4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone despite some minor issues!
Published on 29 July 2007 by Successful Design

1.0 out of 5 stars An almost unusable phone
I don't usually write reviews but the Samsung U600 has driven me to it. Although the phone is very slim, pretty, good screen etc, it has the user interface from hell. It's so bad that the phone is almost unusable.
Published on 10 Nov 2008 by R. Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone despite some minor issues!, 29 July 2007
This review is from: Samsung U600 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
Having read a lot of bad press about this phone I was a bit concerned about buying one... glad I went ahead as I think it is wonderful! The touch sensitive buttons that everyone moans about can sometimes end up dialing someone accidentally but pressing cancel soon stops it! It locks the keypad when it is shut so accidental dialing only happens when you are using it and being too heavy handed. The touch sensitive keys work wonderfully if gently tapped rather than pressing like a traditional button.

I have found it very easy to use once I had played with it for a day - it is true that the instruction manual is next to useless but it is all common sense.

The software doesn't work with a Mac so I have used bluetooth to get photos off camera and music on. Camera takes good pics but is a touch slow, have found pressing the i button in the centre takes a picture easier than the camera button on the side as it then takes care of the auto focus etc.

Music player is excellent, good sound from the speaker considering it's a phone! Good volume levels... radio is fairly good except you have to have the headphones connected in order for it to function.. but can then put onto speaker - go figure!

Set up email fairly easily... though you will have to check that the GPRS settings are set up for your service provider, got my phone from CPWarehouse and despite is saying Virgin a lot of the settings were set to Vodaphone or O2... so it didn't worky!

Menu has icons which are easy to follow - a little long winded in places but thankfully goes back to the last place you were in so you don't have to keep going through the entire thing. You can also programme in 5 shortcut for whatever functions you use the most.

Battery is as shortlived as the reviews say (2days) so have just purchased a 1000amh battery from Amazon which reviewers have said will last 4-6days - only about 4 plus postage.

If you are worried about the touch sensitive buttons then might be an idea to wait for the G600 to come out, not quite as nice looking though. All in all very pleased with this, no phone is perfect, just depends on what your needs are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Samsung U600. Stylish & Elegant!, 24 May 2007
E. Chung "Norfolk Terrior" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung U600 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
I have had my Samsung U600 since 1st May, and so far so good, no problems with it what-so-ever. It seems to be a really reliable little phone.

The phone is quite slim as you may already know and that is what you will be paying for mainly. The phone has all the usual features.

I recently had a N95 which I sold because the battery ran out daily and often crashes, not to mention the annoying loss slider! Apart from that the phone was amazing, it could do some much!

The slider on the Samsung U600 is brilliant, smooth and quiet- just the way it should be!

So having switched to a Samsung U600, I do miss some of the features from the N95. However, I have grown custom to the U600 as it is really stylish and compact. The N95 is a bit chunky so if you have it in your trouser pocket it feels really uncomfortable and looks a bit weird if you know what I mean. The U600 is the exact opposite.

The best thing about it must be the size, you won't even notice it in your pocket. Sometimes I have to feel my pocket just to make sure its there.

The battery on this phone is pretty decent too, on average you will need to charge it once every 3 days so you don't have to worry about whether it the battery will run out later on. There are 3 bars, one bar is the equivalent to 1 day standby or 1 hour talktime, handy to know if you make a lot of calls.

Email is simple, you can receive your emails within seconds. Once the emails have downloaded onto the phone, the U600 automatically disconnects from your web server so minimizing your cost.

If you like to surf the web on your mobile, the large screen is definately a plus point.

Samsung have made a great phone when you consider how much stuff the phone can do when it is so small. The annoying thing about this phone is that it doesn't have 3G. I know it isn't essential but for the money you would expect it to have it.

Samsung are bringing out the Samsung U700 soon which is the next one up from this, and it has 3G. I can guess it will cost around the 300 mark when first launched.

P.S. Apple are bringing out their first handset, its called an iPhone. It's a must have!!! Expect it in UK around September time but the price may burn a hole in your pocket - the 4GB version is expected to cost 350.00, the 8GB version is expected to cost 450.00 (still less than the N95!!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good slider phone, 16 July 2007
CJ (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung U600 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
Samsung's new U600 is, apparently, the slimmest slider phone on the market. There is no doubt it certainly looks good, plus it is very light so carrying the phone around in your pocket is no problem.

The U600 comes with a 3.2 megapixel camera complete with light, autofocus, different shooting modes and all the top features you would expect on a camera phone nowadays. Picture quality is good although indoors it drops away a bit as many of these cameras tend to do. The phone also shoots video, although sadly only up to a resolution of 352 x 288. For such a high spec phone this seems a little low when other handsets such as Nokia's 6280 will do 640 x 480. Video is rather blocky but it does the job.

