5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect synthesis
Take 45% hard core punk, 45% classic rock and 10% self-aware Spinal Tap and you have Norway's greatest musical export. Forget those joyless black metal f**k s - this is the real thing!

"Retox" is closer to the classic "Apocalypse Dudes" than recent albums - more punk and good with it!

Starting with the scorching "We're gonna drop the atom bomb" and...
Published on 13 Sept. 2007 by Lucius

2.0 out of 5 stars It saddens me to say this ....
Published on 21 Aug. 2007 by Marcus G

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect synthesis, 13 Sept. 2007
Lucius (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Retox (Audio CD)

Starting with the scorching "We're gonna drop the atom bomb" and the pummelling "Welcome to the garbage dump" we move into two more comedic (but still rocking) tracks with "Hell toupee" and "Stroke the shaft" before channeling speed-metal Motorhead circa 1982 with "No I'm Alpha male" - especially Tom's bass solo.

Next is the single "Do you dig destruction" - vaguely reminiscent of the best of fellow scandinavians The Hives - bizarre but singalong with a fine minor-key coda. "I wanna come" is a classic garage / stooges slow grind with killer chord work.

"You must bleed" - sounds like early Iron Maiden (fine if you like that sort of thing). "Hot and Filthy" - a clap-along Twisted Sister sort of a thing - loud but derivative...unlike "Boys from Nowhere" - a classic TN hard punk song - in the same vein as "All my friends are dead".

There's a quick comedic interlude with "Everybody loves a chubby dude" before we're into "What is Rock!"- this 7-minute track starts fast and hard before a typical TN slow-down and a rocking outro. Lyrically this explores all of the Turbonegro themes - Sex, death, denim and dogs...drugs, themselves
- "We saved rock and roll! - with our bare hands! - we saved that goddamned rock and roll!"

If good artists borrow and great artists steal then Turbonegro are the Pink Panthers of Rock!

4.0 out of 5 stars My two cents..., 29 Aug. 2007
Matt Pucci "mattpucci.com" (Here, there and everywhere) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Retox (Audio CD)
NO, NO, NO! This is not a bad record. YEAH, YEAH, YEAH! This is a Turbonegro record - and a damn fine one at that. Okay, okay, okay... it isn't Apocalypse Dudes, Ass Cobra or even Scandanavian Leather, and in terms of sound and song-structure, it's closer to 2005's Party Animals, but it still rocks with a deliciously evil intent that belies the band's 'tongue-in-cheek' image. Euroboy's guitar riffs, licks and solos still slay, and while Hank von Helvete's lyrics are increasingly self-parodic, there are numerous flashes of genius in that department too: on 'Hell Toupée', for example, he complains of being stuck "googling for wigs" after a life of "stealing riffs and blowing gigs"; 'Stroke the Shaft', meanwhile, is an hilarious if entirely unsubtle ode to, er, "the pipe you cannot smoke". You get the idea.

Granted; there are a couple of duff tracks but with the likes of 'We're Gonna Drop The Atom Bomb', 'Do You Do You Dig Destruction?' and my personal favourite, 'Boys From Nowhere', there's no denying Turbonegro's commitment to keeping the soul of rock n'roll alive and aflame, and having recently set up their own label it looks as though they're in it for the long haul this time. Awesome.

Matt Pucci

4.0 out of 5 stars Not their best album, but contains some of their best songs, 6 Feb. 2014
Ben Cormack (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Retox (Audio CD)
It's hard to beat Apocalypse Dudes and Scandinavian Leather at being amazing Turbonegro albums from start to finish, but Retox has a couple of tracks that stand out as some of there best material they've done. "Do you dig destruction" is totally amazing, and "Boys from Nowhere" will probably make it onto my list of best songs ever. "What is Rock" is a mad song with some genius lyrics and really different Turbo styles. There are a couple of songs where the innuendo and toilet humour sounds a bit tired after all these years, - "stroke the shaft" and "I wanna come" being the most obvious, although the latter has an absolute belter of a chorus.
All in all a pretty good album with top-notch highlights, an improvement on the Party Animals album, and well worth adding to your Turbonegro collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Turbo Still Kicks Ass, 30 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Retox (Audio CD)
They can never do the old albums over. I really enjoy this album, but I dont find myself listening over and over like the other albums. Lyrics are very classic turbo, and they are still my favorite band to see live! Denim Demon!

2.0 out of 5 stars It saddens me to say this ...., 21 Aug. 2007
Marcus G (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Retox (Audio CD)
I'm a huge Turbonegro fan and rate Scandanavian Leather as one of the best metal albums out there but ... The last album Party Animals was (to be blunt) "not very good" - a couple of tracks which were good, a few fillers and then some which stinked to high hell. Retox is pretty much the same - having played it 5 times, I've found maybe three songs I want to hear again. The top of the bunch is "Everybody loves a chubby dude" - but there's some real stinkers such as "What is rock" (which bizarrely starts off in a very nice new original intro and then rapidly descends into self parody). Have Turbonego lost their way? This Alpha Denim Recruit fears the worse.

My suggestion - wait till the price drops and then buy the album to rip off "Chubby Dudes" for your gym mp3 player.

Retox
Retox by Turbonegro (Audio CD - 2010)