on 2 August 2011
Having served 23 years in the British Army I was lucky enough to exercise in Norway during winter time (Jan - Mar) where night time temperatures could drop as low as -28c. If their was one piece of equipment that never let me down and proved to be reliable and hardy it was the Coleman peak stove, therefore when I was looking for a camping stove to use back in the UK the Coleman double burner looked perfect for the job. The cooker is all self contained and there's no need to take a bulky gas bottle with you and it fires up first time every time. Before I leave home I fill up the burner's reservoir and a small sigg bottle from the unleaded fuel can which I use for my petrol lawn mower; the sigg bottle fits inside the cooker along with the funnel. This amount of fuel can last 4 - 5 days. When in operation the flame can burn so hot(if turned up to the max) that the burner glows red and it takes no time at all to boil a kettle.

Until recently we hadn't been camping for 8 years so the burner had been on a cold damp concert floor in the garage. The metal case had become rusy so I rubbed it back to the metal and resprayed it with Hammerite smooth green and it looks as good as new. Point to note: even though it hadn't been used since 2003 it fired up first time. If you want a quality cooker that won't let you down, won't cost you the earth in gas and lets you cook bacon and eggs and beans at the same time then look no further - you won't be disappointed.
on 2 November 2014
As the headline says total quality.
I have had one of these now for around 12 to 14 years now yes that long I forgot when I bought it.
But sadly it is dead now hence I am looking for another one and just thought I would do a review on it for anyone else who was thinking about getting one.
I use it for the pike fishing we usually go for 3/4 days at a time with 3 guys using the stove.
This thing will cook anything due to the controllability of the heat/flame and the way the two burners work "one is real hot and the other is not so hot" .
I did see one review where someone could not work the two rings at the same time and found it difficult to work I can see where they are coming from but once you get used to it it is great as u can cook something then keep it hot on one ring and cook something else on the main ring.
There is a sticker on it saying "DO NOT USE AS A SPACE HEATER" well we have put two full tanks of fuel through it with both burners going full tilt on more than one occasion just to heat the bivvy up in the depths of winter with no adverse affects apart from it glowing :-) .
now this thing is not without its problems yes it does blacken your pots as I use unleaded petrol yes it aint the lightest thing in the world and yes you will get smelly fingers while filling it up.
But what you do get is a rock solid reliable bit of kit that will do whatever you want and will last for years.
As I say mine has just died and I was going to go for a gas stove to replace it as they are easier to use but after a conversation with the boys we are going to get another one of these bad boys.
This thing has never let me down for over ten years of use and believe me it gets used and abused.
I could go on and on about how good this is but need to get to bed .
LAST WORDS this is a man tool your pots will get dirty you might get smelly fingers but what you will have a great reliable bit of kit that will last for years and take a lot of abuse.
So if you are the kinda guy who takes a mirror up the woods with you !!!! buy a gas stove !!!!
on 15 January 2011
We bought this stove over ten years ago, we have carried it all over europe by motocycle and car, cooked every thing on it from toast to fish and chips, sunday roasts the lot, the little fuel tank lasts for ages, once we ran out of petrol in the middle of a field in germany no proplem took some from the bike, and tea was cooked, it also burns hotter than the gas stoves, we no longer go camping, but use the little green coleman in the garden, batted and scratched but still going strong.
on 26 August 2011
Bought this before going on honeymoon and it has been brilliant. Really simple, really effective and pretty well made. Fairly lightweight, but you wouldn't want to go hiking with it! Good product, would recommend.
on 4 June 2012
I've had one of these burners now for over 15 years and it hasn't changed a bit since then... and why should it, it's almost perfect in my opinion. More controllable and burns hotter than gas. It can boil a kettle in no time. The right burner is the main burner and runs hotter than than the left, which is controlled separately. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it's so reliable, sturdy and easy to cook with, it can be forgiven this minor drawback.

I've had tents and camper van over the years and our trusty Coleman has been with us everywhere. We even use it for BBQ's at home and take it to our friends if they need outside burners for cooking al fresco along side a regular BBQ.

