4.0 out of 5 stars Great mobile phone
Published on 7 July 2008 by M. Clement

3.0 out of 5 stars ok... but not great
i got this phone mainly because of its cybershot camera. I was fairly impressed with the camera - pretty good for a mobile phone, but not as good as my canon ixus 40. My main complaint is that the camera is fairly slow at taking photos, and there is quite often noise at low light levels (still don't think the flash is as good as a proper camera)

But my main...
Published on 30 April 2008 by J. Cummins

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mobile phone, 7 July 2008
M. Clement (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Ericsson K800i Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have owned this phone for just about a year, and I do like it a lot. It is my first Sony Ericsson and certainly not my last. This phone offers great value for money with its ample extra features from FM radio to its 3.2 Megapixels camera. However... potential buyers must not assume that its camera produces pictures of a quality equivalent to true digital cameras. I own an actual 3.2 megapixels Cybershot camera (bought in 2004), which produces pictures of a better quality that what the phone camera can produce although the resolution is supposedly the same.

Having said this, I bought the phone to use as a phone... not as a digital camera, and for this I am quite happy with it. The extra office/organizer features such as calendar, notes, tasks, etc. are fully compatible with MS Outlook with which they can be synchronized at the click of a button. This proved to be very useful and something I now use all the time.

The only truly downsides that I have experienced with this phone are the relatively poor original battery life (quite good initially, but rapidly decreased as the months went by), and the cumbersome easily opened-by-accident camera cover. Because of this, I can only give it 4 stars.

As mentioned above, although it is definitely not perfect (nothing is...), I do like this phone quite a bit, and do think it is excellent overall value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone! So good I bought two, 5 Jan 2008
This is a really great phone. I had one and sold it but ended up buying another one as could not find anything else as good. I now have the silver version as featured in the latest James Bond film.

Good points:
Great camera - 3 megapixel with auto focus. Hold the button down until the phone beeps and you see the white box turn green. Metal slide keeps it safe from scratches and when opened, automatically starts the camera even when you have keypad lock on - great for quick snaps. It also has a 'real' flash rather than a useless LED light!
Features:
Great calendar - with alarm clock which wakes you up but allows you to turn the phone off at night to save battery. Tasks list & Notes. Code memo which can store all your secret passwords but can only be accessed with the code.
Music player - to play all your MP3 tracks. Lets you sort by Artist/track or create playlists.
Entertainment - FM radio, Video player and editor, sound recorder, Bluetooth remote control - allows you to use your phone as a cordless presenter for PowerPoint presentations etc. Bluetooth V2 USB stick required.
Contacts - Loads of storage for all your contacts and their various numbers/birthday/notes/email & postal addresses
File Manager - Lets you browse everything stored on your phone memory and memory card. Very handy to find and select pictures/videos/music/ringtones/themes/games/applications
USB Cable - This is supplied and very useful for transferring pictures and other files to/from phone

Bad points:
3G drains the battery - I was disappointed with the battery life at first until I figured out you can turn off 3G in Settings>Connectivity>Mobile Networks>GSM/3G Networks (select GSM only). Now lasts much longer and am very happy with performance. Only really need 3G for fast internet browsing and video calls, neither of which I use on this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exemplary Sony product, 15 Feb 2010
M. Carr (Gloucester) - See all my reviews
This phone was recommended to me as one of the best camera phones on the market even though its now been around for four years. Its my first Sony purchase and more than fulfills my expectations, beautifully built with all the functions I could wish for. I am delighted with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, shame about battery, 5 July 2009
Mr. Ritis Haria (Middlesex, UK) - See all my reviews
I've only had this phone a couple of weeks.

This is a great phone, with some good features:
Phone
Camera
Music Player
Radio

The phone is good

Tha camera is excellent. I haven't tried all the features on it, but it takes great photos, due to autofocus, auto-flash and image stabiliser.

I've not tried the music player or the radio yet.

