Format: Audio CD|Change

Great
on 16 December 2014
epic
on 21 June 2007
This is quite different from previous QOTSA offerings, and I must admit to being disappointed on first listen - it seemed far more hurried, cluttery, drum-based, and without any clear direction. Where was the smooth, laconic, pounding groove of the previous albums?

BUT! I did remember that my experience of all of the Queens' previous records is that they were slow-burners, so I persisted; and lo! A few plays later, I noticed there was both melody and depth. Strangely, the tracks that were first to attract me were the dance-oriented, effect-heavy tracks; in fact they reminded me of Blur in their Think Tank phase: I'm Designer, Misfit Love and Battery Acid. Make It Wit Chu isn't quite as smooth as the Desert Sessions version, but still a nice take. Ega Vulgaris is probably my favourite track because of its killer chorus, although it does lack the depth that other QOTSA offerings have had. I didn't particularly like Sick Sick Sick initially, but it's one of those that one day you notice is in your head and you realise you like it.

I won't go into every track, but I think I should say that those that are good are usually very very good, but there are some that are sub-standard: Run Pig Run and River In The Road don't really go anywhere for example, apart from sounding very similar to each other.

It's not as good as Songs For The Deaf, or Lullabies to Paralyze; but it's still a decent record, and the continued desire to develop the sound into different areas should be applauded - it would have been very easy to stick to a format that had served them well prior to this.
on 2 July 2007
If you want an album thats nice and easy and catchy go buy some foo fighters drivel. qotsa ave always been different and ahead of the pack, this album just proves it. this album rules, i'm a designer is the sleaziest track you'll hear, into the hollow, suture up my future, and make it wit chu pace the album superbly, and then there's the radio friendly singles! if you don't like this then fair enough, but its not because qotsa have gone off the boil, they've always been weird. just listen to the heaviness of songs for the deaf, or the end track on rated r, or the enitre of lullabies! not to mention the desert sessions. instead nof churning out the same 4 min rock songs, they've chnaged again, added some weird but wonderful things and grown again! buy this album if you want to be entertained and educated
on 2 July 2007
I have to say I'm a bit surprised by some of the negative reviews below. I read the Uncut review (5 stars) which is very rare in Uncut and decided to buy it (I've got the previous 3 albums) as well. The first three tracks are in my opinion as good as anything QOTSA have done and it's a great opening. The middle section does tail off and theres no doubt it's heavier than some of the previous stuff but tracks 7,8 and 9 it picks up again (I would agree the last track is a filler). I wouldn't agree with Uncut and give this 5 it lacks quality all the way through but in my opinion it's certainly no worse than Lullabies and if you were a fan of that album there's stuff on here well worth listening to.
on 31 December 2014
ok
on 18 June 2007
This is only a short review as most of what needs to be said has been covered by the other reviewers. However, if like me, you were a tad disappointed by Lullabies... this will be a real treat for you. It is the Queens back to their down 'n' dirty best, with driving rhythms that give the songs on this album a real oomph.
on 5 August 2007
This latest offering from QOTSA see's the band, or for that matter frontman Josh Homme take a slightly new direction. Sure the singles '3's & 7's' and 'Sick, Sick, Sick' aren't far removed from the QOTSA that have graced the face of rock for years but the album tracks seem slightly removed from the usual QOTSA experience; this is not to say that the songs have changed beyond recognition. Tracks such as 'I'm Designer' still leap along with the lyrical quirks of Josh Homme while 'Misfit Love' is still typical dark. However, the new direction comes from tracks such as 'Suture Up Your Future' and 'Make It Wit Chu' noticably more melodic and less heavy than the QOTSA many of us know.
So why 4 stars, for me there are 2 duff tracks on this album, 'Run, Pig, Run' and 'River in the Road' which neither seem to follow the more melodic direction, nor are typically 'heavy'. Being trapped halfway between the new and the old QOTSA doesn't do them any favours.
In conclusion, despite these two tracks this is still an enjoyable album with QOTSA refining their sound without sacrificing anything.
on 15 May 2014
I'm a huge fan of Josh Homme since Kyuss, but this was a disappointment. No standout tracks, worst release they've made.
on 6 July 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed this album as it is the darkest album QOTSA have released. I can see why the bad reviews are there as QOTSA earlier albums were not as dark. This is a more mature sound that the band have pumped out and after a few listens it is quite addictive. My advice is to buy this and give it a few listens, or listen to their single sick, sick, sick for an insight of what the album sounds like first. I like this album and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys dark music.