Price:£11.56+ £3.12 shipping

I bought this item for over £9.00. It arrived on Friday last, very quickly and following on from another person's experience, I wound it up for 3 minutes and placed it into my 7 year old's bedroom, who is a bit frightened of the dark.

He went to bed at 7:30 and whilst it was only functioning with 4 LED's, rahter than the options for 8 or 12 LEDs, at 7:00 this morning, it was still glowing fine. At 8 and 12 LED's it is a bit too bright as a nightlite, but to be honest, this is a camping light, you can read by it fine using 8-12 LEDs but it is not that bright but what do people expect? It would be more than adequate to get undressed by in a tent and would suffice for use by an individual to read by. If on the other hand you are looking for a bright light which will ight up an area say for 8 - 10 people sitting around a table, buy a Coleman lantern at about £50 and produce a bit of carbon!

I would wholeheartedly recommend this light for those people who want a cheap, safe, economic and environmentally friendly lamp with limited but useful ight output. I will try it out next week at my son's scout camp and if it remains as good as it is now, I will buy another.

One last thing, if you don't want to crank the handle like an adolescent for 3 minutes, there is an option of charging it up via a 6v charger,
0Comment|189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2007
Received lantern for my birthday and to be honest had my doubts but don't tell my Mum.(She bought it)Wound it up for the full 3 minutes as instructed and got prepared for a big disapointment. Switched on all 12 LED's and set the stopwatch.Well what can i say 3.5 hours later and it was still going strong. At this point I got bored waiting for it to die switched it off and went to bed. I'd recommend this product to anyone and thats no wind up.
22 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2007
took it camping and wound it loads of times for about 5 mins at a time and the light lasted about 2 mins the died.. in order for it to be bright you need to constanly wind it up like a lunatic all the time.. I used it once and now its used to keep the draft out the tent.. lesson learned with this one !!!
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2007
I bought this lantern as a backup for the lighting at home because we get constant power cuts. I wound up the lantern for the specified time and it was still going after 3 hours. MOST impressed! There is also a 6 volt charging port on mine so if you don't fancy winding up all the time then this might be an alternative but personally I think the winding is fairly non labour intensive.
Overall, very pleased with it.
on 13 October 2011
Where to start! The lantern arrived broken. It wouldn't hold a charge despite attempts to both wind it up and use a charger. It only lit up while it was being wound up and went off straight away. This would be ok if the company (who ignored my first email completely) would have offered an exchange, they rather snottily replied to my second email telling me that i should return it. I tried to do this but the lantern was returned back to me with a note from royail mail saying that despite numerous attempts they could not gain entry to post it to the seller.(It cost me almost £4 postage) I emailed them again to explain that i was unable to return it for these reasons and they yet again ignored me. Please do not give this seller your custom, they do not deserve it.
on 23 November 2007
ive been contemplating a non-battery lamp for a while .. since we had a speight of power cuts. weve already got a rechargeable lamp .. so i checked the options & bought a wind up one. at this stage i must point out that it does have a battery pak! how else is it going to light the LEDS.?
well our one does seem to be brighter whilst winding .. but the small re-chargeable battery pak seemed to work ok as it continued lighting the LEDS for quite a while. i carried out some static tests using my meter on the battery & found no fault at all with the charge. its probably due to the extra voltage needed to charge the battery up in such a short time .. so please dont fret if u think this is a fault.
My opinion of the lantern is that the LEDS .. although bright .. dont omit the same kind of light that of an ordinary torch bulb! when i compare side to side it doesnt score very high .. but on the other hand .. my rechargeable torch lights for 50mins on 4xAA nicads & then thats it! .. so the wind-up lantern has to score very high for all out lighting.
VERDICT. mixed feelings here. im still glad i bought it as the built in nicads can be replaced if they should fail .. if not used for a period of time .. as most rechargeables. the compass works well WHEN detached .. so id give it 4 out of 5.
on 27 August 2008
This is an excellent lamp for camping purposes. Many other reviews have commented that it does not generate a great deal of light. to be honest this is true. However you must remember its purpose. Its designed to be used in the absolute pitch black in the middle of a field in the middle of no where. When your eyes have adjusted to that darkness and you turn this lamp on, it is more than bright enough to light the area!
Very impressed with how it holds a charge, although the winding arm could be slightly improved upon in design.
All in all tho, if you know its purpose, it delivers 100%
on 1 September 2009
We bought two wind up lanterns for our first camping trip - this and the One Earth Wind Up Collapsible Lantern from Blacks, which Amazon list as Ring Eco wind-up lantern flashlight

They are a world apart. This one looked bright in the shop but clearly it was fully charged. Once it went dim then there was no way of getting the full brightness back for more than a minute, despite many minutes of frantic noisy winding.

It worked well as a dim night-light, lasting till morning, although there seemed no noticeable difference between 4, 8 or 12 led settings.

I have a multi voltage charger which I tried on it when I got home at the correct 6V + centre pin setting. An overnight charge did not work, nor could it be run from the charger. However, the charger worked fine on our other light, which helpfully includes a red led charging light and a 'full charge' green led. That one also came with a car charge cable, which we used whilst driving on trips.

Go for the One Earth/Ring brand lantern instead.
on 2 September 2007
Purchased this to go camping with to save on batteries, wish i had not bothered. It only stays bright for 1 minute after winding, then gets very dull very quickly - wast of money IMO.
on 9 April 2010
I can't think what problems people have had with this product. If you expect battery operation light intensity then buy those products. A three minute wind initially,as recommended, produces a night light seemingly for ever on the lowest setting, good light to sort things out in a tent on the medium setting and very good light to read by for the time advised - 20 minutes on the full setting. By buying two you can stagger the winds to maintain a good source of light over a long period of time. On economic grounds much better than battery operated lights. If there is any gripe then it is that three minutes is quite a long time with such a short winder.