend Robin they go down into the crypt behind the Frankendael house fountain to find him. Only they get caught by Omega and his servant, the Ergon. Can the Doctor be able to rescue Tegan in Amsterdam in time before Omega completes transference into our world?

I've had the pleasure of meeting the two boys from `Arc of Infinity' at my first convention. They are Alistair Cumming who plays Colin Frazer (Tegan's cousin) and Andrew Boxer playing Robin Stuart. I was delighted to meet Tegan's cousin since it's rare to get to see some of Tegan's family, apart from Aunt Vanessa. The two actors seemed really nice chaps when I met them. Colin and Robin are both hitchhikers in Amsterdam and have to sleep rough during the night in a crypt. It all goes pear-shaped when Colin gets kidnapped by the Ergon and Robin has to find some way to rescue Colin but is afraid to until Tegan comes along. I enjoyed watching these two, and it creates a familiarity in such a complex story as this where it's set both on Gallifrey and Amsterdam.

Yes that's right! This story features the return to Gallifrey. The Doctor and Nyssa are summoned back to Gallifrey and receive an unfriendly welcome. I enjoyed the chase sequences in corridors on Gallifrey. I found it amusing and equally pathetic when the guards can't find or catch them and they easily get gunned down by Nyssa on stun setting. They keep missing their hiding places. No wonder the Time Lords lost the war to the Daleks! Ha, ha.

In this story, we have the first appearance of Colin Baker in `Doctor Who'. He's well known for playing the Sixth Doctor in `Doctor Who', so he's arrived too early. Colin's not playing the Doctor in this one. He's playing Commander Maxil, who's in charge of the Time Lord guards on Gallifrey. He's playing a rough and tough guard who shows no nonsense and is simply doing his job. He's not a very nice character and is pretty mean when it comes to Peter's Doctor and Nyssa. I found it thrilling and enjoyable when Maxil shoots Peter's Doctor. I wonder what was going on through Colin's mind and imagined him saying when Peter's Doctor said `Hello! I'm the Doctor!' - `Yeah! And you're out of a job, mate!' and then shoots him. It's a wonderful moment.

Everybody enjoyed working with Colin. Sarah certainly enjoyed working him and has fond memories of Colin. Sarah's now worked with three Doctors apparently (Tom, Peter and Colin). I found it funny when Colin had problems with the hat he wore. It looks ridiculous. It's got purple feathers, and Colin couldn't get through the doors when he was wearing it. So Colin had to carry the hat under his arm, and he looks like a chicken. I can't help but make chicken noises whenever Colin's in the scene with the Castellan or the Time Lords, as Colin did when he was making the story. John Nathan-Turner the producer amusingly took Colin to one side and told him `This is not the Maxil show!' Colin plays Maxil extremely well. I enjoyed him in `Arc of Infinity'. I hope Big Finish will do a story where Colin plays Maxil again and gets to work with Peter's Doctor with Sarah and Janet. Who knows? I really hope so!

The High Council of Time Lords is played by a number of really good actors in this story. There's Michael Gough playing Councillor Hedin, who's a dear old friend of the Doctor's (who's well known for playing the Celestial Toymaker and was Anneke Wills' real-life husband); Elspet Gray playing Chancellor Thalia (who I've seen in `The Psychiatrist' episode from `Fawlty Towers'); Paul Jerricho playing the Castellan; Max Harvey playing Councillor Zorac and Leonard Sachs playing President Borusa. There's also Neil Daglish who plays Damon, a rather nice computer technician who helps the Doctor and Nyssa. One of these Time Lords is a traitor. Can you guess who it is?

I've had the pleasure of meeting Paul Jericho who plays the Castellan in the story and would later go on to play the character again in 'The Five Doctors'. I did not know what was going to happen with the Castellan, as I always expected him to be the villain in this. The Castellan is a bit of a control freak and doesn't suffer fools gladly. He's loyal to his oath of office and is pretty ruthless when it comes to solving a mystery or a crisis. He believes the Doctor to be a criminal and is so single-minded in his purpose. I enjoyed Paul Jerricho in both the stories he was in, and was glad to have the opportunity to meet him at one of many conventions I've been to.

