4.0 out of 5 stars "Da best eazy listenin' album in da world. Not.."
It's a bit of a funny one, this... Almost a statement of intent rather than just another album:

As has already been stated numerous times, this is certainly one album that takes a bit of getting used to. If you're just discovering QOTSA this probably isn't a great starting point and even if you're already a bit of a fan it probably won't grab you straight...
Published on 23 Dec 2007 by D. Hall

2.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant
People keep saying that this one will grow on you after a few listens but its still not doing anything for me. Im sure everyone has their own reasons for loving this band and hears different things that appeal to them. For me this is completely lacking in the depth, atmosphere and drama of their previous releases. All their albums are different and tend to have a...
Published on 23 Jun 2007 by Mr. B. W. Alexander

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a grower, 21 Jun 2007
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
This is quite different from previous QOTSA offerings, and I must admit to being disappointed on first listen - it seemed far more hurried, cluttery, drum-based, and without any clear direction. Where was the smooth, laconic, pounding groove of the previous albums?

BUT! I did remember that my experience of all of the Queens' previous records is that they were slow-burners, so I persisted; and lo! A few plays later, I noticed there was both melody and depth. Strangely, the tracks that were first to attract me were the dance-oriented, effect-heavy tracks; in fact they reminded me of Blur in their Think Tank phase: I'm Designer, Misfit Love and Battery Acid. Make It Wit Chu isn't quite as smooth as the Desert Sessions version, but still a nice take. Ega Vulgaris is probably my favourite track because of its killer chorus, although it does lack the depth that other QOTSA offerings have had. I didn't particularly like Sick Sick Sick initially, but it's one of those that one day you notice is in your head and you realise you like it.

I won't go into every track, but I think I should say that those that are good are usually very very good, but there are some that are sub-standard: Run Pig Run and River In The Road don't really go anywhere for example, apart from sounding very similar to each other.

It's not as good as Songs For The Deaf, or Lullabies to Paralyze; but it's still a decent record, and the continued desire to develop the sound into different areas should be applauded - it would have been very easy to stick to a format that had served them well prior to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars misunderstood, 2 July 2007
N. Parsons (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
If you want an album thats nice and easy and catchy go buy some foo fighters drivel. qotsa ave always been different and ahead of the pack, this album just proves it. this album rules, i'm a designer is the sleaziest track you'll hear, into the hollow, suture up my future, and make it wit chu pace the album superbly, and then there's the radio friendly singles! if you don't like this then fair enough, but its not because qotsa have gone off the boil, they've always been weird. just listen to the heaviness of songs for the deaf, or the end track on rated r, or the enitre of lullabies! not to mention the desert sessions. instead nof churning out the same 4 min rock songs, they've chnaged again, added some weird but wonderful things and grown again! buy this album if you want to be entertained and educated

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good QOTSA album, 2 July 2007
A. Perrott (Croydon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
I have to say I'm a bit surprised by some of the negative reviews below. I read the Uncut review (5 stars) which is very rare in Uncut and decided to buy it (I've got the previous 3 albums) as well. The first three tracks are in my opinion as good as anything QOTSA have done and it's a great opening. The middle section does tail off and theres no doubt it's heavier than some of the previous stuff but tracks 7,8 and 9 it picks up again (I would agree the last track is a filler). I wouldn't agree with Uncut and give this 5 it lacks quality all the way through but in my opinion it's certainly no worse than Lullabies and if you were a fan of that album there's stuff on here well worth listening to.

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form, 18 Jun 2007
B. OMALLEY (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
This is only a short review as most of what needs to be said has been covered by the other reviewers. However, if like me, you were a tad disappointed by Lullabies... this will be a real treat for you. It is the Queens back to their down 'n' dirty best, with driving rhythms that give the songs on this album a real oomph.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly Different, 5 Aug 2007
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
This latest offering from QOTSA see's the band, or for that matter frontman Josh Homme take a slightly new direction. Sure the singles '3's & 7's' and 'Sick, Sick, Sick' aren't far removed from the QOTSA that have graced the face of rock for years but the album tracks seem slightly removed from the usual QOTSA experience; this is not to say that the songs have changed beyond recognition. Tracks such as 'I'm Designer' still leap along with the lyrical quirks of Josh Homme while 'Misfit Love' is still typical dark. However, the new direction comes from tracks such as 'Suture Up Your Future' and 'Make It Wit Chu' noticably more melodic and less heavy than the QOTSA many of us know.
So why 4 stars, for me there are 2 duff tracks on this album, 'Run, Pig, Run' and 'River in the Road' which neither seem to follow the more melodic direction, nor are typically 'heavy'. Being trapped halfway between the new and the old QOTSA doesn't do them any favours.
In conclusion, despite these two tracks this is still an enjoyable album with QOTSA refining their sound without sacrificing anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you do not like dark and sickening music then this is not for you!, 6 July 2007
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
I thoroughly enjoyed this album as it is the darkest album QOTSA have released. I can see why the bad reviews are there as QOTSA earlier albums were not as dark. This is a more mature sound that the band have pumped out and after a few listens it is quite addictive. My advice is to buy this and give it a few listens, or listen to their single sick, sick, sick for an insight of what the album sounds like first. I like this album and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys dark music.

4.0 out of 5 stars buy this?, 11 Jun 2007
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
Only heard a few tracks (Era vulgaris, make it wit chu - stands up to the original - and 3s and 7s - rocks) and all good so far. Its probably also a 5 compared with most other recent releases, so the 4 is a kinda holding patern. Its just all the other QOTSA major record company releases have had extras/UK bonus edition things so I'm holding off to see if the same thing happens here (free DVD, CD, bonus tracks etc.), which is a pain as I' m sure its good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Umm...., 3 Jun 2007
Mr. R. Johnstone (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
I can't say I've heard much off of this yet, but this is the FIFTH album , not the fourth; the self-titled "Queens Of The Stone Age", "Rated R", "Songs For The Deaf", "Lullabies To Paralyze" and now "Era Vulgaris". Pedantic ? Oh yes, but I like my reviewers to know what they're talking about...

4.0 out of 5 stars what a talent josh has...but is he really pushing his boundaries??, 19 July 2007
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
I have had this album since it first was released and it still hasn't left my car stereo yet. Perhaps its the finest collection of songs he's written since SFTD. However you do feel something is missing from this album. It's as if Josh has turned on the autopilot and said to himself "I'm choosing not to do anything too challenging on this, just write a few good songs..."

However I am not disappointed with the tracks at all. I'm Designer is a clever, quirky piece that'll have you reaching for the repeat button and Run Pig Run would not be out of place on SFTD. Sick,Sick,Sick, the first single of the album, is a grower and had me hooked by the third or fourth listen and in tracks like Make It Wit'chu perhaps we're seeing a more bluesy side to the QOTSA that's got the traditionalists running for the hills!!

I don't think we'll ever see a SFTD again. I think hindsight has shown that in Josh, Nick, Dave and Mark Lanegan, that particular incarnation of QOTSA was something of a supergroup and that album will probably go down as their best...so don't try and compare this to that little gem. Enjoy the fact that in Josh Homme, we are listening to a man that is one of the most precocious song writing talents of his generation...

...and with that you also know that their next album will sound nothing like this one!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Used cd, 11 Feb 2011
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
Not very satisfied with this purchase. Usually it takes about 4 to 5 days to get an article from the uk, but this one took way longer than that. At least 3 weeks. I knew I was buying an used cd, but again the condition was disapointing.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

Era Vulgaris
Era Vulgaris by Queens Of The Stone Age (Audio CD - 2007)