5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and mum-proof!
Published on 13 Nov. 2007 by sadmuppit

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect
Everything works as specified but...

1. DVD drive is noisy when playing and recording, I can sometimes hear the motor noise over quiet parts in a film which is annoying.
2. The layer change pause on purchased films is very long, much worse than my older Sony DVD player.
3. On screen menus and graphics are not consistent between all features, it...
Published on 6 Jan. 2008 by P. Daniel

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and mum-proof!, 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Panasonic DMR-EZ47 - DVD Recorder & VCR Combination - With 1080P Up-Conversion & Freeview - Black (Electronics)
Superb service from Amazon once again. paid extra to arrive next day and my mum is absolutely thrilled (early Xmas pressie). The DVD recorder is a nice black colour and was so easy to set up compared to many others we have had. I literally connected it up to mums digital LCD using a scart and one RF lead and it automatically installed straight away. Amazing! no tuning required. picture quality from recorded items is superb. I would recommend this unit for anyone, but my mum is so used to using a VCR that it was perfect for her. has all the bells and whistles for digital TV, but she can still use her old Video tapes (as well as DVD when she gets round to it). Perfect combination of old and new!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it and dont be put off by The Instruction Manual, 13 Nov. 2007
When you take receipt of this item you will find enclosed quite a large Instruction Manual. I am definately a Non Techie person but followed the set up instructions and had no problem connecting to my TV Via a Digital TV box. Be patient when software downloads this is a lengthy process but well worth the wait, and it worked well alongside my Top Up TV receiver.
I then played with the remote - without the rule book - and soon got a handle on the basic operations.
Now I am in the process of finding out about all the things that this DMR-EZ47VEB. I have to say it is mind blowing and as yet cannot comment on the advanced options.
It is an excellent peice of equipment - just dont be put off by the manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read the other reviews and bought it......., 24 Nov. 2007
Unpacked, plugged in - it does tuning and the clock automatically - great.
Then took hours to work out why Sky wouldn't work through the unit. Cos the instructions weren't quite right is why!!
My advice is by one of those new single cables, and chuck the scarts out.
Anyway, after sorting that, the thing goes like a train and I love it!!
Recorded my first dvd last night. :-) My first Panasonic buy, and it's great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job very well, possible picture issues, but I have a multitude of scart leads and splitters that could be to blame, 5 Dec. 2008
I'm always pleasantly amused by negative comments regarding this recorder, even from pro critics. This is a DVD and VHS recorder (with built in freeview), simple. It preserves your existing collection of standard DVDs and VHS cassettes, with connections to view camcorders. It upscales your EXISTING standard library to HD if you ave the right TV and HDMI leads, so you don't have to re-buy your collection again in BluRay. So why do some reviewers (admittedly in the US) complain that it doesn't record in HD, that's what a Blu Ray recorder is for!!

I also read negative comments like "I can't copy original VHS films onto DVD", so it gets another negative comment; so why would Panasonic produce a machine that could copy copyright material!!! It's for playback and so means you can still play your old tapes, not necessarily copy them. Of course home made tapes are easily copied at the press of one button.

I read "there's no HDD", so why buy this DVD/VHS recorder then? Buy a higher spec system that costs £100-200 more (if you want DVD, VHS AND HDD)!

You'll also find people saying that the DVD recording from old VHS is as bad as the original VHS, a classic mistake people make when also buying Hi-Fi equipment, a bad signal in means a bad signal out. DVD recording doesn't enhance a poor input signal, it records faithfully what it receives.

In summary, I can only agree with all the positive comments, and smile at some of the negative ones. However, I must agree that there might be some picture quality issues, as even my old Panasonic VHS recorder has a better signal amplifier which brightened the picture more than the DMR EZ47. So I'll need to adjust the TV settings. But, that said, the old VHS had to be left on permanently in order for the signal amplifier to do the job, unlike the DMREZ47.

The signal from my Sky box does suffer from a slightly less sharp picture, but it is going via a scart lead, then into the DMR EZ47, and then through a scart splitter and then another scart lead into the TV (with 640x480 pixel resolution). Perhaps there's so much going on in the box with all the gizmoes that there is signal interference in the machine itself, or I connected everything up badly when I swapped the machines over. But, I cannot truly judge the picture quality unless I am sure my connections are flawless.

Pictures direct from the DVD and VHS are very good however, and as good as any standalone product. If you get jumpy pictures using old VHS, Panasonic suggest you use a manual tracking adjustment which is on the remote control, especially if auto tracking doesn't work immediately.

Also, yes there is some motor noise, but it's like comparing a diesel with petrol, all players make a noise, some noises are just smoother than others. This noise is just less smooth than my Pioneer DVD player which just whines at a higher pitch and is more acceptable in my opinion.

Nevertheless, the machine does the job as described and but the instructions are surprisingly complex, and unless you use it often, some more advanced feature are tricky for the uninitiated. This is not an intuitive piece of kit. The remote is very cluttered, so perhaps that is the major gripe, but the layout is in a typical Panasonic style so previous Panasonic owners will get to grips easily. My 5-year old is able to teach herself the art of playing a DVD, so that's a pretty good endorsement. Just remember to FINALISE every DVD you record, otherwise like some reviewers, the DVD doesn't playback in other machines, oops. Also, VHS still has its merits as the fastest possible means of taping programmes, especially as most DVDs straight out of the cellophane seem to require formatting on the first record, and if your programme is about to start, formatting can take 1-2 minutes, so hats off to VHS in this regard.