Omega has a servant working for him. A creature called the Ergon. I'm afraid the Ergon is pretty disappointing in terms of costume and design. It looks absurd. I find myself laughing at it for the wrong reason. I remember showing this to my best friend and when he saw it he went, `What's that?' That just about sums it up really. The Ergon looks more like a big bird played by a man in a costume. The head looks ridiculous and probably the actor can't see when he's wearing it. Ian Collier describes it as something out of `Road Runner' and it certainly does look like a Looney Tunes character that makes you go `Beep, beep' whenever you see it. I can't help but speak in a funny voice when I see it moving towards Tegan to scan her, going `'Ello. I'm a big bird.' and making silly screaming noises when it gets shot by Nyssa from Omega's anti-matter gun. So not the greatest moment or monster in the story I'm afraid.

I love Nyssa in this story and I love Sarah Sutton's performance. Sarah enjoyed this story since it develops Nyssa's character and she gets to spend more time with Peter as the Doctor. Sarah clearly enjoys the material given to her by Johnny Byrne who wrote this (and originally created Nyssa in `The Keeper of Traken'). Nyssa and the Doctor have been travelling together for a long time in the TARDIS! I love how Nyssa's trying to save the Doctor and she's pleading with the Time Lords to stop the termination. Sarah gets to play Nyssa with such emotion we've never seen before whenever she's upset and determined to save the Doctor's life. It makes Nyssa more like a new series companion who's loyal and is willing to go to great lengths to sacrifice herself and protect the Doctor from being killed.

Nyssa gets to be an action girl in this as she uses a Time Lord pistol to stun the guards. Nyssa is brought into a new light and I love how Nyssa's anger is portrayed when she's confronting the Time Lords saving the Doctor. `Don't you understand?! The Doctor was betrayed!' Nyssa must have lost so many people such as her father, Adric, and many other loved ones during her travels in the TARDIS that she can't afford to lose the Doctor as well. It's a superb performance from Sarah who really plays Nyssa as a compassionate and caring person. I love moments like that. I found it moving when Nyssa had tears in her eyes at the end of `Part Two'. Recently Big Finish have done wonders with developing Nyssa's character in many of the audio stories she's in and I've enjoyed listening to all of Nyssa's audio adventures with the Doctor. I've written my own set of adventures with Nyssa's character and enjoyed exploring more of who Nyssa is and understanding her as a person, and that especially includes meeting Sarah Sutton who's lovely and a joy to meet at conventions.

Peter Davison is great to watch in this too. I enjoyed his scenes with Nyssa, and it's clear he gets to enjoy spending more time with Sarah as Nyssa in `Doctor Who' since she's his favourite companion (just like me). I love it when the Doctor asks Nyssa for money at a phone box in Amsterdam, and she gives him that look 'You're asking me for money?!' I enjoyed it when Peter's Doctor is gradually unravelling the mystery about what's going on Gallifrey before discovering it's Omega. There's a moment I like when the Doctor's trying to get into the computer room and can't, and he has to use the Presidential code. I love it when he's trying to remember the code from memory before the guards' footsteps get closer. `4, 5...4...5...5!' Eventually he gets in, and Nyssa and Damon are astonished at how he got in through the door. `Pure luck!' the Doctor says. I really enjoyed the scenes where he's confronting Omega, and moments when he and Nyssa run in Amsterdam trying to find Tegan and accidentally bump into people causing them to drop their shopping bags, which are lovely comedy gags running through this story worked out by Peter and Sarah I'm sure.

By the end of the story, Tegan's reunited with the Doctor and Nyssa having defeated Omega. The Doctor and Nyssa are glad to see Tegan again. They think she's going back to her job and they're never going to see her again. But Tegan tells them she's got the sack, and Nyssa's absolutely pleased and delighted. Tegan's back with the team again. The Doctor seems a little put out by this. He's not sure whether having Tegan is a good thing or not. Ah well, he'll just have to cope with it.

