on 7 February 2011
I have had a Coleman Stove since I can't remember when. This one is my latest and works very well indeed. I only replaced my old one as this one runs on unleaded and the old one needed pricey Coleman Fuel. Quick to boil, unleaded is much cheaper than any stove fuel on the market and, of course, available anywhere. However, if you are backpacking with this stove the much more expensive Coleman fuel is maybe better as it is almost odour free, which petrol is not. It is very stable in use and can work on uneven surfaces on its three pull out legs. It doesn't leak at all as the filler cap is very well sealed.
The stove has never let me down except when I forgot to oil the primer pump. Then it just wouldn't pump any air into the stove; it won't work unless it is primed by pumping. It needs to be oiled with 3 in 1 one every season and then no worries.
One good thing about Coleman is they do spares so, if the stove gets damaged, it is repairable.
I have to say it is a bit bulky and more so with the plastic storage box. The earlier version was stored in an aluminium box which had a handle and doubled as a saucepan. It was more compact. Therefore, it is not much use for ultra lightweight camping, I suppose. However, it might compare well with carrying a stove and two canisters, which you need, as you can't tell when the gas is going to run out. The Coleman can be filled up before each trip and will last for three or four days without refilling. Even then you could probably get someone to let you have some petrol to fill it up again! For anyone with a car or a bike this stove is undoubtedly the best and most convenient around. It is great for picnics,
As far as filling goes, this can be difficult as the aperture is small and you can't see the level. So get the special Coleman filler funnel which makes it dead easy and prevents any spillage.
A good and rugged piece of outdoor kit which will last a lifetime.
44 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2013
The first stove i received leaked so i returned it. The replacement one had a damaged fuel pipe and took 16 mins to boil a mug of water, so i returned that one too. Coleman need to look at their quality control and the way they package their products. I know that they are good stoves as we have a 2 burner one which is brilliant.
I actually went into our local camping shop and unpacked 6 coleman sportster stoves before i found one that was completely undamaged.
on 19 June 2011
A family member recommended this stove to me after my last gas stove broke on me and I'm glad I took their advice. Used this a few times now and it works perfectly. I tried running it on colemans fuel and normal unleaded petrol. With the colemans fuel you can control the flame down to a tee, but while using unleaded petrol it does have a habit of spluttering for a bit when it first gets going from cold, but this doesn't last to long. The other down side to running it with unleaded petrol is that you don't really get much control over the flame, but as I use this mostly for boiling water it's great.
on 23 November 2015
This is one of those oddities in camping gear that in my opinion is very under rated. It is not the smallest or lightest single burner stove on the market but dont let that put you off!
First of all you dont have to carry extra gas cylinders, it will hold enough fuel to get you through a long weekends camping without drama.
I got mine for motorcycle camping and if I do run out I just syphon a little petrol from my bike and its good to go again.
Although it is a little different from using gas it is still very easy to use, and to me seems more wind resistant than gas.
It is very well built, with quality components.
I have heard people complain about adjustability of the flame on these which can be a problem if you dont allow it time to warm up properly. I find that if you turn it up full when its lit and let it run for 2 or 3 minutes then back off the valve gently it will turn down to a respectable simmer without drama.
If you want a durable and reliable stove that will last a lifetime, this may be the one for you!
on 24 February 2011
I've had one of these for more years than I care to remember, must be knocking on for 15 years or so. It's never failed, always started first time and always had very good adjustability. It's a bit robust for backbacking but a great base camp stove, although I personally have backpacked miles with it, but I was big and strong then!! I have always run it on unleaded fuel and had no problems at all. Because I'm lazy I have never oiled anything or carried out any form of maintainance on it at all. A superb piece of kit and much cheaper than many other offerings. I would buy another one but I don't need to as my current one simply will not go wrong.
on 22 June 2011
I have not used the stove yet as i puchased it for a fishing trip to france next week 25/6/2011 the stove came with a plastic box but no filler which i have seen with some other sellers but for the price i am not complaining . The stove was ordered on the thursday and arrived on the next tuesday [ 3 days working days ] very good service all i hope now i catch some fish and celebrate with a nice cup of tea.
on 1 June 2014
Had one of these for a while years back, (had forgotten how good they are).

As cheap as chips if run on unleaded, very reliable and easy to use.Takes a minute or so to pump up and a minute or so to warm up and bobs your uncle, a nice good flame/heat to cook on, and when the flame dims you just pump a little more. Quite good in high winds, it wont blow out very easily if not at all. Has a little red on/off switch with which you can control the level of the flame and comes in a good sturdy plastic box/carry case.

Only draw back for us is its a little on the bulky heavy side for very light backpacking, but we have and are going to use it for that purpose in future, its far too good and useful.

Highly recommended, cheap if run on unleaded easy to use and quite efficient and useful.
on 3 June 2010
Perfect for its intended use. Purchased as a gift for a fisherman for making a hot cup of tea/coffee or making a 1 pan meal - warming up soup or frying bacon/eggs for a sandwich etc.. Lightweight & compact, came with a carry case. Also ideal for going out for the day to make a hot fresh cuppa, boils very quickly. Dual fuel, we use petrol which is cheaper to run. Highly recommended product..... I purchased the twin burner for my fisherman husband last year and he loves it. We also have the colman pans to go with the stove.
33 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2015
Received this stove today, tried with ASPEN 4 fuel (your local Husqvarna or Jonsered dealer should stock it) which is cleaner than regular unleaded so it should keep your stove running for years (I hope so!) It cost 5 euros per liter, not cheap, but 1 liter should give you around 16-17 hours of cooking time(it says on the box 8.30 hours with full tank, doesn't say if its on low, medium or high). Which is way cheaper than any propane/butane stove running cost. Works like a dream, even boiled some water for a tea in no time. For people struggling to lit this stove up I would recommend to watch a few youtube videos. It is not light or compact for backpacking, so you might consider other options. For car camping or hunting, fishing it is ideal. I'm going camping this weekend, if something will go wrong I will update my review.
The only let down so far - funnel is not included.
Update: Just got back from camping this weekend, have nothing bad to say except maybe with the full tank it lasted about 2-3 hours cooking time with variable flame settings, nowhere near 8 hours. But it was quite a windy day, so a lot of heat was wasted.Even on a high wind it never failed to deliver. Still 5*
on 10 July 2014
Great stove. I use it when camping at Scooter Rallies. I chose it because I'm fed up with carrying gas bottles and I have a plentiful supply of petrol from my scoot when on a rally. Boils a full kettle of water very quickly. the only down sides are that it may be a little bulky for some riders luggage capacity (but doesn't really take up much more room than a gas stove and bottles), and you tend to get stitched up making all your mates cuppas on the Sunday morning because they've all run out of gas.