5.0 out of 5 stars Appreciate An Artist Performing Outside Their Comfort Zone

Published on 26 July 2007 by Nick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Just...a steady album, 26 July 2007
This review is from: CHICANE / SOMERSAULT (Audio CD)
What can you say about this album? For anyone that knows and respects FFTMC and Behind The Sun, Somersault is a clear departure from the sun drenched chill out sounds of Offshore and the pumping trance epic Saltwater. Like the unreleased Easy To Assemble before it, Somersault it is a slightly confused album with a very euro-pop sound. Whilst it is extremely well produced, the songs just are not strong enough to hold the album up, and nor are they in the typical Chicane style. Whilst all Chicane fans appreciate The Bracegirdle wanting to experiment with pop guitars and drums etc, you cannot help but feel that he cannot really emulate it and have a Chicane sound at the same time.

Overall, slightly dissappointing, and whilst, like another reviewer, I do admit to tapping my foot now and again, the album is such a departure from his style to be comfortable, with most of the songs seeming to be almost hollow sounding.

In truth I probably should give it 2 stars, but as a true Chicane fan it would feel like i was betraying a man that I truly respect.

Go back to your true music style Nick.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Bitter Disappointment, 27 July 2007
Mr. T. Gundry - See all my reviews
This review is from: CHICANE / SOMERSAULT (Audio CD)
I have been waiting for this album for a very long time. FFTMC and Behind the Sun are two of my favourite albums of all time. I was instantly drawn to the poignant melodies, beautifully layered ambience and particularly in the last album, unusual and distinctive vocal peformances with fine lyrics. No body does it better..or used too.

This album manages to retain some of the former Chicane flair, most notably in the characteristically polished production. Gone however, are the ambient instrumental soundscapes, the poignant melodies, and the beautiful and unsual songs that made Chicane such a distinctive act. These have been replaced with a sequence of boring, unforgetable radio friendly euro-pop songs. I imagine this will be very popular with Radio 1 listeners. The female vocal performances have largely been dumped in favour of male vocals, provided by Jack Starks, who at times sounds like one of the Gallagher brothers trying to do a dance mix. I'm not adverse to the use of guitars in dance music, the slightly harder edge to the sound is fine and probably a necessary progression, but the beauty and magic has gone. This is pop music pure and simple. Catchy, Ok to drive too, but bland, souless and ultimately unsatisfying. Which after the two previous master pieces, comes as a very bitter disappointment.

To add insult to injury, the album has 10 tracks - which as radio friendly pop songs are mostly about 4 minutes in length, some less. The glorious 6, 8 and 10 minute anthems of the last album have also disappeared. This really is Chicane Lite! And value for money it isnt.

Frankly, I'm appalled. What have you done Nick? Why have you done this?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Appreciate An Artist Performing Outside Their Comfort Zone, 14 July 2008
This review is from: CHICANE / SOMERSAULT (Audio CD)
I didn't get this as soon as it was released, due to some negative comments from fellow Chicane fans, however how wrong I was. What we have here is a a great album, with some of the tunes admittedly containing some elements of pastiche without falling into the trap of downright plagarism. It's as if Coldplay, Oasis, Radiohead, Travis and more had been 'Chicaned' on several of the tracks, although there are the 'traditional' Chicane mix & sounds more purely expressed in others. 45 minutes of genius, given that it is a teeny bit tangental to Maddening Crowds or Behind the Sun. A worthwhile set, that with repeat play will get into your DNA, just like the previous masterpieces!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album - if you weren't expecting Chicane as we know it., 4 Sep 2007
S. Walsh (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CHICANE / SOMERSAULT (Audio CD)
I have been an absolute Chicane addict for years now and I had so long awaited this album because I was absolutely desperate for my next 'fix'. Chicane is the only music I have that makes me want to burst out of my skin, cry, laugh, love the world and disolve into inexplicable feelings when I listen to it - every time I listen to it!

It's Chicane's outstanding and astounding combination of inspiring and emotive vocals, depths and layers of perfect, thrilling sounds and beauty that makes the music so wonderful and it's THAT Chicane that I needed so desperately but alas, alak, that era seems to have passed (but I certainly hope not!)

I am not discounting that this is a good album, if you had never heard Chicane before, or you weren't searching for that very specific Chicane sound, you'd love it so well done to him for changing his sound - there's nothing wrong with that, but now who should I listen to to get that same feeling?

If anyone can please point me in the direction of an album or artist that is the same type of music as ETA and FFTMC, please please (email me) and let me (and other desperate seekers) know!