There's a range of special features included on this DVD. There's a flagship making-of documentary called `Anti-Matter From Amsterdam', including interviews with cast and crew such as Peter Davison, Sarah Sutton, Colin Baker, etc. It's presented by Sophie Aldred (who plays Ace in `Doctor Who') and is filmed in Amsterdam itself. I love Sarah Sutton in this who's lovely and beautiful when she's being interviewed. There's also `The Omega Factor', a documentary focusing on the character of Omega with interviews from Bob Baker, Johnny Byrne, Stephen Thorne, Ian Collier and Nev Fountain who wrote the Big Finish audio story `Omega'. There are some deleted scenes for this story, and the `Under Arc Lights' feature focusing on the behind-the-scenes studio recordings of `Arc of Infinity'. There's a CGI effects option to watch for this story, and some trailers and continuity announcements.

There's a really entertaining audio commentary for this story by Peter Davison, Sarah Sutton, Janet Fielding and Colin Baker himself! I love how the first episode opens with just Peter and Sarah commenting. Why couldn't it just be Peter and Sarah?! I love it though when Colin joins in and then when Janet comes in and Peter amusingly assumes her to be the waitress with the coffee. I'm glad Colin stayed on for all four episodes when he was invited to stay on by Peter since he wasn't in the last episode anyway.

There's an isolated music-only score option to watch during this story. There's also a photo gallery for this story as well as an informative info-text commentary option to watch. There's some PDF files on the Radio Times listings for `Arc of Infinity' as well as the 1983 Doctor Who annual. There's also a hidden Easter Egg on this DVD if you know where to find it.

This story is one of my favourites and is a great one for Nyssa played by Sarah Sutton. I cherish this story always for being set in Amsterdam as well as Gallifrey, featuring the return of Omega and a rare story having Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton as the Doctor and Nyssa, the Doctor-companion team that was meant to be. I'm very fond of this story and will always cherish it for years to come as it really embraces the character of Nyssa!

To find out what happens to Omega, find out in his own story 'Omega'.

So this DVD box-set is one of my favourites. `Arc of Infinity' is certainly better than `Time-Flight'. They are two stories featuring Nyssa who I consider to be my favourite `Doctor Who' companion and despite their faults managed to keep me entertained thoroughly. I highly recommend anyone to have this box-set added to your collection of `Doctor Who' stories, even if sometimes they seem daft and regarded poorly by fans in general.

On both stories, there's a coming soon trailer for the next DVD release 'The Time Warrior'.

3.0 out of 5 stars "B Movie Double Bill!", 6 Feb 2008
These are 2 stories that are unlikely to be at the top of anyone's wish list. They are at best also-rans.
"Timeflight" is the 1st and the weaker of the 2. the Doctor tries to take Nyssa and Tegan to the 1951 Festival of Britain and it goes wrong, landing them in Heathrow Aiport in the midst of "The Mystery of the Missing Concorde". The Doctor tracks it down to prehistoric Earth where The Master has (disguised as a strange oriental figure) been nicking the craft and people in the hope of gaining power from a race of malevolent aliens. Needless to say the Doc sorts it out.
There is a decent story there somewhere but it's got lost under the weight of its own fuzzy logic.
Why does The Master need to dress up as an oriental pantomime villain?
What does he really want the Concorde for?
There are never any statisfactory answers to what is going on.
Davison and the companions are good and Nyssa gets a few brief moments of something to do other than look sympathetic. Janet Fielding is particularly good when Tegan gets to finally play at Air Hostess, calming hysterical passengers and in a beautifully underplayed farewell as the Tardis leaves her behind. This is of course undercut by her return in the next story.We also get a quick cameo from a couple of old monsters, including Adric!
Anthony Ainley well, he comes on and does his Master bit and that's fine if nothing special , but before the reveal his performance as the Master's disguise character Khalid is pure Spike Milligan! It truly belongs in a lost Goon Show somewhere.
Aliens the Xeraphas make no lasting impression and the "Plasmaton" monsters are truly pathetic, apparently made from papier mache and washing up foam. methinks the budget was biting.
Undemanding fun, if you turn your brain off.