It might be quite expensive to buy compared to gas burners, but pound for pound, probably the best value, longest lasting and most used piece of camping equipment we've ever owned.
on 28 August 2010
I bought this for a friend who attends lots of 2CV ralleys in France. It's about half the cost of buying it in France. He sleeps for up to a week in his 1964 Azam and this is perfect for him, along with the Coleman dual fuel lamp. His friends all want one now!
on 27 August 2010
Had seen this item used whilst camping. It does all it claims to do. Item arrived within 2 days of order and before expected delivery date. Well done to the supplier for this!
on 17 September 2015
I bought this stove along with the NorthStar lantern and I must say that if you're into camping, then you should seriously consider buying this stove.

The reasons that led me to getting this stove are a few:

1. Cheaper to run when compared to butane or propane
2. Availability of fuel pretty much anywhere
3. Output
4. Durability

Not the price though. But this is to be judged on the long run, and if you camp frequently every year, and if you cook a lot while camping, then it will pay off.

You can get similar sized stoves from Coleman or other brands which are much cheaper than those that run on gas canisters, but as I said, it will be more expensive to run after a couple of camping seasons.

The build is good enough. I was expecting maybe something more sturdy and heavy duty, the casing is a bit thin and so are the side flaps, but I don't think that the stove will fail because of that. I understand that old models of this type of stove would be stronger built using thicker metal, but this one is alright nonetheless.

The side flaps may be retracted in order to use a large size pot or pan, which is good if you're cooking a large meal.

Output is brutal, it boils water fast, I mean really fast. On full output the flame is immense! Much stronger than butane/propane stoves, no comparison (unless you use an industrial stove with large cylinder - not that appropriate for a camping environment).

When you turn on the second burner, output decreases, which is understandable, but still very strong flame on both burners.

Regarding safety, which is something that you must consider when using an apparatus with a very explosive and flammable fuel, I have the feeling that it's as safe as any other type of stove fuel. As with the dual fuel lantern, you can always buy a diesel unit, but this has to be primed, it's messy, releases heavy fumes, diesel leaves oily residue if you spill it, but it's safer of course.

You can also use Coleman fuel (white gas), which is supposed to be cleaner and won't clog the injector on the long run (or at least not as soon as when using unleaded gasoline), but the price is much higher (a one litre bottle would cost you around £4-£5).

The cylinder holds fuel for several hours, depending on the flame output and number of burners. In practical terms, and in my experience, you may get an average of 4 to 5 hours on medium output on a single burner.

In brief, very simple to operate, very effective and powerful, safe and cheap to run. If you camp a lot, get one. If you camp occasionally, maybe gas canisters are a more cost-effective solution.
on 22 April 2016
Like all Coleman stoves, this model is really good. Looks a little complicated to use, reading the instructions, but in fact very easy. Use Coleman fuel or Apex4, which are white gas fuels and everything will work as it should. Very nice flame, easy full control and it is quiet. Build quality is excellent also, so look after it and it will last for years. The burners are not so quick to boil as my 533 model, but no matter, as the two stoves serve different purposes, 533 more for back-packing. My first time I used this stove, it was for coffee, then soon had pan fried fish with boiled new potatoes and peas sorted for a meal. Coleman make a very high quality product at a reasonable cost, with this their family stove. Ok, the smaller of the two burners is a 'slave burner' and cannot be run by itself, but is a very good combination when you actually use it.
These burners run stronger than gas burners and using white gas, run as clean. No soot or smoke or smell. The fuel tank holds more than enough for a meal for the family, then tea afterwards along with hot water for washing up.
The wide Coleman burner gives a flame which spreads out around the pot, rather than concentrated in the centre, giving a nice even heat.
So, we have a here a quality stove, well made, easy to use which should last for years if looked after. Spares, should they be needed, easy to find on the internet and not too expensive. Can't go wrong with a cooking machine like this.
on 3 July 2013
Fantastic,
Exactly as described and well packaged.
I'm very happy with this product and its well made!

Thanks again