5.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea well executed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Trail Gator, 17 Nov 2007
N. J. Batchelor (Derby, England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar (Misc.)
We bought this so I could take my daughter out for bike rides. It took ages to set this up and fit it but once underway it was fairly easy to control and she really enjoyed herself. Unfortunately the coupling connecting the two bikes managed to work its way loose. This meant she wasn't "following" me and was weaving around behind me. We had to keep stopping to tighten it up. It was rather time consuming. It is a great idea and I don't really want to put anyone off buying it BUT just make sure you have some tools with you just in case this happens to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea well executed, 23 April 2008
Andrew Johnson (Shifnal, Shropshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar (Misc.)
I just fitted a trail gator to my bike and that of my daughter now that she has outgrown our bike trailer - it's just too much of a squeeze with her and her brother on board. I had worried that the single wide tube on the childs bike (A Raleigh Superstar) might prevent it's fitting but the child's "Receiver" will fit up to 105mm which is good because that's just about the width of the tube on her bike. Issues with bolts coming loose seem to have been fixed by using nyloc nuts so it looks like the manufacturer is taking note of comments like this on various websites.

The most fiddly part is fitting the child's receiver, this consists of some long U bolts which can be awkward to do up unless you have some deep sockets or tube spanners otherwise it's a lot of half turns with a spanner. The spacers can be fiddly, but are slotted so you don't have to dismantle the whole thing to adjust the angle of the kids bike.

On the adult's bike fitting is relatively straight forward, the kit also comes with a clip to "Park" the towbar when the child feels like pedaling and this is probably the only part that worries me as it looks a bit flimsy.

Riding is odd to start with unless you are used to a bike trailer, take the instruction manual's advice and ride solo with the kid's bike attached to get the feel of it, if like me, you have used a bike trailer the feel is about the same. With the child on board it takes some getting used to, particularly if they are still using training wheels. Here I advise you run around the block or find some wide and quiet roads for you both to get the feel of it before attempting a more serious journey.

Looking at the comments an addition is required. Take a look at the photo, the point of contact between the adult and child's rear wheel is very long, now bear in mind that the childs front wheel will be some 50mm above the ground and you have a shallow breakover angle. This means trips on tow paths and roads will be OK but you will have to leave those trips through woods etc for a while longer. It will take small humps and on my kids bikes the compression is partially mitigated by front suspension on their bike.

Accesories:

This does not work with fixed training wheels, trail gator do some flip up wheels which seem to do the trick so this is easily fixed. You may also want a mirror to check on your child as turning to check while they're wobbling about is a challenge.

The bar is not easily transferred between bikes due to the fitments although the bar itself uses a QD fitting. Fortunatelly the adult's and clild's receivers can be bought separately from a lot of web based cycle shops so you can easly set up another adult's or childs bike with a tow point if you want to swap the tow bar with your partner or tow different bikes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trailgator, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar (Misc.)
Great product. We've had one for months now and have used it on 4 or 5 trips. After fitting it has worked perfectly and required no further adjustment. I used some thick duct tape on the frame of the child's bike which both protects the frame and provides a key for the clamp so it doesn't move around as some other reviewers have suffered. The instruction that come with it are poor but there's only a few bolts to do up.

The boy loves riding behind daddy's bike and shouts "faster, faster" with encouragement from his mum. He doesn't peddle much himself though. He was on this at 3 1/2 and has never fallen off through falling asleep or forgetting to hold on but you will need to make sure your child is careful. Mine is a petrol-head to be so no problem.

I've used bike trailers (not tag-a-longs) in the past and the trailgator offers much less rolling resistance. You need to allow slightly more clearance to objects you pass than you would solo. As with a traier, I wouldn't use one on a busy road.

Once fitted, the trailgator clips onto the rear stays of the adult bike but cannot be quickly removed so might not be a good choice for those who use their bike solo a lot.

I was expecting it to help to teach balance but having tried it, it will be no help. When I turn right and lean into the corner, the following bike leans outwards which looks strange but the boy doesn't seem to notice unless I turn very tightly. It's not at all dangerous.

Another small negative is that if the childs bike needs stabilisers, these must be removed for the trailgator or the childs bike will ride on one stabiliser wheel and not the main wheels when going around corners. Trailgator do stabilisers that lift up although they are quite pricey.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent solution for the 'between stabilisers and two wheels' bit!, 21 April 2009
Dean Hackett "D&T Teacher Education" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar (Misc.)
Daughter has just turned 5 and is just getting to grips with two wheels. The Gator was dead easy to fit and took about twenty minutes start to finish. Looks really good and is quite substantial, although it adds several kilos to my lightweight mountain bike! Quite easy to remove completely for when I know I'm off-roading on my own.

