5.0 out of 5 stars Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAII 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM
Hi
At 10 pence per gigabyte you can't really complain!

I have an existing Seagate drive that is beginning to make unnerving rattling sounds and so I have installed this Caviar drive and activated the backup software that comes free within the Vista control panel to do a daily update copy of all my files.

When the Seagate does finally fall of its...
Published on 23 Feb 2009 by J. K. Groves

1.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade to 500GB drives - had problems
I got 5 of these drives to upgrade capacity on overnight backups. One of the drives failed on it's first backup and I can't do anything with it in Windows Disk Management. The drive is visible but reported as unreadable. It has no drive letter and Windows isn't allowing me to do anything with it, like start again as if it was a fresh drive.

Due to the fact that...
Published on 15 Dec 2009 by A. C. Labels Clouston

4.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Needed, 24 Jan 2010
C. Heath - See all my reviews
This review is from: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAII 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM WD5000AAKS (Personal Computers)
The 500GB Western Digital Hard Drive was just what I needed as a back-up drive.

Arrived as stated and works once formatted.

What more can I say.

Excellent Buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 11 Jan 2010
David Oxley (London, UK) - See all my reviews
On the downside, this was not packaged well at all - only a thin layer of foam to protect the drive while in transit; not even a "fragile" marking on the packaging.

On the upside, the drive installed without any issues, is quiet and hasn't failed in the first 2-3 weeks of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 10 Aug 2009
It has been working well since arrived. After two recently purchased 500G Seagate failed and i lost all my data.There are two things i don't understand: why Seagate only keep its service center in UAS and prevent people sending their drives from the rest of the world because it cost much more then the value of drives;why they are not responsible for retriving data from failed drives which are still in warranty even if it doesn't cost much to do it and push people to spend a futune on retriveing their valuable datas in commercial way. Anyway, i see buying seagate hard drives is wasting you money and making you life in hell.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed nearly instantly, 4 Nov 2010
M. Noakes "Weloi Avala" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Considering how many positive reviews this gets, I can only assume I received a very unlucky unit, or that it got knocked around in delivery or something. Installed easily and worked fine for a day--long enough for me to transfer a number of files to it. Then it died, freezing up my computer until I unplugged the Sata cable. Still plugged into power, it made a strange clicking sound as well. Will obviously return, and will stick with Seagate in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Any old hard drive will do, 12 April 2011
I'm sure that not even SMS speak entitles you to confuse AAKS with AAKX. I just wonder if my reseller(not necesssarily the the one listed today) even looked longer than the nanosecond it should have taken to send out the right hard drive. This is the second time this has happened to me recently with Amazon. The last time I received a laptop hdd instead of the WD My Book I was expecting. By the time I sorted the mix up out, guess what, there were no further My Books at the original price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Good, 21 Sep 2010
A Kid's Review
I have had 3 of these MyBook drives but this will be the last. I have no complaints about the drive itself but the increasingly 'daisy root' software imposed by WD is not only awful but virtually impossible to remove. I won't go into details here but if you want a nice clean drive to use in your own way in your own time then forget this one. I would have returned it but for the considerable investment in time spent in just disabling this software mostly thanks to the postings of people far more knowledgeable and experienced than me. Why in heavens name does WD think that they know exactly how and when each purchaser will want to backup their data and then try to impose compulsory software. They could solve the problem with a simple DELETE software option.... not disable but DELETE.
Disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars ?, 21 Jun 2009
cant review as i orrdered wrong one and sent it back to replace with a right one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard Drive, 15 Oct 2009
S. Alford "Simon" (Sidcup , UK) - See all my reviews
I'm no IT expert , but it seems to be doing what it says on the tin !