1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars It's no Nightfall...but well worth checking out!, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: King Of The Grey Islands (Bonus Tracks) (Audio CD)
I bought this just a couple of weeks ago, tempted by the low price and also for the purpose of building up my ever growing back catalogue of metal albums, and checking out how they sound with vocalist Robert Lowe. I have been a Candlemass fan since the late eighties since Nightfall - and to me Nightfall has its place in metal history as a really sublime and (almost) perfect album (although Ancient Dreams and Tales of Creation aren't bad albums either). I was really pleasantly surprised when I played this - it flows pretty well and is crushingly heavy in parts, and Robert Lowe does a great job. The 4th track (Of Stars and Smoke) is a monumentously heavy killer with a great chorus too - I just love that song. The rest are pretty good efforts, if not perhaps slightly 'run of the mill' in places at times. I've given this 4 stars as its pretty damn good really and Of Stars and Smoke just kills and rattles your guts with its heaviness; but some slightly dodgy lyrics ('the rainbow is in the sky' etc) and the fact that it is not Nightfall means that I can't give it 5 stars. If you like Candlemass/heavy doom metal this is definitely worth checking out.

King Of The Grey Islands (Bonus Tracks)
King Of The Grey Islands (Bonus Tracks) by Candlemass (Audio CD - 2007)