There is one downside though - the battery. I found that the battery only lasted a couple of days, until one of your other reviewers (Mobile Phone King) stated that to prolong the life of the battery, change the settings from 3G/GSM to GSM only. This seems to have done the trick. Shame this wasn't mentioned in the user manual that came with the phone. I also don't like it that to fully recharge the phone it takes 2.5 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars K800i Review - Top Class Phone, 12 Dec 2006
Ok my whole Sony Ericsson experience started with the w800i, wich was a really good, solid phone. I decided to change over to contract so i visited my local phone shop (Which happened to be the Carphonewarehouse) and got hook instantly on the LG Chocolate. After the guy in the shop trying his best to talk me out of buying it, and tellin me to get the samsung d800 I decided it looked to damm good!! Its now a few months down the line, and my LG chocolate has been taken back (not that it was a bad phone, just very limited) and I am now a proud owner or the Sony Ericsson K800i.

At first i wasent sure about it. Its not the most attractive looking phone out there, and after having the LG chocolate, its like trading in Jennifer Lopez for madonna (now this isnt a bad thing, but you get my point.)Anyway The phone looks good and has very nice curves at the top and bottom. also a rather professional lavender colour behind the buttons. The phone itself feels solid, and you think to yourself if I dropped this on the floor, it might chip the floor!!

The screen has great colour as you'd expect from a phone that has class written all over it. The menu's are soooooooo easy to navigate, and the photo and video albums show off your pic's great.

The theme's that come as standered arnt as nice as the one's that came on the w800i but if you look at a few sony ericsson theme sites you can download some really nice looking skins for the phone!! This was a selling point for me, as i dont know any other phones the let you customise as much as this one!!!

THE CAMERA!!!! And Well WOW!!!! 3.2 mega pixel says it all, the phone has loads of options for taking your pics and the zoom is great and dosent fuzz much at all, like i have seen on all other phones that have a zoom. The pictures come out so crisp and clear, you have to see it to belive it. and with the flash it dosent matter day or night you will always to quality pictures. Its also got the new BestPic© feture that actually takes phones b4 you have pressed the button, and then after the picture has been taken, lets you choose which one looks best!!

The video recording is ok in the day, and better than most in the night, with the nightmode feature.

Mp3's are of great sound quality on the phone, and where as some phones sound tinny while playing the mp3's via the loadspeaker, the k800i manages to sidestep this problem and gives a pure rich sound. The navigation is also good for the mp3's and gives a ipod-esque type of navigation.

The phone comes with a rather dissapointing 64mb internal storage space, but has a slot for a card, of which you can get a 2gb card for about £[...] these's days, so its bareable!!

Overall this is one of the best phone's i have had, it blends everything I look for and puts it in one maddona looking shell :-)

9.4/10

----------------------------------

Reeco

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB!!, 21 Jan 2008
D. Russell (West Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
I had the K800i as soon as it was released in the UK and over the last 2+ years, I have had nothing but sterling service from it from the word go, it has never failed, despite being dropped from my butter fingers and has never complained at all, it is very easy to use and as other readers have said the camera is very good, better, in some cases, to my Nikon and Pentax digitals!
My only complaints are that the battery life is a bit poor at times and alsothe internet is slow but that could be my ISP T-Mobile, and the joystick has started to stick but that could be old age!

Other than that, well done Sony Erricson, I would have no complaints having another and for anyone wanting a user friendly, feature packed phone, you cannot do better.

