5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Gem
Published on 18 Feb 2008 by A. Turner

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine film, awful quality dvd.
Published 2 months ago by JOHN BRUCE

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Gem, 18 Feb 2008
A. Turner - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
I love US sports movies, and as a big fan of American college football this was a movie I was looking forward to seeing. I was definitely not disappointed, this film is an emotional roller coaster, and I must confess to a good blub at certain points. McConaughey is not a big favourite of mine, but is outstanding as Jack Lengyl, the coach who tries to rebuild the devestated Marshall University football programme. He is a quirky character who provides some light relief, but McConaughey also shows Lengyl was a fine and dedicated coach, David Strathairn is also very good as the University Chancellor who decides to rebuild the football team against the wishes of many. This is a really good film, not just a good sports movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly moving and heartfelt, 12 Nov 2009
Traveller (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
We Are Marsahll is the winner of the Heartland Film Festival's Truly Moving Picture Award. A Truly Moving Picture "...explores the human journey by artistically expressing hope and respect for the positive values of life." Heartland gave that award to this film.

This film is based on a true and tragic story. On November 14th, 1970, the Marshall University football team, football coaches, athletic staff, key alumni, and friends were flying home to Huntington, West Virginia after an away game against East Carolina. Their plane crashed killing all seventy five (75) aboard.

How do a University and a small town of 50,00 people respond to a massive tragedy that affected so many students and town residents? This movie is about their struggle to come to grips with that tragedy.

Without bitter rancor and with humility, some felt the University should start up a new football team and persevere through a long rebuilding process to honor the dead. Others, again without rancor and with humility, believed that starting up a football team would be too painful a reminder of the tragedy.

It was decided to start a new football team immediately and play the next season in 1971. This movie is primarily about the difficulties of the development of the team.

Matthew McConaughey plays the new Head Coach brilliantly and believably. He is a combination of country bumpkin enthusiastic huckster and a wise man. And he does it simply because he believes - "Maybe I can help." He displays courage and perseverance and makes sacrifices with a career move that could throw him out of his beloved profession, head football coaching, forever.

The town and University have to quickly break the Vince Lombardi-like notion that you play the game of football for one reason only - to win. They learn how you play the game matters, and even simply showing up is a kind of victory too.

This is a compelling story well told and very moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Are Marshall, 4 Feb 2010
This review is from: We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of the best movies I've ever seen and related to. After I saw it, I invited some close friends over the next day and made them watch it. It might seem long and some might find it a bit boring but in my opinion a brilliant true story about love, friendship, survival and team spirit does not need timing. I didnt find it a sports movie, I found it one about life in general, and if you come from a small tight town you will relate to it a lot. Definitely worth a watch for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film!!, 2 Aug 2008
Cav (Christchurch, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
This is a pretty straight-forward film that will never win any awards. But a movie doesn't have to win awards to be good. And this is a great example. The story is sweet and touching, and as another reviewer said, induces random moments of blubbing. The characters (for a pleasant change) are all decent, nice people, which helps you love the film even more. I wasn't really expecting much before I watched it, but We Are Marshall is just quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine film, awful quality dvd., 16 April 2014
I really enjoyed this film when it first came out so and i finally got around to buying it. I went for the region 1 version purely because it was less expensive than the UK version. What a mistake. The quality was awful. It was almost vhs quality. The sound was fine but the picture was grainty and pixilated. I was really looking forward to watching the film so i stumped up an extra couple of pounds and watched the film on Amazon Instant. Much better picture quality. I give the film 4 stars and whoever mastered the dvd 0.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
Based on a true story, I found myself drawn into this even though I'm not a great sports movie watcher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible story, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
Disaster followed by the re-birth of hope driven by the human spirit is the base message behind this excellent film of a an incredible true story.

A whole town has its heart ripped out following a plane crash that decimates its football team. The slow and painful rebuilding of the team and as a consequence the town is the story.

Great film,even better because its true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 2 July 2013
This review is from: We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
This movie will make you cry!! This is such a great film, a true story, filled with very good characters and actors portraying them. Its a true story which makes it so much more than just another film about American football.

4.0 out of 5 stars A moving movie, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
This is a moving movie, better than I expected.
I bought it because there is Ian McShane in the cast, but I enjoyed all the story.
I'm very satisfied about both the item and the service.
It's always a pleasure to purchase from you.

5.0 out of 5 stars we are marshall, 1 Aug 2012
This review is from: We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
This film is really good , a true story and you cannot keep your eyes of it.The only thing is the disc was loose when arrived.

We Are Marshall [Blu-ray] [2006] [US Import]