4.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously easy to use
Published on 7 Aug 2010 by Kerry

3.0 out of 5 stars Good DIY product
First to correct somebodies "correction" this is NOT a laser measure it is an ultrasonic measuring device but has a laser for you to target, there is a MASSIVE difference between ultrasonic and laser measures.

Published on 1 Jun 2012 by Craigguns

4.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously easy to use, 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: Silverline 255664 Digital Range Measure 0.6 - 15m (DIY & Tools)
This little gadget really is ridiculously easy to use. I was a little wary buying this after reading some of the reviews of ultrasonic measuring devices, but I have to say I'm impressed. I'm a union health and safety officer, and one of the most common complaints I get from our members when I'm doing inspections is that the employer's crammed too many people in one room, and the employees (and I) are suspecting that the room's over-occupied and doesn't meet the minimum space requirements according to the health and safety regulations. In offices packed with desks etc, trying to weave your way between desks, filing cabinets etc. with a tape measure can be very difficult, and just about impossible if you're trying to do it single-handed, but with this little device, it's easy.

PROS
- It really is very easy to use. Even without the aid of the handy little user manual (which really is small, but well written with clear instructions, and isn't pages and pages long with umpteen different translations) it's easy to figure out what the function of the buttons is from the little pictures/text on them. For a basic measurement, point the device at the object you want to measure the distance away from (handily a laser spot shows you what your target is), and press "read", and the measurement pops up on the screen. It's that easy.
- It's very affordable. At under 20, compared to laser measuring devices costing much more, it's cheap enough to be a useful addition to a DIY enthusiast's kit without breaking the bank. Let's face it - unless you're employed in a trade where you're constantly taking measurements, or you're a DIY fanatic, it's not something you're going to be using every day, or even every week, so at this price it's cheap enough to buy for occasional use.
- Not only can you measure a distance between two points, but using its 'area' function you can calculate the area of a room without having to fiddle with your calculator. Even better, for anyone who for whatever reason needs to calculate the volume of a room (as I do, as the minimum space requirements in the health and safety regs are in cubic metres), it'll do that as well, multiplying three measurements to give you a volume - the picture on the screen even tells you which measurement it's waiting for you to determine.
- The device measures from the base of the unit, so you don't have to worry about adding on the length of the device to any measurements
- the device seems to be fairly accurate/consistent. As its instructions recommend, I check measurements twice, just to be sure that it's accurate, and it's fairly consistent
- The ability to measure single-handed

CONS
- There's no on/off button. The device is activated simply by pressing one of the keys, and switches itself off after a few minutes inactivity. It's not really a problem as such, but I initially spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to switch it on
- It's a little larger than I'd expected. Again, it's not really a problem unless you have very small hands
- Ultrasonic measuring devices aren't as accurate as laser measuring devices - with ultrasonic devices it's +/- 50mm over 10m, as opposed to +/- 2mm over any distance for laser measures.

Ultrasonic measuring devices are never going to be as accurate as laser measuring devices, but overall, for the money it's a good buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good DIY product, 1 Jun 2012

The accuracy on this product varies greatly depending on what you are pointing at, point it at a shiny surface and you will get wildly innacurate measurements the majority of attempts. This is a good little tool for a DIYer wanting to quickly measure up how much laminate flooring may be needed and that's about it's limits. This is not an accurate tool and temperature will affect the results too, also do not use it outside and expect even accuracy of +-44mm you probably wont get it, if you need accuracy you need a laser measure and if you're a trades person then shame on you for even looking at this, you need to be looking at the dewalt or bosch laser levels and be paying around 120inc this is not the tool for you and you should be ashamed at yourself for looking.

To sum up, if you are doing up your own house and want approximate results good enough to calculate how much paint, wallpaper, laminate flooring or skirting you will need then the price of this unit will save you more in your time by eliminating your alternative of pen, paper, calculator and the trusty old 8m tape measure.

Lastly I only had this because a rep gave me one as I sell tools, I will be giving it to a friend now I have tried it as it will not replace my dewalt laser measure and my rating is based upon how well it does the job it was designed for against the cost of the unit and not how well it compares to a decent laser measure. It is definitely worth 3 stars and anybody rating lower are expecting too much from such a cheap unit, that's your fault not the tools!

4.0 out of 5 stars Point me in the right direction, 4 Aug 2013
I needed something that would easily measure the garage before designing a new interior with benches and racking system. This arrived with easy to follow instructions and a chunky feel to the item. While not wanting to drop it from a height, for my occasional use, it was at the right price level and with clear readout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the quality................, 8 Aug 2012
IOWBOY - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ok, first things first; this Digital Range Measure cost me 16.27 so the important thing to bear in mind when offering a critique is how this compares with other models in relation to it's price.

