Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 July 2012
The front cover of this album is what met you every time you walked into a music shop or music section of a department store in the mid to late '70s. Many would stare at this album, browse other records, return to this one, buy it, and walk out. And the main reason they bought it then is because it was cheap to buy, as made possible by Camden Records, who released budget albums at the time. And among the buyers in 1977 were little kids like me with limited pocket money, and non Elvis fans who were willing to spend 99 pence to explore.

The other reason they bought it was that cover - glossy, cartoonish, somewhat garish, and strangely attractive. A 1972 Elvis Presley decked out in a white stage jumpsuit playing his Gibson Dove guitar and disproportionately superimposed onto the middle of an american highway in broad daylight. Bless 'em, but it's what they could come up with to illustrate the album title! But it did the trick, for me anyway - I just couldn't wait for number 22 bus to get me home!

Mid 70's music was about glam, funk, and heavy rock. And that album cover led you to believe you were going to hear contemporary 'kick-ass' tracks, but instead you got two new ballads - SEPARATE WAYS and ALWAYS ON MY MIND. Still, they were brilliant recent hits, and being a budget album you surely couldn't expect it to be crammed with new songs.

The remainder of the album was made up of previously released tracks from the 1960's, albeit great songs. Contained within also was OLD SHEP, an even less fashionable track from the mid 50s. And the entire album lasted about thirty minutes.

These crude methods of selling albums did not do Elvis any favours back then. If anything, they harmed his bigger than life image. But, and in contradiction, they made him accessible to a new and wider audience - and so many of that new audience made up their minds about the artist with these budget albums. You either liked him after listening to it - or didn't. A hit or miss moment.

Still, I am happy to proclaim that I have my original blue label copy in a 'highly-cared for' condition. And I've now added this CD version to my collection. Camden released several of these budget albums but this was one of the better ones in terms of song selection. Though you most likely have these tracks already, you may wish to get this 'legendary' CD just to own a bit of nostalgia.

Tracks: 1.Separate Ways 2.Sentimental Me 3.In My Way 4.I Met Her Today
5.What Now, What Next, Where To 6.Always on My Mind 7.I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell 8.Is It So Strange 9.Forget Me Never 10.Old Shep
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2014
Yeah Nostalgia is something to do with it - I had this album for Christmas with my first ever record player when I was ten years old and I loved it then and I love it now. The first five side is faultless (tracks 1 - 5) and give the album the feel on a kind of concept album - the king singing about lost love. Separate Ways is a wonderful song, in my opinion the best on the record. Of course the big hit was Always on my Mind and Elvis delivers a stunning reading of this song. The only negative point is the inclusion of Old Shep which is crazily out of place.

Now that cover - the 1970's answer to bad Photoshop skills but that matters not one bit, because this is an iconic cover.
on 14 November 2013
iconic album need i say more.. i remember it when it came out on vinyl, just as brilliant on cd.
on 30 December 2015
I bought this for a fiver from another site - so that and the fact that I loved my vinyl copy of this when I was a kid will probably colour my review. The problem is you can have thousands of tracks (as I have) and yet some you have 10-15 times (master, takes and live versions) and others you have missing - and so you have to hunt them down.

From here the missing ones I craved were Sentimental Me and In My Way - which is a little beaut of a ballad.

But probably not one for the casual fan - although, personally, I'd happily pay just for Always On My Mind.
review image
on 13 December 2013
Great album when I bought it on vinyl and still like it as much today.
I bought it for my wife as we liked it when going out together in our teens.
on 11 August 2008
This CD is worth the money when you think of how much this item was when it came out in the 70's. I have been an Elvis fan for over 35 years and always will be. I don't understand why some put this album down.I must say some bonus tracks would have been great. Beleve me there are lot's of CD and Records from around the world with cover's and tracks worst then this.
on 14 April 2008
Yes this album is virtually unlistenable, but as a youth these blue Camden albums were all that many of us could afford. It was the Woolworth experience. Now, as a person with less years in front than behind I absolutely adore wallowing in the nostalgia (6 have been reissued)! Also we shouldn't forget that these are legitimate albums from the 70s discography and therefore essential for the completist (they are not new compilations). My only criticism is that the British versions are not on release; 'US Male' and 'Elvis Sings Hits From His Movies Plus Two Recent Hits' (mad title) both deserve a release - if only for the great sleeves. I also think the sleeve on the UK Separate Ways was better (complete with gas guzzling 70s cars), I give it 4 stars for having the courage to be Kitch!
on 21 September 2015
Well packaged, arrived on time. Just one thing, in one song volume goes down slightly during the song. Bad editing I guess.
on 7 November 2013
It was ready good service and arrived when it said it was my daughter wrap it up as it was Xmas present for her dad
on 13 July 2015
Great cd if you are a fan. Quick delivery.