There is a built-in music player and radio, both of which work pretty well and will play music whilst you are doing other things on the phone. Playlists and media info are supported. The supplied headphones are OK but you may want to consider a Bluetooth stereo headset. The phone uses 60MB of internal memory plus a MicroSD card. File management is very good and the supplied Samsung software is easy to use and reliable for moving files, contacts, etc. between the phone and your computer.

The U600 also has loads of other features, including web access, e-mail, Java games, calendar functions and so on. Voice quality is good, if a little tinny, and the battery lasts pretty well. Charging is very quick. The screen is excellent, a good size and very clear.

Use of this phone is mostly intuitive and easy to pick up. The many features are quickly accessed and there are lots of shortcuts you can set-up to get to the features you use the most quickly. The U600 is a nice phone to use overall.

So it looks great, has lots of features, a decent camera, is easy to use and is a well-rounded, very capable phone. But the U600 is let down just a little bit by two things.

The first is the touch-sensitive buttons. These are on the slider (the main keypad are standard buttons) and can be either too sensitive (you brush one and it starts making a call) or don't respond well at all (one is used to backspace and can take a few presses).

The phone automatically locks the buttons when the slider is closed, which is definitely a good idea, but you then have to press the power button on top to unlock, or open the slider. It's not great and I would have preferred not to have touch-sensitive buttons as they are just not reliable or convenient enough.

Secondly, for a phone at this price-point, it feels a little cheaper than I expected. Build quality is OK but some of the edges seem a bit rough and the slider is rather loose when the phone is closed. The mechanism works fine though. The battery cover on the back also leaves a slight gap through which you can see the SIM card.

I like this phone and can recommend it as it looks very cool and has a high spec. I was just a little disappointed as it wasn't as polished a handset as I thought it would be.

1.0 out of 5 stars An almost unusable phone, 10 Nov 2008
R. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung U600 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
1. The touch sensitivity of the buttons can be varied from so sensitive that they are accidentally activated far too often to so insensitive that you think you haven't clicked them. And nothing in between.
2. When texting, the delete button more often deletes the whole message rather than a single character (see 1).
3. The predictive text system is the worst I've ever encountered. It seems impossible to input a word (e.g. a name!) that's not in the dictionary.
4. The manual is pretty useless. It's very incomplete which is particularly frustrating as the phone is clearly very feature rich.
If a student of mine were to produce a user interface and documentation like this, I would fail them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone fantastic size and camera is fab, 15 Dec 2007
This review is from: Samsung U600 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
I just bought this phone and I love it. It's sleek and small and durable, my sisters had one for a little while and I've wanted it for ages. She keeps it in her overpacked handbag and batters it around and hers still looks great. The camera is brillient and I love the colour of the phone. The screen definition is really high and that adds to the quality of my downloaded videos. I've got a 2 gig memory card with lots on it and the phone is really fast. It does everything and looks amazing, I'm very happy with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars My First Samsung: Wish I Never Bothered!, 30 Sep 2007
This review is from: Samsung U600 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
I'm going to start this review by saying that me and this phone didn't start on the right foot. I originally had my heart set on the G600 when I was looking into updating my phone, however since I had to pay 100 for the phone on top of 30 for the new contract, I decided to try the U600 - simply because it was free.

After 3 days it's now back in its box waiting for the Orange return bag to be sent.
I'll try hard not to be too negative, bare in mind that this review is based on a 3 day trial before giving up.

The phone is very slim, it's known as the "slimmest phone on the market" according to Samsung. It's designed nicely with the camera carefully protected when the phones not in use, the button also are hidden when the phone isn't pushed up. Sliding down the phone locks the keypad. However it is quite delicate, it slides up easily enough but due to it's thinness I truly believe that one slip of a finger, fall to the floor and it'll smash into lots of little pieces.

Due to its slim design, holding it whilst texting will take some getting use to and practise. The non-touch sensitive buttons respond well and are decent size since I'm used to the tiny buttons on my previous N70 phone.
The battery life is not what I though it would be; I recharged it fully when I received it on Thursday evening, the battery life dropped by one bar on Saturday - oddly enough just as I activated the Bluetooth for 2 minutes. So a few days shorter than my N70 but enough for those who are used to short batteries lives like the N95.

The main screen has the menu on the left hand side (similar to the N series) but can be altered in what's available (slightly), you can change the shortcuts at the bottom of the screen if you desire. However you cannot attach shortcuts to the circular dial. The main menu is easy to navigate, with 12 categories to browse through, including messages, settings, camera, connectivity and calendar.