The extras lack a documentary but there is some production footage and the commentary to tell us about the story's troubled production. Fiedling and Davison are on top form and especially funny about working on Concorde and supporting actor now turned politician Michael Cashman.
There is a good interview with Janet Fielding about her whole Dr Who experience & a brief bit of interview footage with story writer Peter Grimwade.
"The Arc of Infinity" is a better effort, starting the next season after the 1 that Timeflight ended. The Doctor returns to Gallifrey to be executed for having allowed an invader to link with his body. The alien saves him and turns out to be the daddy of all renegade timelords Omega, trying to find a way back to the real world.
Omega's plan fails and he becomes a walking timebomb that the Doctor must stop.
It's a bit of a mess but there is still lots to enjoy. The Doctor, Nyssa and Tegan are all good as the actors playing them deliver the goods. Obvious to say but Colin Baker playing the tough guard Maxil makes quite an impression, and it's not hard to see why he got the top job later.
Micheal Gough is okay but uninspired and Leonard Sachs gives a rather duff performance. The pair of them matched with lacklustre turns by Eslpet Gray and Max Hastings make the Timelords home look like a retirment village in Eastbourne. Paul Jericho at least is good as an untrustworthy Castellan.

Ian Collier gives a good performance as Omega playing villain and victim alternately and his costume is good. As for the Ergon, at least as bad as the Plasmatons, a terrible 80's monster.

There is too much reliance on continuity for impact. Even casual viewers are meant to know who Borusa is, and more to the point who Omega is. there is too little information for those who never saw the characters to understand their significance. The revelation that Omega from the Three Doctors has returned after 10 years is not actually used as the climax for episode 3, but is so close to it that the revelation he cnotrols the matrix (itself never properly explained) was probably met with head scratching.
When the story is good though, it is very good. The callous way the Doctor is scapegoated and marked for execution (although when he next confronted those who condemned him he might have reacted more) and Nyssa's reaction to his apparanet death. Omega's reaction at being "alive again" and the Doctor's reunion with Tegan.

The extras include a proper documentary (and a good one too), a thumping good commentary as Colin Baker joins Davison and Fielding (watch for Colin's hilarious story of being mistaken for a runner by Mr. Jericho!)optional upgraded effects (which are good but not very striking) and a featurette on the character of Omega. Like most of the short featurettes it isn't given enough time to go anywhere.

A fun package, but for diehard fans only.

5.0 out of 5 stars best doctor who dvd YET!, 23 April 2014
Mrs. Mj Adeley (England) - See all my reviews
these doctor who dvd's are outstanding one is all about the concord with the master. And the other dvd is with the time lords
These are the classic you can get trust me it is an outstanding box set for 2 dvd's

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic doctor who and the commentaries are hilarious, 24 Mar 2014
It's much better than I expected and I got it packaged with the other DVD that I wanted because the BBC is no longer producing it in DVD format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time-Flight Good, Arc of Infinity Excellent, 19 Aug 2007
Calculus (4th Dimension) - See all my reviews
The best way to review this item it to review the two DVDs separately so that the quality can be judged.
Time-Flight is considered to be a very mediocre story, from the hay-day of the Davison era. I surpose in comparison to the greats from the Pertwee/T. Baker era, this is very true. However, as an eighties effort, Time-Flight is very good.
The useof Concord and the central concept was original for 'Who and the tight script alows Nyssa and Tegan to get an equal share of the action as Peter Davison's Doctor bounces with excitement from scene to scene.
I was never a fan of Doctor 5, however, over the years I have went from thinking him a mediocre Doctor, to an brilliant one. He brought an air of originality to the show.
The extras in Time-Flight are limited but good, with short interviews and behind the scenes 'mess ups'. There's good entertainment here.

