4.0 out of 5 stars Old technology but works beautifully
I've recently purchased this stand mixer which is the current cheapest model in this classic brand. Not the newest or the most glamorous kitchen appliance, but instead a simple yet effective design that has stood the test of time.
Published on 4 Mar 2008 by joc66

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly mixed blessings
I indulged in purchasing a Kenwood Chef to mark my 50th birthday prompted by my love of baking and fond memories of my mum's fantastic Kenwood Chefette, a long lasting, well made and very useful device for this single working lady to have.
Published on 27 July 2009 by Jinny

4.0 out of 5 stars Old technology but works beautifully, 4 Mar 2008
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kenwood Chef Classic KM336 in Gloss White with Liquidiser (Kitchen & Home)
This package contains the three basic attachments, the famous 'K' beater (in a non-stick finish) for creaming, rubbing fat into flour, mixing (and I use it for mashing potatoes), balloon whisk for whipping eggs and beating egg whites, and dough hook for making bread. In addition, there is an acrylic liquidiser in the box which connects to the high power connection on the top. This works fine, although I will probably stick with my hand blender most of the time as it creates far less washing up. The stainless steel bowl (which is quite large - a 4oz cake mix will look a bit lost in it!) is easy to clean, as are the 3 basic accessories. A splash guard made of plastic is also included. I found cleaning the liquidiser a bit more of a fuss, but no more so than a food processor. Whilst it is true that you can't put the attachments in the dishwasher, it only takes a moment to wash them by hand.
The Chef is quite noisy in operation - I was quite surprised the first time I switched it on, but it does a very good job of what it does, (better than a do it all food processor) and it is easier to use than a hand mixer, particularly with larger quantities of ingredients. Its motor seems to work well, and even at lower speeds, the chef moves quite quickly. Processes such as making pastry do take rather longer than food processor, but not ages. There is also a pulse setting if you need a bit more control. To give you some ideas about what your chef can do, there is a comprehensive recipe book included, although for some of the recipes you need additional accessories. In reply to an earlier reviewer, the first few times I used my Chef I found that it wasn't mixing properly, but after some slight adjustments to the height of the 'K' beater and balloon whisk, it works beautifully. A pair of pliers or a spanner was needed - it tells you what to do in the instruction book. Quite why they can't send the machines out from the factory properly calibrated is a bit beyond me.
This is a versatile machine - you can get lots of accessories to add on, but they are quite pricey, but out of the box, as a classic stand mixer, this is a very good buy at the current price on Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adjustment is critical..., 7 Dec 2008
David Jones (England) - See all my reviews
I thought I ought to point out - though it's mentioned by others - that proper adjustment is CRITICAL to getting good results. With mine both the dough hook and the K beater had to be wound down 2-3mm - it's all clear in the instructions but you basically loosen the lock-nut, wind the tool down, then tighten up again. Try to get it as close as possible to the bowl without it actually touching (run it empty to check).

Once that's done you find a great improvement - and yes I'd second the comment that they should send them out of the factory properly adjusted!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice suprise, 5 Dec 2010
Simon Temple (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this mixer around four weeks ago and have used it four times. I use a Kitchen Aid mixer at work, the one with the lever to lift the bowl not the tilting head design. For the price of the kitchen aid mixer I feel that the Kenwood is a bargain. The dust guard on the Kenwood fits snugly over the bowl and when adding flour or icing sugar to a mix it doesn't puff out like it does on the Kitchen Aid. Which is a great advantage if you don't have a kitchen porter to clean up after you!

One reviewer complained of having to scrape the side of the bowl to bring the mix into the center and said she would be buying a Kitchen Aid machine. I can tell you that I spend as much time with the Kitchen Aid machine doing this as I have with the Kenwood, so I'm not sure what she is talking about. Also with the Kitchen Aid machine I can't adjust the reach of the tool so I need to lift the bowl as it mixes ensuring the mix at the bottom of the bowl is worked. This surely goes against plenty of Health and Safety rules. But hey, the head chef does it as well,lol.

Yes, you do need to adjust the reach of the tools, but as others have said it is simple and not something to put you off, so don't worry.

The spatula that comes with it is naff so forget it as a bonus.

Another advantage over the Kithcen Aid machine I can see is that the Kenwood machine starts very gently, so if the bowl has icing sugar or flour it won't puff it up into a cloud with a kick of the beater. My Kitchen Aid machine at work does this all the time especialy when I'm mixing sweet pastry, icing sugar and flour so double trouble!