Having it fitted means that my daughter can cycle during the safe bits, or until she gets tired, at which point it's just a 30 second fitting to make it look like the picture. Easy to tow whilst cycling and for the most part, you could almost forget you have someone attached.

Daughter loves it and the whole setup is secure.

A couple of minor issues to watch out for - some of the larger bumps and even standard kerbs can mean that the front wheel hits the deck. This hasn't caused a problem so far but I'm not sure what would happen if the drop is a bit bigger than you thought! I also discovered that I'd not done the fixing on my daughter's bike quite tight enough (I thought it was fine). After a bit of riding around, I noticed the little bike was sitting at a funny angle, and my daughter was having to twist to hold on. Without a 13mm spanner with us, we ended up walking home as it got worse and scratched the paint off the headstock. Obviously needs to be tight as it's under a lot of torsion when your child leans.

Overall, an excellent buy, much more flexible than child seats and trailers but woth it's weight in gold when little legs get tired. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complicated to fit and dangerous to use!!!, 9 May 2009
M. Hitchcock (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar (Misc.)
I bought the Trail Gator to tow my four year old. The idea seemed to be brilliant, however the reality was not. The bar itself is very complicated to fit and the instructions are not good. I could deal with this however the thing is blatantly dangerous, my son has fallen off three times and I am just glad it was not in busy traffic.

As with a previous reviewer the issue is the u-bolts that attach to the child's bike, on my sons bike (a standard Raleigh child's bike) the u-bolts twist. This has two effects, firstly it scratches the paint work of the child's bike severely and secondly it causes his bike to tip over if he moves his weight to either left or right (children love to lean and see where they are going) this happened three times. The first time I tightened up the bolts (causing more scratches to his bike), that didn't make any difference and he fell of again. I then made a rubber wedge to fit in the u-bolts against his bike stem in the hope that this would stop them slipping. Again no luck!

Don't buy on!!! A good idea but it does not work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trail Gator, 11 Feb 2008
This review is from: New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar (Misc.)
A very good product indeed. Read some reviews regarding the parts coming loose so had it fitted professionally at my local bike shop (they charged £15). Took my son out to the forest at the weekend - we tackled some fairly steep hills and bumpy(ish) tracks - no slipping of the connectors and he throuroughly enjoyed himself! The fact he can ride his own bike until he's tired and then hook to the back of mine if a real selling-point for this product. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent equipment, 3 April 2011
This review is from: New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar (Misc.)
I have used this piece of equipment with all three of my children as they made the transition to cycling on their own.

It can be a bit tricky to set up as it depends on the child's bicycle and the amount of room available on the main post.

It is very flexible as you can tow the child to a park without having to worry about traffic, take if off and allow your child to ride around on their own, and tow the child home again.

I would recommend this to anyone - 4 stars as it can be a bit fiddly to setup depending upon the individual bicycles.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted day out, 15 April 2010
N. Pilkington (Wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar (Misc.)
We bought two of these and were really looking forward to rides with the children. We spent a whole afternoon fitting them - tightly i.e. not worrying about scratching the paint. However within 5 minutes of starting the ride, both of the receiver clasps on the children's bikes started to slip off centre, resulting in the children's bikes leaning over to the side. It would be difficult to imagine how we could secure these any tighter, but will try again. If we have any success I will update this review, but I cannot imagine there will as the design itself appears to be flawed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of kit, 15 April 2011
This review is from: New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar (Misc.)
Good price (very good actually) arrived promptly - no problems at all in that regard.
A bit tricky to fit the bracket to the kids bike (but that might be just me being a muppet!)
Works really well - my son loves it

4.0 out of 5 stars works a treat, 11 April 2011
This review is from: New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar (Misc.)
Took me approx half an hour to fit to mine and my sons bike with no problems. The reviews that mention the bracket comes loose obviously didn't follow the instructions correctly. If fitted as per the instructions and tightened correctly then it will not come loose end of story. My son sat behind my bike quite securely and I didn't really feel he was there while I was moving. When not in use the bracket is easy to remove from your child's bike and stow away on your bike to allow you to keep using it.
The only criticism I have is the bracket that fits to your child's bike will damage the paintwork so I fitted some rubber between the bracket and the frame stem, otherwise it would have been 5 stars.
Good bit of kit.