Arc of Infinity is in fact a story that I am very fond of and, in fact, have wanted as a release on DVD for some time. Davison is just about at his peak of excellence here. Nyssa gets a great share of the action and Tegan's character is introduced sportingly. The Amsterdam setting is a nice exotic approach for 'Who, much like Paris in 'City of Death'.
Gallifrey is used well (beter than in 'The Five Doctors') to portray the very interesting (and very real) concept of partical antimatter and possible antimatter transfere.
One of my favourite villans makes a return on a much beter form than his previous encounter with the Doctor. Overall, Arc of Infinity shows just how good the Davison era was, with great writing and great acting, along with (mostly) great costume work.
The extras are good with the brilliant documentary (like they always are): Antimater in Amsterdam. It's presented by Sophie Aldred (for some reason!) and provides a good insite into the production and idea in to the serial.

Overall, a good release with two of the best from the Davison era. Give it a chance! Soon, hopefully, the Black Guardian Trilogy will be available as a boxset shwoing the Davison era at it's absolute very, very best. Role on Peter Davison!

4.0 out of 5 stars Time flies with Time Flight..., 24 July 2007
Mr. James M. Bateman (Colne, England) - See all my reviews
I remember being a newer Doctor Who fan about four years ago and buying Time Flight on Video and finding much to enjoy in this cheap but cheerful production. I know i'm not saying anything new when I say give it a chance, but really, when watching these two stories, turn half your brain off and just sit and watch Davison try and distract you from the productions short comings with a charming performance. Davison really is a fantastic Doctor and much like Christopher Ecclestone was a very unpredictable choice of actor to play everyone's favourite time lord at the time. Davison may look young but this fith incarnation is feeling older and he knows it, for example having a lie down to figure out a problem, a lovely little character moment in a story full of lovely little moments, you watch Captain Stapley and his mates and try your darned hardest not to like them.
Tegan has had a bit of bad press over the years but i must confess i've always had a soft spot for the "mouth on legs" and Nyssa is just so lovely with Sarah Suttons subtle characterisations being a nice contrast with Janets Fieldings more obvious style of performing which lends it's self greatly to Tegans character, anyhow i'm rambling.
Arc of Infinity, again not one of Doctor Who's best outings but wonderfully entertaining all the same. Davison is firing off all cylinders in this one with his steely "i have a great deal more to say" to his immensly moving portryal of Omega wondering lost around Amsterdam. So what
if the story only begins to move in part four, theres much to enjoy along the way. This is a worthwhile purchase for anyone slightly curious about Classic Who.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another tempting box set, 6 Jun 2007
I remember the first two seasons of Peter Davisons Doctor Who stories as poor compared to pre-1981. I thought Peter Davison was a great Doctor, and so were the rest of the regulars.
I remember Time-Flight as being quite a weak story, cause it followed Earthshock. Arc of Infinity and the rest of the season wasn't all that good either. Still, it won't stop me buying this superbly put together box-set. I can't resist the extra's you get with them. All very well put together. It will be interesting to watch Janet Fieldings interview on her portrail of Tegan. I thought she was rather good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avonova Favourite Doctor, 27 July 2007
Well, I'm one of the rare species of human being who actually likes both "Time Flight" and "Arc of Infinity" and why? They are entertaining! Peter Davison, no matter what he does is entertaining. He does his best with what ever he takes on. In fact all the cast of these two episodes do their best with the material they have to work with. I have worked in theatre and have a great experience with low budget productions. Most of the Peter Davison episodes were low budget and perhaps not the best stories, but I love them. Even Peter Davison himself doesn't like "Time Flight" but he should still credit himself with doing his best under the circumstances. Watch for the scene where the Doctor climbs out of the TARDIS when it is lying in its back in the cramped space of Concord's cargo hold. He raises his eyes to the ceiling much to say, "This is ridiculous, how many more times do I have to do this?"

I am looking forward to seeing these two episodes on DVD, as I can watch them on my computer unlike the rather warn videos. I just hope I can tolerate the rubbishing of "Time Flight", by the actors themselves, especially Peter Davison. Perhaps he has a new perspective on it by now. Of course I don't have to listen to the sound track comments, but I know I will. I just wish there was a place on line where I could answer them.

Don't expect the greatest Doctor Who ever, you can't beat today's budget for the present Doctor Who which has pulled out all the stops. This is 2007, these episodes were about 1981. Either buy and be entertained, or don't buy, but enough of the complaining please!

Avonova