2.0 out of 5 stars 'Develop your strengths and not your weaknesses', 26 July 2007
S. Burgoyne (Beds. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CHICANE / SOMERSAULT (Audio CD)
Well, I have listened to the album almost continuously for 2 days now and I cannot make up my mind whether I like it not. One thing for certain its not as good as the first 2 albums Nick has made. I can fully understand any artist trying different styles but short cheesy pop songs produced in a european style is beyond me!! Nick I think you have gone to far. A couple of tracks namely the last one and Arizona Part 2, will not satisfy the listeners of FFTMC. The production is excellent and I do find myself tapping my feet every so often, but I find myself wanting the tracks to be like Chicane and not some European wannabe. Nick do yourself a favor, take a leaf out of BT's music portfoliio and develop your strengths and not your weaknesses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Undoubtably different, but the magic is still there, 24 July 2007
Tony W (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CHICANE / SOMERSAULT (Audio CD)
Anyone reading these reviews will no doubt be expecting something different this time around, and indeed the album offers a new dimension to the Chicane sound. However, we shouldn't feel disapointed at this, because underneath the punchier, rockier edge the atmospheric synth sounds and key changes which made past releases so perfect are still there. I am finding that with each subsequent listen (and there have been many already) the underlying Chicane sound is coming to the fore more and more.

I think Nick has had to change his style due to the changing fashions and fads of the music industry. I rate Far From The Maddening Crowds as the best album of all time, but would it survive today's over commercialised and fragmented music scene? I don't believe it would, despite the musical and technical excellence, because it would not be commercial enough or shift enough units. Indeed, I still find it hard to comprehend that the title remains deleted - a view obviously shared by many people when you see the secondhand prices paid for it. However, both the world and the dance scene have moved on since then and it is natural that the new style has to also.

I think it's right that Chicane don't try and produce another FFTMC, and I see Somersault as a worthy addition to the catalogue. Significant elements of the old soundscapes do exist in the tracks Arizona and Time of your life, but these are balanced by both the commercial releases and edgier vocal tracks. However, the whole sound still has a multi-layered depth we have come to expect.

Welcome back, Nick, its good to have you with us again. I just hope that this time you get the support and success you deserve. A world without Chicane would be much duller place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great driving music, 3 Aug 2007
P. Maguire (Accrington, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CHICANE / SOMERSAULT (Audio CD)
I bought this album immediately I got the prompt from Amazon. It's not like his previous work, but still fabulous. There is not a duff track on the album, track 6 in particular, 'Spirit' sends shivers down my spine. If it wasn't for his previous seminal work, this album would be hailed as outstanding. It must be really disparaging for an artist like Nick to see so many negative reviews (if he ever looked at this website). This is a 'feelgood' album by any standards, especially good for the drive home!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicane...Where Dreams Come True!!..., 22 July 2007
This review is from: CHICANE / SOMERSAULT (Audio CD)
Just a Wonderful new album from Chicane...- Might be the best album in their 10 year long career..!!.-

Be careful not to directly compare this new material with the old Chicane Style!..- Although it is still clearly Chicane, Nick Bracegirdle has come a long way since his last releases...-

From the moment"Stoned in Love" hits your eardrum you will be lifted..above time & place..surrounded by music..Fillede with wonderful melodies, lovely work with the vocals of amongst others Tom Jones & Daniel Tooman.. Mixed with brilliant Lyrics!..-

A must have for Chicane fans and people who love Strong productions and music made of stars...

Chicane...yet very much alive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicane move on - so what?, 28 Aug 2007
This review is from: CHICANE / SOMERSAULT (Audio CD)
Reading some of the reviews below you get the impression some people just expect artists to turn out complete repetitions of previous work. NickB hasnt done that here and good for him. He's produced a more up-tempo, orieneted dance album with some great songs. The whole album is a great listen and some of the songs will go on to be club remix legends (i.e. Far Away From You)

5.0 out of 5 stars The promo version is very different!!!, 22 July 2007
This review is from: CHICANE / SOMERSAULT (Audio CD)
If anyone is listening to the PROMO version of the album then it is not the album that you see above. Anti bootlegging measures have been put in place to avoid the 'Easy to Assemble' fiasco. The tracks have deliberately been mixed incorrectly and have also alternate sounding versions of a track than the final proper release. Most tracks bear NO RESEMBLANCE to the proper release of the album. The proper version is actually more like old chicane and is more dance/chillout orientated.
Just for everyone's info...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

CHICANE / SOMERSAULT
CHICANE / SOMERSAULT by Chicane (Audio CD - 2007)