5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty unit - bad birth experience
Published on 18 Jun. 2012 by Henkeseven

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent, 2 Aug. 2009
S. Slucock (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TensCare MamaTENS Digital Maternity Machine for Pain Relief During Labour (Personal Care)
I bought this in preparation for the very recent birth of my little one after we were shown it at an antenatal class. I bought it rather than renting as it was only £10 extra to buy rather than rent and I wanted to know that I had it ready regardless of when I went into labour. The TENS machine was very effective, particularly in the early stages of labour. It's very easy to use and has 3 different programs you can use through labour as your contractions increase. The boost button is also excellent, just remember to switch it back to pulse mode after each contraction or you won't get the benefit of it later! Really pleased I had this with me for my labour.

4.0 out of 5 stars over all very good, 26 May 2009
Over all this tens machine was very good. Fairly straight foward to apply and use, worth noting you need someone else to apply the patchs for you. Pain relief wise it does take the edge off the contractions. Only downside i didn't get much use out of it, may be only 1hr before it really wasn't making a difference

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 5 Jun. 2012
Brilliant product, so glad i got it!! its so powerful I never needed to change to a higher program.I managed to stay at home longer because of it. I would recommend this to anyone who really wants a natural drug free birth. i WILL be using it again next time for sure!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 25 Dec. 2008
AF (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this when it was £29.99 on Amazon which is what you would pay to rent it from Mothercare. It is easy to use and fairly convenient because of the belt clip and and neck cord. I spent the first 40 hours of labour at home (slow contractions) and was really glad I had this to keep me going. I ended up using it (and it alone) for the remaining 9 hours of labour at the hospital too.

It took the edge off the pain and helped me to manage the contractions better. The intensity adjustment button was a bit hard to press (manufacturing defect?) and I used this button a good deal, so I had to keep checking the screen to make sure the intensity had gone up when I'd asked it to, but otherwise it was fine. I would also invest in a spare pack of electrodes because mine kept slipping off the spot and needed readjusting (although they did not lose their effectiveness because of this) and I felt that they should have had better adhesion.

At £19.99 (current price) I'd say this is a great bargain - remember, this is all you'll have while you labour at home and it could take ages!

**Update** Three kids later, the batteries have lasted me through three labours over 72 hours long in total (so far)! I did buy new electrodes for each subsequent child, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well recommended - helped me through first 8 hours, no other pain relief., 21 May 2015
Absolutely brilliant! I went 8 hours from the beginning of contractions to 4cm using only this machine on the 1st level (A) and breathing exercises for pain relief. I continued using the TENS throughout the rest of my labour on the next 2 levels, using the boost along with gas and air. However once I was nearing birth I was using gas and air and was oblivious to the TENS so I can't really comment on how helpful this was during the latter stage. This machine was really easy to use which is ideal as you don't want anything complicated or fiddly demanding your focus during labour. Well recommended!
PS congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope it all goes well for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty unit - bad birth experience, 18 Jun. 2012
I purchased this unit 3 months ahead of giving birth and tested it a couple of times at home. During labour, at around the 3rd hour of labour I put the MAMA TENS machine on and subsequently received electric shocks. Initially my midwife and husband were dubious that it wasn't just some sort of labour pain but after my husband tried it himself he was in no doubt as he shot out of the chair and had to rip the machine off!

I returned the machine to Mama TENS which was subsequently tested as faulty by them. I have received a full refund but no apology or gesture of goodwill for the huge i(additional) discomfort I endured during that part of my labour nor the mental anguish of not being able to follow my birth plan. Too little too late.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab product, 4 Jan. 2013
This is such a Great product which I would highly recommend as it's easy to use & worked for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not have done without this product, 11 April 2010
At first like all, I was reluctant to buy this machine as I knew that I will only use it once and not always does this work on everybody. I was so glad I bought this machine as I don't think I could have done without it. I had my first baby and it managed to relieve a lot of my pain, I used it until it I was 5cm dialated and as hospitals send you home if you are less then 4cm, this helped me relive pain a lot at home, I also ended up using it in hospital too. Great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth giving it a try, 11 Dec. 2011
Emma W (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I used this mahine during both of my labours, and although I couldn't say it took the pain away, it may have relieved it somewhat. I found it helped me to feel as if I was actively doing something to ease the pain (by pressing the boost button or increasing the power). At the very least it gives you something other than labour pain to think about!

The sensation is a bit strange at first, I can only describe it as like lots of little pointy fingers drumming quite hard on your back, verging on prickly. You start on a low level and notch it up a level when you feel it isn't having the same effect any more. I would recommend you read the instructions and familiarise yourself with the buttons and where to position the four electrode pads (they go on your back so you will need someone else to attach them for you) before you go in to labour. I used the supplied lanyard (string) to hang it around my neck during labour, but I found the lanyard kept coming off the little hook it attaches to. You may want to look at attaching it more securely as it was very irritating.

It is drug free so good if you want a natural labour but don't try to attach the electrodes to your skin if you have grease on there (eg massage oils) as you will find they don't stay in place for long. And of course you can't use it in the bath/birth pool. The machine is small and easily portable so even if you are planning to go down the epidural route you can use it at home in the early stages of labour and in the car on the way to hospital (I remember the car journey being particularly uncomfortable).

Replacement pads are available so you can use it for subsequent labours or lend it to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helped!, 16 April 2015
This is an excellent product and helped with my home birth, I didn't even end up using gas and air. Recommend reading instructions before going in to labour to familiarise yourself with how it works, as there are some crucial things that need to be right, eg positioning of pads, when to increase power...