5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and detailed examination of the Roman Emperors
Phil Grabsky is a masterful documentary maker, his talent in particular is for examintaion of individuals and leading men as seen in his other great series - the great commanders. Grabsky seeks to discuss Roman history by looking at the lives of six Romans - Julius Caesar and then Augustus, Nero, Hadrian, Constantine and Justinian.

The idea is that each one...
Published on 10 Aug. 2008 by Kuma

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless
As soon as the DVD started both my son and I were disappointed - in fact I consider it unbelievable that such thing was being sold.

Ok, I did not pay an extraordinary amount so I just put this down as an add-on to what I have paid for other great DVD's I have purchased through Amazon - I just wish previous reviewers were more honest!

In short, so...
Published on 7 Oct. 2010 by Zen_learner

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and detailed examination of the Roman Emperors, 10 Aug. 2008
This review is from: I, Caesar - The Collection [1997] [DVD] (DVD)

The idea is that each one perhaps offers a different insight into the Empire, Caesar who laid the foundations for Augustus to become the first emperor, Augustus who's political ability and vision underpinned the shape of the empire for most of its existence, Nero as an example of a despot and the downside of the system, Hadrian provides insight into the scale of the Empire and the role of the emperor as a builder and controlling the destiny of the Empire, Constantine provides insight into the rebirth of the Empire and the increasing Christian influence on the Empire, whilst Justinian has been dubbed "the Last Caesar" for his efforts to reconquer the Western Empire.

The series thus works on an episode basis by discussing an individual leader and also on an overall scale by using the different facets of each to create an overall impression of the Roman Empire. Perhaps the only disappointment of this series is that it is only 6 episodes long, and the result is that the discussion is focused on the early empire, covering the first two centuries of the empire and then starting again from over 100 years later. It would have been nice to have looked at a Severan Emperor or even Marcus Aurelius, whilst Diocletian, Constantine's predecessor would have been worth a discussion not least as the only Emperor to ever retire.

That said this is an excellent series which observes high standards and provides a well structured insight into the Roman Empire, making it an essential for any documentary collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and informative series on Rome's great leaders, 24 May 2007
This review is from: I, Caesar - The Collection [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I,Caesar offers a compelling and original insight into the Roman Empire. The film-maker, Phil Grabsky, charts the rise and fall of this fascinating and influential power in this excellent series. I've always been intrigued by how it is the Romans became such an impressive cilivilisation and this film follows their expansion through six incredible leaders, starting with Julius Caesar and following through to Justinian.

The imagery within the series is beautiful and craftfully brings to life this enthralling history. I really loved it, and would highly reccommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, 11 Feb. 2009
This review is from: I, Caesar - The Collection [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I think the real master stroke with this series is the use of the experts' opinions. The historians who have been chosen to contribute were brilliantly selected -they are all great at divulging their knowledge and it's never too dense or boring - far from it. Also, rather than interviews being cut to shreds, the producers have allowed us to hear complete sound bites, not just snippets. As a result, the pace is measured and it's easy to take in the information. Lot's of amazing artefacts and sumptuous locations too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it., 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: I, Caesar - The Collection [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I recall watching this series back in 97 or 98. I thoroughly enjoyed it as it was so informative, and interesting. The format is of professors discussing the key moments of each Caesar, intercut with a rostrum of images, while Brian Cox narrates. Contributions from the likes of Seneca, Cicero, Suetonius et al are also recited by other voice overs.

This series is a great addition for anyone reading about Ancient Rome or as I am the 12 Caesars by Suetonius. The only drawback is the quality of the production which although is ok, is not as good as a BBC made programme. Overall would I recommend it? Absolutely. But...if you're are looking for a live action dramatisation with Russell Crowe strutting his stuff, this is not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars General Introduction, 30 Mar. 2014
G. C. Palmer "Gerry Palmer" (High Wycombe UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Caesar - The Collection [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
A popular TV documentary series with a lot of interviews with leading academics in the area. A good introduction to some of the most powerful and important and interesting Emperors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn a lot!, 24 Jun. 2009
This review is from: I, Caesar - The Collection [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I think this series is a great way to get a good overview of the Roman Empire through the lives of the 6 most famous Emperors. The cinematography is stunning; the narration is easy to follow and the opinions of the experts add a human touch making the history really easy to absorb. Buy it and learn something you didn't know before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for interest and educational value, 11 Jun. 2012
M. Lowe "ML" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Caesar - The Collection [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
Intelligent and informative, without resorting to crass, populist rubbish, so would not be suitable for those looking for lowbrow entertainment rather than fact-based documentary programming. I would like sources to be more frequently accredited / referenced, but that is a minor complaint considering the quality of the programmes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Feb. 2015
Great series, loved it

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless, 7 Oct. 2010
This review is from: I, Caesar - The Collection [1997] [DVD] (DVD)

In short, so everyone can imagine what we are talking about - a voice would narrate very well known facts and the image would be a fixed one - on a statue of say, Caesar, or just any odd statue, or a crappy map. The historical facts are so plain it looks more like a News article were everything has to be told fast and shallow.

In a word - Unbelievable. (To be completely honest we never waited for the DVD to finish - it was unbearable)

I, Caesar - The Collection [1997] [DVD]