5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant

Published 16 months ago by D. Savery

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Sep 2008
This review is from: Dremel VersaTip 6 in 1 Heat Tool (DIY & Tools)
This is the best gas blow torch/soldering iron ever, it heats up in less that 30 seconds depending on the bit used, cools down in 10 min and can be used on the smallest jobs like circuit boards jewlery repair or the bigger job's like solderin 10 gauge wire thanks to the extremaly variable gas jet, comfortable handle and easy to use, and the best thing is it last for over an hour used on the smaller flame but it still is very hot, and it fills up easily unlike others, I would recommend this dremel multi tip to anyone and would be the best investment of 30 ever

1.0 out of 5 stars Fatally flawed, 24 April 2013
D. Savery "r3uk" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dremel VersaTip 6 in 1 Heat Tool (DIY & Tools)
It's a shame as this is a really good product, solid, well made, excellent price point, nice presentation and, I thought, a vital addition to my toolbox. Unfortunately there is a catch. A small wire mesh gauze called a catalyst is fitted within the main section of the tip and its job is to trap the gas and raise the temperature. Instead of a flame shooting out of the end, you get controlled heat output which raises the temperature of the tip higher than an uncontrolled flame could manage. The problem is that this mesh breaks down over use and a replacement cannot readily be purchased. I bought my Versatip in November and, as a domestic electrician, used it on various jobs with either the soldering iron tip or the hot air tip. By February I was having trouble lighting it and when it was lit it wasn't getting hot enough to melt solder. Despite using it for work, it hadn't been out of the toolbox every day and I consider my use to have been relatively light. Considering the range of accessories Dremel produce, I was surprised replacement catalysts were hard to come by. The catalyst can be removed by hand and is clearly designed to be changed - and Dremel must be aware that it won't last forever. I e-mailed Dremel product support to ask where I could source a replacement but received no response. I did find one site that sold the catalyst, but the cost was just a few pounds off buying a whole new Versatip. In the end, I reluctantly had to return it to Amazon as it is, in effect, a disposable product as a key part quickly wears out and cannot be easily replaced. Instead I bought an Antex GasCat 75 which, although plastic and not as solid as the Versatip, has a catalyst located in each tip which means they last longer and when the catalyst wears out only the tip needs replacing (replacement tips being readily available). A real shame, and a real let-down by Dremel and their support people. I just don't understand why they don't sell replacement catalysts. I would have bought a pile of them to keep my Versatip going! As it is, I can only award one star to what would otherwise be a five star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have bought it years ago, 20 Feb 2011
K. Alston (Wivenhoe, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dremel VersaTip 6 in 1 Heat Tool (DIY & Tools)
I've been soldering for years, and really pleased with my Weller Electronic iron which I bought over 30 years ago.

Temptation got the better of me, and an instant portable option seemed a necessity.

Not just a soldering iron, (also heat shrink, small brazing, wood etching etc), and although I've only used it for soldering, can only say that I bought it 30 years too late.

Brilliant. No toolbox should be without one.

5.0 out of 5 stars dremel Multi Tip gas soldering iron, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: Dremel VersaTip 6 in 1 Heat Tool (DIY & Tools)
The Dremel Multi tip is a fantastic soldering iron it heats up very quickly and solders like no other soldering iron you can buy,it is the very best product on the market,how many times have you tried to solder with an electric iron only to find out that its not hot enough to melt the old solder or will not resolder an item back on a circuit board this produced i use all the time because we are musicians and need to fix equipment on the move and the Dremel Multi Tip meets our requirements we give this product 10 out of 10.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gauze disintegrated in less than a week, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dremel VersaTip 6 in 1 Heat Tool (DIY & Tools)
Like another reviewer here, I found that this tool was superb but the gauze disintegrated after just a weeks use and cannot be replaced. I was thrilled with my purchase but the iron quickly became unreliable and unable to reach temperatures suitable for soldering 2mm copper wire.
What a shame - I was so pleased to have found a satisfying tool to use...

4.0 out of 5 stars great product, 3 Jun 2012
S. Daykin (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dremel VersaTip 6 in 1 Heat Tool (DIY & Tools)
Great little tool, i purchased it for jewellery making - for soldering my jump rings, does the job perfectly. The only downside was that it didn't come with any flux so i couldn't use it until i got some, and the instructions will absolutely useless as there were hardly any. this was the first time i had soldered, so i was quite relieved to find a video on youtube showing me how to use it, otherwise i wouldn't have had a clue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Product, 18 Oct 2009
F. Cooke (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dremel VersaTip 6 in 1 Heat Tool (DIY & Tools)
Well made and designed product as you would expect from Dremel. Handy tin case for neat storage. I will mainly use it for soldering when mains power is unavailable and probably use the other heads infrequently, but handy to have. Using it to removing paint or varnish from more than a tiny area is a little ambitious for this small tool. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy tool, 4 Feb 2014
D. BAXTER - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dremel VersaTip 6 in 1 Heat Tool (DIY & Tools)
It is a nice tool with many uses. It is not cheap (hence 4 stars) but seems to be reasonable value for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's okay., 11 Dec 2013
D. Xuereb (Swieqi, Malta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dremel VersaTip 6 in 1 Heat Tool (DIY & Tools)
Does a multitude of functions as advertised. Soldering heat fluctuates and this can be a problem with some of the finer jobs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gas leak, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Dremel VersaTip 6 in 1 Heat Tool (DIY & Tools)
The boxed tool set was smartly laid out, but on filling the gas tank, it could be heard hissing until the tank was empty.
The seller service was excellent though and a fast complete refund was obtained

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›