This is considerably cheaper than any other digital range measurer I have seen; yes it has quite basic functions, you can measure distance, area and volume - nothing more, nothing less.

It has a maximum distance of 15m, so yes there are models available on the market with, and let's be honest here, quite a considerably higher range.

So you may be wondering why I have given it five stars and then proceeded to point out it's inefficiencies!

Ok, firstly it's a Silverline product; I have developed a respect for this brand, they offer competively priced products that compare favourably (apart from the odd occassion) with those of a a much higher price. Silverline offer guarantees on most of their products, many of the hand tools have a lifetime guarantee; with many of the electrical items having a three year guarantee, this item has such a guarantee (as long as it is registered online within thirty days of purchase).

This shows me they have a confidence in the quality of their products, ask yourself how many electrical items you know of that come with such a long guarantee as standard?! Through some limited research I could find no evidence that any of the other digital distance measurers on the market, and as previously mentioned some are many times more expensive, offer anything close to this length of guarantee.

The unit itself has a nice solid feel about it, although I won't deliberately test this; there are still some sensitive and delicate components inside! It would have been nice to have some sort of pouch or small carry case, but at this price (RRP 24.50) it's a minor quibble.

This device is ideal for someone like me, someone who loves DIY and spends most of his time (and money!) trying to make his home as nice as he can. It is perfectly suitable for doing the sort of measurements required within the home itself, and as long as the distance is no greater than 15m (which my current garden is not) also works just fine exterally. I believe the accuracy range is approximately plus or minus one millimeter per metre, perfectly acceptable for normal DIY work.

Probably the most annoying feature for me is that the device has no actual on or off switch; it is activated by pressing any button, and then turns itself off after a period of time when no button is depressed (approximately twenty seconds). Normally on it's own I would find this slightly annoying, after all how hard can it be to istall an on/off switch!, however I find it particularly strange considering the nature of this device; there will be times that measurements are taken, calculations made, that need to perhaps be written down or transferred somewhere else, and the fact that the unit may automatically shut down before you have had the opportunity to do so could prove to be problematic. To me it just seems a strange oversight by the design team.

I wish to stress however that this ultimately does not detract me from the device; it's plus points far exceed it's negatives.

Another winner from Silverline!

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple and convenient substitute for a tape measure, 21 May 2013
T. Ogden (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Ultrasonic distance finders like this are less accurate than laser devices, and the beam diverges much more quickly, so they are prone to error if the beam passes close to an obstruction. On the other hand, they are a fraction of the price. This device reads to the nearest cm, and from comparison with a tape it seems within that sort of accuracy over a distance of 3 metres or so. I haven't compared it over longer distances. The instructions say that an obstruction within 50 cm of the line of sight may cause an error, but I found I could be within a few cm of the side of a room before the side wall interfered noticeably. The print on the instructions is very small, but that is the only problem I have found so far. I am very pleased with my purchase.
Later: I have now used this to measure throughout a furnished house. It is important to avoid obstructions such as furniture and lighting close to the line of sight. This is more of a problem than accuracy - if you are careful it seems to consistently reproduce tape distances to within a couple of cm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 July 2013
Does exactly what it says on the tin, very pleased. I use it every day whilst measuring up for floor plans

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 26 Jun 2013
Worth it's weight in gold an makes e job of ensuring so much easier. Top value and cannot fault it

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful. Different measurements every time!, 25 Nov 2013
Stuart Brown (Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is pretty bad.

The technology used in this particular measure is not fit for purpose. I went and tried measuring some rooms with my dad and we kept on getting different measurements, based on where the beam was bouncing off.

It ended up that we measured the room with a tape measure, because it was the only way to be certain of the "real" measurements.

Have ended up back on Amazon looking for an electronic measurer that works properly, because this one was a waste of money.

Don't buy this is my honest advice. It is not fit for purpose.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed, 19 Oct 2010
This sonic distance measure is now making its way back to Amazon having stopped working after 2 weeks.
While it did work it was not very good. The laser pointer does not mean that the targetting of the measurement is any good. It picks up reflections off any nearer object, even if they are way off the line you are supposedly measuring along. Hard to know when you are getting accurate measurements.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unsuitable for purpose, 3 July 2009
Billhum (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This item was the first of my many purchases from Amazon which I returned.

It as so inaccurate as to be useless. It is ultrasonic and it seems that for acceptable accuracy a laser device is necessary, at a much greater cost.

The Amazon return process was efficient and polished. I am sorry I had to use it.

Silverline 255664 Digital Range Measure 0.6 - 15m