3,090 Reviews
 (2,456)

5.0 out of 5 stars These do the job
Published on 3 Mar 2010 by D. Betteridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Brita Maxtra 6-pack deal
The Maxtra product is as good as it has always been.

The cost, however, has rocketed. Last November I bought 12 Maxtra cartridges from Amazon for £30, this October there was no offer on 12 so I bought two 6-packs for £44, an increase of over 46% within a year.

Published on 3 Dec 2011 by John of Coulsdon

5.0 out of 5 stars These do the job, 3 Mar 2010
D. Betteridge (Dallas, TX) - See all my reviews
We recently moved to an area of the country that has extremely hard water. I've been using the Brita water filter system here for a year now, and it absolutely does work. There is no trace of hard water deposits in our heavily used kettle, and the water tastes great. If you read and follow the instructions it does not leave little black bits in the water. I use the filter for a good six weeks (rather than the four weeks it calls for) before replacing it, and have still not seen any lime scale. I do a lot of comparison shopping, and Amazon is the cheapest place I have seen to buy them, as well. It is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more foul tasting water for us, 23 Oct 2011
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 3:00 Mins

After years of putting up with foul tasting water, kettles that didn't last for more than a year and tea / coffee with a scummy residue on top I decided to purchase a water filter. We have been using it now for a couple of months and I have noticed a huge difference in the taste of the water, the look of my tea and coffee and also my kettle doesn't seem to be furring up like it used to.

The Brita jug comes with one cartridge and a sensor which tells you when it is time to change it. It suggests four weeks use but the cartridges do say they last for 100 uses which is roughly a jug refill three times a day for the whole month. If you don't use your water jug that much then the cartridge will last a bit longer even if the sensor tells you to change it.

If you have a Brita Maxtra water filter jug then you do need to purchase these Maxtra water filter cartridges, you can't get away with trying to purchase less expensive ones.

These cartridges come in boxes of four or ten with it being more economical to purchase ten. However, the larger box takes up more storage and you need to outlay more money at the start. I tend to go for the boxes of four as I find it hard to purchase items that are going to last ten months and I just plan to buy more when I need them.

Each of the cartridges are individually packaged in the box so they stay fresh until opened which means that it isn't a problem if you do decide to buy the larger pack.

The cartridges easily click into place inside the inner section of the water filter - just remember not to pull off the ring pull part otherwise they will be difficult to remove - I speak from experience here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 7 Sep 2012
This review is from: BRITA Maxtra Water Filter Cartridges - Pack of 6 (Kitchen & Home)
I can feel the difference in water !!! They actually do a great job cleaning the water. At last we got rid of that awful smell and taste of chlorine that our water had!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price value, 31 May 2012
O. Savas - See all my reviews
I bought the 6-pack from Amazon this week for £16, which I believe is a great price for this pack. Price is fluctuating often up and down, pick it up on the right price. 4=pack is also going between £10-14 here, try to catch the £10 mark. All in all, these filters are great, you can see it clearly in the colour of the tea, if not in the taste of water :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes hard water neutral, 18 May 2010
Where I live - Twickenham- the water is very hard (I measured it as having a ph of 8.5 yesterday). This isn't unhealthy as such, but it makes limescale build up in the kettle, and from a gardening point of view makes it difficult for plants to get any nutrients from the water when it's that extreme.

These filters make it a lot better, reducing it to an almost neutral reading of 7.2 - which will make my kettle last much longer. Tea, coffee and food all taste better when using them.

They're meant to last for 30 days according to the literature, but I had one working constantly for 2 months without too much deterioration when I was hard up.

Really worth going to the trouble of purchasing - you'll never go back to straight tap water again!

It will also prolong the life of your water-based kitchen devices like the kettle or the espresso machine if you only use water filtered through the jug first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant!, 25 Feb 2012
I won't go back to drinking regular tap water now that I'm used to the filtered, clean, taste of filtered water. Changing these water filters regularly ensures that I always have a supply of good tasting H2O (yes I can tell the difference!) hence keeping me hydrated throughout the day. Considering each filter lasts around a month, they're rather inexpensive to replace. Wish I'd started drinking filtered water years ago...

5.0 out of 5 stars good value and quality, 28 Dec 2011
Good value when bought in bulk. Since using these in an area that has a lot of limescale I believe these make a difference- I used to have to frequently vinegar treat the kettle (once every 2 months) but have not had to do this once since I started using brita cartridges 9 months ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the best value around and what about the time limit!, 17 Jun 2010
I've used these for years and am pretty sure that you can get a pack of 4 cheaper in most supermarkets, during offers, particularly when you take postage into account.

I love the filters, but I wish, as with other filter types, that somebody had come up with an alternative and cheaper version which could be used in place of the brand name "maxtra," because, for those of us on a low income these are very expensive and it's possible to get cheaper versions of the standard type filters.

Also, I'm not sure about the 4 week time limit.

As a single person, I'm pretty sure I must use substantially less water than a "typical" family of 4, so I'm wondering why there is no suggestion of being able to extend use for another 2 weeks, which I have to admit to doing when times are hard!

3.0 out of 5 stars Brita Maxtra 6-pack deal, 3 Dec 2011
The Maxtra product is as good as it has always been.

But this price is still better than you can usually find on the high street and they do seem to last quite well despite constant use with very hard water. Not just calcium, but our mains water sometimes also has excess chlorine which these filters remove successfully.

I feel these cartridges are still acceptable value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filter this., 7 Jan 2012
One of these filters lasts about 2 months for me living in a country with high lime content in the tap water. I drink at least a litre a day so i reckon thats pretty good going.

Cant realy compare this with other filters as this is my first experience with one but i couldnt reccomend the britta water filter more.

Evrerybody i give a glass of filtered water to can realy notice in comparison to unfiltered water and you can littaraly taste when the filter is full as the difference is huge.