Either way, I bought this for the same price as a standalone DVD recorder with Freeview, so the extra VHS is a welcome bonus. I'm very pleased, and at less than £200, it's one of the best on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars You CAN'T transfer transfer your purchased VHS collection to DVD with this, 20 Dec. 2007
Mr. S. Poore (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
Good
* The Freeview digital tuner images are great (no analogue tuner at all - unlike the earlier EZ45 model I bought for my Mum).
* Electronic Program Guide (EPG) can be configured to remember programs for quick start-up (unlike my Humax).
* Video and DVD images are crisp.
* DVD records and plays every option imaginable (+R, -R, +RW, -RW, DL & RAM - RAM is most flexible).
* It's great for copying home video into DVD, either from VHS or direct from your camcorder via a DV socket.

Bad
* Most commercial video is Macrovision encoded and this device deliberately stops you copying them to DVD - even from an external source.
* Menu and Titling options on home burnt DVDs are not as flexible as I'd like.
* No SD Card input which the earlier EZ45 model had.
* Remote control crowded and hard to find all the options.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a couple of grumbles, so far (updated review), 8 Dec. 2007
In most respects it's very good, although not as easy to use as my Philips 3305. I got it because my VCR was clapped out and I want to continue transferring tapes to dvd. It seems well built, with lots of functions (hence the manual of 96 pages, all in English, not various languages!)
One unexpected benefit was the RF leads supplied with it: they've made analogue reception as good as that from Sky. I've fitted an HDMI cable and I reckon the picture's as good as I'm likely to require. An advantage over the Philips is that you're not restricted to nine characters for title names.
Now for my complaint. It's very fussy about discs, the +RW ones that I use, anyway. First you have to format them, which is not required on the Philips. Having done that, the Philips won't recognise them. Then it won't record on the spare space left on the discs recorded on the Philips; if you try to format, you lose what's on there already. So it means keeping the two types separate.
Another peculiarity is that it can divide only RAM recordings. So, if you're using other types, you're stuck with the bits before and after the recording you want to keep. On the Philips I can divide, or split, anywhere and delete the unwanted parts. What's more, the Philips automatically puts in chapter divisions of five minutes' duration; if you want to resume watching a recording after, say, 90 minutes you just go to chapter 18. On the Panasonic you have to fast-forward until you get there.
Regarding other reviews, I haven't heard it starting up on its own in the middle of the night and I can't say whether copies of tapes are worse or better than on other recorders; some of my tapes are 30 years old and have been copied once or twice already. The dvd copies of them may be "unwatchable", but the tapes were, anyway.
My intention is to use the Philips for analogue recording and the Panasonic for tape copying and recording from Sky. (Can't get Freeview here yet.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 6 Jan. 2008
P. Daniel (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Everything works as specified but...

3. On screen menus and graphics are not consistent between all features, it appears Panasonic have thrown together the software from some of their other products into this box.
4. The DTT guide has no search.
5. Remote control could be simpler, several buttons have very similar functions.

2.0 out of 5 stars This machine does not like older VHS tapes, 8 April 2008
Mr. James A. Smith (London UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this machine yesterday to replace the older model of the same, bought just 2 years ago. As with the previous machine, this one does not like older or more used VHS tapes, causing the picture to 'bend' and flicker, and sometimes drop out altogether. On the old machine, it had seemed ot be a developing fault with no cure - part of the reason for replacement. However, the same tapes play perfectly welll on a 10 year old Sharp VHS machine. I consulted the manufacturer who basically said I shouldn't play old tapes on their shiny new machine if I don't want these problems. I work in TV, and the BBC and Channel 4 still have enormous numbers of old VHS tapes in their libraries, so I have no option but to return this machine today, and buy a newer second hand VHS player and a decent separate DVD recorder to replace it. The remote control is also overcrowded and fussy as has been previously pointed out. Sadly, I cannot recommend this machine to anyone wishing to transfer their aging VHS collection to DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality machine , poor instruction booklet and remote ., 13 Oct. 2008
B. E. Littleton (South wales UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this machine recently and find it very good quality both as a DVD player and VHS one. Picture and sound quality are first class and indeed some of my older VHS tapes look fresher on this player . It copies across well and there is no loss of quality . I would have given it 5 stars but the instruction booklet is badly set out and difficult to follow on occasions ( as a tip I reccomend looking at the very last page and going form there it helps a bit ) . The remote is crowded and there are a few buttons which repeat others . Still all in all I bought it for a good picture and sound and there I can highly reccomend it .

1.0 out of 5 stars a let down, 30 Dec. 2010
S. B. Singleton (sheffield) - See all my reviews
i started using this machine a week ago to copy vhs tapes to dvd , and now it is going in for repair as a blank dvd had a fault , ! and the dvd recorder stopped working and now needs resetting, looks like my video to dvd copies are going to be more expensive then i thought . modern technology is rubbish .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›