Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 July 2007
I bought this album after briefly catching "be good or be gone" on the radio. Little did I know then the treat that I had in store for me. This intimate, beautiful and haunting exploration grows on me with each new hearing in a way few other albums ever have. The deep poetry of the lyrics, the superb melodies and arrangements combine to create a tour de force among the new wave of folk singers. I really look forward to Fionn's next release.

I even went so far as to listen to his album on my iPod while walking through Knocksink woods! But, unfortunately, I didn't come across three men selling candles wrapped in newspaper. Good luck in the Mercurys, Fionn!
on 8 June 2007
Lately, I've become increasingly jaded by going to local acoustic nights and seeing semi-talentless people play cover versions of already terrible songs. That's almost a good analysis of the singer/songwriter genre, if we can call it that, because there are a lot of people doing the same thing. So it's nice to find someone like Fionn Regan who not only doesnt concentrate on dour love subject matter so rife with his contemporaries but combines upbeat and thoughtful lyrics with some quite exceptional guitar work.

Album opener 'Be Good Or Be Gone' almost feels like an entire lifetime of thoughts squeezed into one song, centered around gorgeous plucking and melody. Following this is 'The Underwood Typewriter', with some very impressive guitar playing, upbeat proclamations of "The roots shoot deep below the ground, I like to walk with you in the evening" topped off by a beautiful chorus accompanied by a cello. And for the most part, that tends to be the basic plan behind 'The End Of History'; great melodic folk guitar playing with modern selfless lyrics. It's more than enough to satisfy those with a penchant for acoustic troubadours, quirky songwriters or even just decent musical chops.

'The End Of History' stands out in an overpopulated genre as an album full of honesty, integrity, soul and a bit of identity, and that's only a good thing for us because there are surely good things to come from this very promising songwriter.
on 9 June 2010
He may look like a small hobbit peeking out from under a magic toadstall in Harry Potter's back garden, but Fionn Regan is a mighty scene on the modern folk landscape. His voice evokes a young hopeful sitting under a tree and watching the world happening in front of him. His music doesn't usually carry many instruments, but still sounds strangely robust and muscular. Once you've heard it a couple of times, bits of song will haunt your day until it forces you to listen to the whole of 'The End of History' all over again: bits like the charmingly confusing "I'll wear you like a hood" chorus in 'The Underwood Typewriter', the urgently flowing 'Hunter's Map' or the paranoid camp-fire lament 'Black Water Child'. It's surprising what imagery he evokes with basic instruments like the spine-tingling 'Snowy Atlas Mountains' which is as haunting as it is weirdly stark ("My jumper is soaked in pig's blood"?) and sounds like a short film of its title. The lyrics are often muddled and cryptic, but still singable and his meaning is always clear through delivery alone.

It's the details that make this record so strong; it knows exactly when to sound bare bones, and when to fill a room like a flood. And unlike Mumford & Sons' debut, it feels inhabited and never over-polished.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 July 2013
I hadn't even heard the name Fionn Regan until I took a look at my recommendations on the useful music website Last.fm. After listening to the gentle 'Be Good Or Be Gone', which I thought had a beautiful melody, I decided to buy his debut album: 'The End Of History', for that one track, and hopefully a few other good ones. Considering it was released in 2006, I'm not surprised I had never heard of him, because despite his four albums all peaking high in the Irish charts, he has yet to make an impact in the UK - which is a shame.

On the evidence of this one acoustic album, Fionn is a very talented singer-songwriter, and 'The End of History' is a pleasant folk album from start to finish. It's perfect to play in the background, or to listen to closely to be able to really appreciate his natural yet clearly inspired and poetic lyrics. With masterful guitar work, 'The End Of History' is filled with catchy tunes which tell an interesting story. I enjoy 'The Underwood Typewriter' and 'Be Good Or Be Gone' the most, but prefer to listen to the album in full.

If you enjoy good acoustic/folk music - I can recommend this album, which is haunting, sad, and an impressive debut from a hidden Irish talent.
on 7 August 2006
A lot of people have been waiting for this to come out and I've definately been one of them. Fionn Regan has had a strong following since the release of his first single way back in the beginning of the 21st century (sounds like something from Buck Rogers). After a further three EP's his debut player arrives and it is a treasure to behold.

Unlike say Jim Noir, who practically used all of the tracks from his first EP's, Fionn has taken songs from the previous releases but had a go at trying them differently as well as brand new ones. At first it is uncomfortable to hear the likes of 'Abacus', 'Noah: Ghost in the Sheet' and 'Hunter's Map' when you're so used to the originals but with further listens the texture and the additional instruments add something to them. You find yourself singing along despite the change of scenary and it's the strength of the songs and indeed Fionn's voice itself that carry them.

His ability with a guitar and the intimacy of the atmosphere each songs creates is captivating. He will get compared to the likes of Damien Rice and Nick Drake but it doesn't take anything away from what he's created, and that is an excellent debut album.
on 23 May 2011
I HAVE HUNDREDS OF, MAINLY FOLK,INDIE,AMERICANA,WHATEVER ALBUMS..BUT I ALWAYS COME BACK TO THIS ALBUM AS A BENCHMARK.NOTHING HAS TOPPED THIS..I NEVER TIRE OF IT..UNDERWOOD TYPEWRITER,HUNTER`S MAP,ABACUS,FOR ME,ARE TRULY MAGICAL MASTERPIECES.
VINE VOICEon 11 December 2007
As you may have gathered from other reviews ,this is a pretty neat debut from the young Irish singer-songwriter. It's not exactly Blood on the Tracks or Five leaves left but it does what it sets out to do. Wrap the listener in a warm melancholic aural embrace. Sharp guitar playing,workmanlike vocals and decent lyrics and production values.
There's so many singer-songwriters out there at the moment from both sides of the Atlantic. Fionn Regan keeps his head above this often worthy but dull ocean of talent by virtue of his undoubted quality.
on 25 March 2010
This album did nothing for me, unfortunately. Fionn is an excellent guitarist but I found most of the songs not memorable at all. Fionn's voice is decent but not good enough torescue most of the songs.

I'm also not a great fan of Ray Lamontaigne so maybe if you like Ray you'll like Fionn as well!

Be Good or Be Gone is pretty good. Put a Penny in the Slot starts off well but drags on into unsatisfying wordiness. The last track Bunker or Basement isn't bad but has an annoying false ending.
on 3 September 2011
I hadn't listened to this album really since 2007, but, when a friend was fumbling through my iPod and stumbled across this, I couldn't have been happier to hear that familiar plucked guitar and poetic drawl. This is without a shadow of a doubt one of the finest albums of that last decade. It is an album which challenges it's listener to invest some thought - and that is a rare thing. I cannot recommend this highly enough.
on 24 November 2009
I went to see Fionn Regan in Belfast recently and was blown away. I knew nothing about about him - a friend bought me the ticket. From the opening bars, I got a sense of Ryan Adams, Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash - and I love all those guys. I ordered the CD the next day. Brilliant!