4.0 out of 5 stars Original Electronica
This is a legendary album in the eyes of the small group of people that have heard it. It was the brainchild of David Voorhaus, a classically trained bassist who dabbled in electronics. He made his own synthesizers (at that time they didn't have keyboards attached), and along with a couple of part-time members whose full time jobs were with the BBC Radiophonics Workshop...
Published on 16 Nov 2002 by michael_m

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd but not moving
Published on 25 Dec 2005 by Crispin Chapman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars from my past, 16 Sep 2007
A. W. Box "AWB" (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Electric Storm (Audio CD)
I have the original album. I used to watch my mates faces when I first played it to them. You could warm your hands on a cold day. Turn off the lights and listen on headphones max volume, you'll end up looking over your shoulder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Six weeks or more, 29 May 2001
Mr. A. Pomeroy (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Electric Storm (Audio CD)
This is quite famous nowadays as an early synth album, although it's actually a diverse collection of hippy-trippy songs with the occasional sound effect. 'My Game of Loving' has an orgy, and both 'Black Mass - An Electrical Storm in Hell' and 'Visitation' (a kind of longer version of 'Leader of the Pack') are *very* late-60s, both of them going on for ten minutes and being very trippy and Pink-Floyd-esque.
'Your Hidden Dreams' is a nice, Beatles-esque song, 'Here Come the Fleas' is a kind of novelty jazz number, and 'Firebird' is astonishingly twee.
The real standout is 'Love Without Sound', however, which is basically trip-hop but from 1968. It's worth noting that the synth noises and so forth on this record were done the hard way, by recording individual notes onto tape and then cutting the tape together as, in 1968, synthesisers were not very good at playing tunes. 'Your Hidden Dreams' has a primitive cut-up percussion break that's a bit drum'n'bassy, whilst 'Visitation' sounds a lot like the alien noises from 'Quatermass and the Pit'.
If you like this, it's worth checking out Joe Meek's 'I Hear a New World', which is similar, a decade older, and a lot less 'heavy'.

4.0 out of 5 stars An old hippy remembers................... Just, 12 April 2006
This review is from: An Electric Storm (Audio CD)
I remember this obviously as a vinyl recording from the times when myself and friends used to go to each others houses to listen to this and other "trippy" music. I recall that we were all pretty freaked out by this although the usual chemically induced paranoia was mostly to blame. That being said, it was undoubtedly one of the most influential records that we listened to as it had the effect of breaking down the barriers (for us) of what we all accepted as the musical "norm". Like it or dislike it, we found that it opened up numerous discussions as to what we each got from it rather than just being "cool" or not so "cool". Though definitely now a period piece and not perhaps musically relevant given that even mainstream euphoria/trance bands regularly produce similarly weird music it still remains an evocative reminder of its time. Always remember to compare this type of music with that which was in the broader market at the time to realise just how very different it was. I'm glad to be able to get my paws on it again and, perhaps revisit a little piece of my history!

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd but not moving, 25 Dec 2005
Crispin Chapman (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Electric Storm (Audio CD)
I purchased this purely out of curiousity, after reading the other reviews. In particular, I was interested in the tracks that were "most frigthening". It was far from it. I call it laughable. Sure, I appreciate the experimental audio technology of 1969 employed here, and from an artistic point of view it is rather creative. Perhaps, if you were already screwed up, prone to paranoia, and were having a really bad LSD trip, "The Black Mass: An Electrical Storm in Hell" will probably push you deeper and darker, but for a sober listener (yes, I did turn the lights off), it was very weak on the scaryiness scale.
Buy it if you already own everything else on the planet and want to explore more. Otherwise, perhaps find a copy to borrow and listen to first.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

An Electric Storm
An Electric Storm by White Noise (Audio CD - 2007)