on 19 May 2010
After my girlfriend bought me the ludicrous Vulcan machine nerf gun I got hooked on these great toys!

I bought the Maverick as a second defence against my house mates since reloading the ammo belt for the Vulcan takes forever.

It's surprisingly powerful this gun and I've had endless fun chasing people around with it, the only downside is that it's so fun that all my house mates have now bought their own Nerf guns!

Really solid design, nice and sturdy with a satisfying cocking action each time you fire.

You NEED, and I cannot emphasise this enough to buy the extra dart pack! The darts just go missing no matter how hard you try to keep track of them.
on 27 December 2010
I received this gun for christmas and when I played with it I thought it was amazingly fun. If you do get hit by a dart it really doesn't hurt. When I was playing with my mum (who, incidently loves it) with the maverick, she got some darts in the:
glasses (they did not break)
between the eyes (by accident of course)
chin
her fired bullet (whilst in the air)

We enjoyed playing with the gun and the rotating barrel makes it easier to fire than the dart tag pistols. The need to cock the gun after every bullet is simply a 'test of speed' and is also part of the fun! After reading other reviews for other nerf guns, I decided to write this review and when I took it to my dads on boxing day, we all loved it. It is pretty medium ranged I fired mine at about 15 feet in my dads flat (BOOM headshot). Just before I decided to write this review I fired at my wall and it ricochet off the wall, off the ceiling and almost hit the oven behind me! (that was close)

I hope this review has been helpful to you please answer the 'was this review helpful to you?' question below. Thanks for reading!
on 18 October 2010
My son (5) was given one of these as a present. He thought it was great.
My elder son (12) was also very impressed. We have had other guns over the years, and none have been as good as this - easy to load, fires a good distance, and the "bullets" don't disintegrate too fast.
There may be other models that are even better, but they certainly do start getting expensive!
I think this is a good compromise - the boys are happy (yes, bought one for my elder son, so the 2 of them can battle!) and I don't feel I have spent a small fortune.
Have also given to another boy (6) - also thrilled!

Prices seem to be quite similar from all outlets - I guess when something is good, they don't have to discount it too much to get you to buy it.
on 16 October 2009
This is one of the best nerf guns you can buy. The gun is very robust and feels well made. When I first got the gun it kept miss firing on nearly every shot. I was about to send it back until I realized you have to push the darts right into the chambers until the rubber head squashes a bit. Now the gun never miss-fires, unless you turn the barrel and you are in fact firing an empty chamber! The range is better than the Recon 6 by quite a margin. The best bit is that it excepts all dart, including the tag darts. It fires farther on the slimline darts, however the range is better than the recon no matter what dart you use. The gun is easy to load, and never jams, you don't even have to open the barrel to shove more darts in. If I was to go to battle this would be my weapon of choice! I hear the fury fire is better though, and they hold 10 darts! You can buy them as part of the deluxe tag blaster set. That would be my next purchase. For the money though, this can't be beaten
on 29 May 2010
I have four kids, so we have had a large selection of Nerf guns over the years. Recently we ordered three of these guns and I must say they are better than ANY other gun we have ever used by a significant margin. They are more accurate, shoot further are more reliable and easier to load than any of the other models we have ever played with. My problem now is that our battles normally involve five to ten people and EVERYONE wants to grab one of the N-Strike Mavericks. It looks like I will have to buy several more, but will also be able to clear some space by getting rid of the junkier models that are simply frustrating to play with! Per advice from one of the other raters, you do need to make sure you push the darts in firmly as you load to avoid the occasional jam.
on 30 October 2009
I brought two of these guns on a whim a couple of weeks ago, mainly so I was able to ambush my flatmate on his return from work. Since then, Nerf Wars have become an essential part of our evening ritual.

These guns are powerful (but the darts don't hurt), crazily accurate, and have held together well despite being bashed around and dropped by some of my clumsier friends.

If you're a bloke in search of some harmless man-fun, I'd highly recommend getting a couple of these.

Make sure you order some extra darts though - I brought 30 for a few quid extra which was well worth the investment.

Not sure if I'd give one to a kid - playing with these might turn them into a little soldier a bit before their time. Apart from that, 10/10.
on 27 April 2009
I am surprised to find that yes, it does work and entertains my boys aged 4 and 9, and a 13 year old friend is pretty keen on it too... and no, the darts don't seem to hurt even shot at close-ish range. I don't let my kids play with guns but have to say if they are insistent then this one is a good 'halfway' choice. Looks like a space/fantasy gun without the deadly overtones.
on 17 October 2010
A good looking gun that works very well from standard. Do the mods (remove air suppresors, pack the spring etc) and it gets exellent. Shooting the screaming kids has never been so much fun. And it's educational too as they learn how to duck and weave, vital in todays society.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Bought two of these for Christmas as stocking fillers for my young children. Oh, Ok they were really for me.

Seriously though, my kids love them. I am anti real gun myself but don't worry about some bleeding heart liberal telling you kids should not have these guns. These are the modern equivalent of the 'spud gun' but more fun and less messy- an obvious toy that in no way represents a real weapon. They are immense fun and if your kids have a bit of gumption it is great to run around the house firing the soft foam darts at each other and it is totally harmless. It is like 'laser tag' with foam really.

The guns are fine for indoor use.

When we first got them I was a little shocked at just how quickly the darts come out and my wife's initial reaction was not one of happiness. Fortunately, she quickly came around. It looks like the darts can hurt you but they do not harm whatsoever- I have had one in the eye at close range. They are very cleverly designed to have lots of velocity but no mass.

What you do is press a button and the barrel pops out. You then squash a dart into each chamber- six in total. Then you close the barrel, pull back a cocking bit on the top and shoot. You need to pull back the bit on the top to 'reload' the air before firing each dart, but I can shoot them out very quickly!

Sometimes the darts get stuck- normally if not pushed in the chambers far enough when loading.

The spring is quite strong. My six year old daughter can do it. My three year old large and robust boy can just about manage it, but he enjoys being on his sister's 'team', recovering the darts and being shot in the back of the head as I chase after him.

The toy is very strong and well made- surviving being dropped down the stairs etc.

Please note this only works properly with the whistler darts- you will need an extra pack as the six that come with each gun are totally inadequate for any serious 'battles'. Don't buy any other types of dart for it as they will get stuck all the time.

Overall, highly recommended for young and old children alike.
on 27 May 2010
This Nerf N-Strire Maverick is a fun toy to play with and looks cool aswell. Its not powerful and not soft. the accuracy is good but you have to aim it up a bit to hit your target. It goes with the wind on a windy day because the darts are made of foam. It sometimes has a whistling noise when it fires