This is the first phone I've had that's had touch sensitive buttons, and it'll be my last.
The two answer/end call buttons plus the two on either bottom side of the screen which activate short cuts are all touch sensitive.
Though they seem like nice novelty features at the time, they are not practical and annoying. At the brush of a cheek whilst calling someone ends the conversation abruptly, meaning that I had to hold the bottom half of the phone far away from my face in order to talk to someone without cutting them off.
I work for a television studio which requires me to do multiple things at once whilst talking to producers. On countless times I've had to hold up my phone using my shoulder whilst carrying props and breakfast for presenters back and forth. I can't be worrying about the touch sensitive phones whilst I'm working. If you have a less hectic job, work from home, or a young teenager that is not concerned about treating the phone nicely whilst making a call - the touch sensitive issue shouldn't be a problem.

The end call button also serves as a `cancel' text button too; since it doesn't always register you end up pressing it more than you need to and deleting half of your text. The same goes for the other touch sensitive buttons too, it's doesn't always pick up the touch straight away, if you have a quick temper this phone will drive you up the wall.

The camera is 3.2 mega pixels; though decent in quality it's not as flattering as it should be. The picture quality is only a percentage better than the camera on my N70 (which was a 2 mega pixel). The flash is automatically off and must be turned on to activate it, unlike the previous phones I've had that are more practical and the flash comes one when the lighting is low.

Also there are no available shortcuts to activate it at the touch of the button (though the trail run I had on the G600 in the Orange shop did). You can make a shortcut to your inbox and calendars but not to the camera. You have to plow through the menu to find the camera icon and slide it up for it to activate, in addition the "shutter time" (the time it takes from clicking the button to taking a picture) is VERY long compared to my previous phones. It has auto-focus, which can't be turned off, so it zooms onto an object and takes a picture, the final result will appear after 4 to 12 seconds, depending how far away the object is. Not ideal when taking photos of fast moving objects.

Furthermore, the "key pad" volume and the "camera shutter" noise are counted as the same thing, so if you want the key pad to be mute when dialling you have to sacrifice not hearing the camera going off (annoying if you want to take photos of yourself - which is popular amongst the youth culture).

There are also little nick-picking things that I will bring up and hope that they help you.
You can select, when receiving an incoming call, for it to ring, vibrate, vibrate then ring or ring and vibrate. But you can only have sound when receiving texts - meaning that if I'm walking around or on the train with my ipod blaring I won't be able to tell if I receive a text, so I'll have to check my phone every few minutes to see if anyone has. Not ideal if you're in a busy/noisy environment.
Selecting text mode is slightly longer than it needs to be, instead of pressing a button to choose your input mode, (like on most Nokia phones) you have to call up the menu, select input type and then choose. Maybe not much of a problem to most people but if you can change from small letter to capitals to numbers with a touch of a button why not the input type?
Another strange thing to point out is that the sound settings has its own section on the menu, it's not with the settings...why Samsung? Didn't want only 11 options so thought you'd make the sound department separate?

So my first experience with the Samsung phone range was not a positive one. I've decided to return the phone and go for the G600, hoping that it won't be as disappointing, if I am it'll teach me to sway from the Nokia phones which I rate so highly. If you're concerned about the touch sensitive issue from the start - don't bother to click the "add to basket".

5.0 out of 5 stars a great little phone, 2 Nov 2007
Luke Mcgrath "Silver Uchiha" (Lincoln, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung U600 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
i got this phone as part of a contract and is one of my best phones yet its a must have for anyone looking for a good phone !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good U600, 29 May 2008
This review is from: Samsung U600 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
I have had this phone for a year, and it was great having it. Its both stylish, light weight, camera is good with loads of facilities...and overall the phone looks sophisticated and elegant.

No problems with this phone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, reliable mobile!, 12 April 2008
This review is from: Samsung U600 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
I have owned this phone for over six months now and have never had one single problem with it. Personally, I love the way it looks, and the way it is all set out. I thought it was all a bit confusing at first, my previous phone having been a Motorola L7. But I soon got used to it.
Posotives:-
*The camera is much better than what I expected, with 3.2 megapixels.
*Has a memory card slot to expand the memory.
* In six or seven months it has never frozen.
*In spite of having dropped it onto hard surfaces on several occasions (I am a rather clumsy person) it has no chips or scuffs.
*The battery life, in my opinion, is pretty good.
Negatives:-
*The sound quality isn't wonderful. Using the headphones, however, improves it.
*You can't buy your own headpones. You have to use the ones that come with it.
Overall, I think it is worth it's price. I know that not a lot of people think as much of it as I do, but I guess that is just their opinion. I am glad I bought it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Samsung U600 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
I needed something basic for texts only. It's not the most user friendly phone, I have to keep starting things again because of accidental deletes but it will do.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›