UPDATE JUNE 2012

I managed to get a brand new K800i after years of trying lots of different phones inc touchscreen and blackberry and never finding them to be reliable or have rediculously short battery life. Smartfonz the supplier were really good and phone was immaculate condition and is just as reliable. This phone is a classic and is still as good now as four years ago! It was great to use again and feels tough and well built

5.0 out of 5 stars Relieved to find it was still available, 9 May 2012
I bought the predecessor to this model 4 years ago and it was finally beginning to fray at the edges. Initially I replaced it with a touchscreen phone which quickly drove me mad. I then found there were still some of these around. If what you mainly use a mobile for is phoning and texting and if you want the facility of taking reasonable photos at all times this is the phone for you. I'm a keen photographer with a digital SLR and a quality compact for travel but I don't carry either all the time and this is a good back up. The lens cover, complained about by some reviewers, is a great feature because it covers and protects the lens! Other good features are the menu system, which is easy to use, and the facility to expand the memory. Ok it is a bit of a brick but I love it

4.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever had, 13 Nov 2007
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I'm not a mobile phone obsessive, and to be honest mine is switched off more than it is switched on (I don't feel the need for mine to be on 24/7, but want to have it on when I want to use it) but over the years I've had a few handsets and this is by far the best. Initially it looks a bit chunky but the handset is actually quite a nice size, easily fits into a pocket - even a shirt pocket - and isn't too heavy.

As a telephone it works as well as expected and the reception is very clear. The camera is excellent, and when my "real" camera decided to stop working the day before a friend's wedding this was a surprisingly able emergency replacement.

The screen on the telephone is one of the best I have ever seen, nice and large and extremely clear, and the menus are very easy to navigate using the small joystick.

I only have two criticisms of this phone... Firstly the "lens cap" of the camera is a sliding panel on the back of the phone, and it slides open far too easily. There have been times when I've taken the phone out of my pocket and found that the cover has come open, taken half a dozen pictures of the inside of my pocket, worn my battery down a bit and also meant that I got a big greasy fingermark on the lens when removing it. Sadly there is no way to "lock" the cover, so you just have to be extremely careful. Secondly the ringing volume of the phone is rather low even when set to its highest, so there have been quite a few times when the phone has rung while I've been out shopping and I've not heard it. These two niggles aside, the phone is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A phone to Bond with!, 30 Dec 2006
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
A version of this phone stars in Casino Royale,the latest Bond movie, and, in fact, you can get a "special" consumer version of the Bond phone e.g. it has Bond themed wallpaper and ringtones etc. However, for those of us with more mundane lives the "normal" version of the K800i can serve us well too - it is an effective phone with a high quality display, good reception and a wide choice of settings/profiles. Importantly, it is easy to navigate and quickly becomes intuitive. As a bonus the camera is superlative and could enable you to get that "once in a lifetime" shot by virtue of the fact you're more likely to have your phone than a camera with you, and, the quality of the phone's camera - 3.2 megapixel, anti-shake and autofocus. It also plays MP3s admirably, although, thanks to the unique SE connector, you can only use the in-ear phones supplied with the K800i.

Overall, a lovely phone, if I had to pick holes - it uses a Micro Memory -Stick which is likely to introduce yet another format of memory card into your life, and the battery life, although good, is not the best I have experienced. To me buying a phone is like choosing a friend - get it wrong and you'll be let down - but have no worries here this one's a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, good camera, 21 Mar 2007
M. Jennings "RhythMick" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I moved from my solid and reliable Nokia 6310i and have been extremely pleased with the K800i. The functionality is very good - I use it for my calendar and contacts (both sync'd with Outlook) and now don't use either paper or PDA. The menu's are very easy to use and generally you get to grips with the phone very quickly.

It's pretty solid - I've dropped mine 3 times now, including from a ski-lift ! No problem.

The camera is superb. This is a real camera, wedged into a phone, with a real flash. The resolution doesn't tell the whole story - the lens is good quality and the results are very good. Video is rubbish - better than any other phone video I've seen, but still rubbish. The memory expansion means I can store around 500 photo's - way more than I need.

2 minor downers - no Mercedes cradle (even the Bluetooth cradle doesn't work because it needs SAP, Sim Access Profile) and the camera cover slides open too easily (and I HAVE taken a photo of my pockets !).

No hesitation recommending though.