At the price Amazon were selling it at when I bought it (150 give or take a few quid) it is less than half the price of the Kitchen Aid machine before VAT.

Cook well,
Simon

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly mixed blessings, 27 July 2009
I had read the reviews noting the comments of those who said the device was poorly calibrated but that this could be resolved; they were right, at least as far as the K beater is concerned. Properly calibrated, which my K beater wasn't, it is a fantastic component that makes lovely light cakes. At this point I also have to say that the liquidiser attachment is a joy, it takes my memory right back to my mum's kitchen! It is a nifty, tough and very effective device.
Unfortunately there is an "however": the whisk is not so easily calibrated. I am sure it will deal adequaltely with egg whites, as long as enough egg whites are used, but it does not cope very well with batter, leaving loads of flour on the sides of the bowl even after being calibrated to take the mixture off the bottom. A broader design needed perhaps?
Still, all in all, I am quite satisfied and I am pleased to have this creator of lovely light sponges and wonderful sauces on my kitchen surface.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable Classic, 23 Jan 2009
WJ Cook (Ramsey, Cambs) - See all my reviews
After 25 years of excellent service my Kenwood died about six months ago. My dog's fault, she knocked it off the work surface trying to get at the bread dough I'd been mixing. The casing cracked and the top detached from the base. My wife was not amused so I bought another one and repaired the floor tile it smashed when it landed. Virtually the same machine. After adjustment we were back in action.
I have not encountered a better machine for mixing/blending anything, from bread to cakes and all things in between. Five minutes to make perfect bread dough for a 2lb loaf.
As pointed out elsewhere those encountering problems with the mixer need to read the instructions and adjust it until it is OK. One can't legislate for operator error I suppose.
The only problem is I now have a spare blender.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Machine!, 4 Oct 2007
I had a Kenwood Chef ten years ago and I have never looked back. It has been reliable, useful and makes light work of the most tedious kitchen tasks. It makes fabulous light cakes if you mix ingredients as you would by hand but using a very slow speed to fold in the flour. You can't put the beaters in the dishwasher but this is a very small disadvantage. You can buy extra items like graters and slicers and ice cream makers for it and the Kenwood service staff are very helpful if you have a question or want to buy an accessory. All in all a great machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't be without one, 29 July 2009
If you have a large enough kitchen to store a Kenwood then there is absolutely no doubt that this is the best machine for making cakes, bread, pastry and is second to none for whisking egg whites and many other delightful uses. This machine was a replacement for my 40 year old Kenwood Chef - yes it was 40 years old! It had been to several different countries, survived various methods of shipping and removals, had to cope with different power voltages I subjected it to, and still it carried on. No doubt it would have gone on for many more years if it hadn't been dropped on the kitchen floor by someone who shall remain nameless! My new purchase will no doubt see out the rest of my days and can even be handed on down to the next generation. I would have absolutely no hesitation is recommending the Kenwood Chef to anyone.Kenwood Chef Classic KM336 Kitchen Machine, 4.6 Litre, 800 Watts (White/Silver Trim)

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust and versatile, 17 Mar 2009
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I have had one of these for about 20 years and it's still going strong with only one repair in all that time. I really flog my machine as I make things like brioche that takes about an hour to incorporate all the butter or meringues using high speed. What I like about Kenwood appliances is that they don't keep changing the way that attachments fit to their machines and often attachments can be used on more than one machine. I have a Kenwood food processor and this mixer and I can use liquidizers, nut mills, juice extractors on either and I know that if I have to replace either machine all the attachments I collected won't be redundant.
The only thing you have to watch with this mixer is when it's operating at high speed on a slippy worktop it creeps across and can fall on the floor. A small bath mat or a special non-slip mat stops this happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood Chef, 5 April 2009
C. B. Newstead (England) - See all my reviews
Kenwood Chef Classic KM336 Kitchen Machine, 4.6 Litre, 800W (White/Silver Trim)I found this product a brilliant purchase it does exactly what it says on the box & more. I used to think it was easy enough to make pastry, cakes, dough by hand & could not see any reason to use a machine. How wrong was I the Chef makes even the simpliest jobs simpler & your cakes & pastry even lighter. I now cant wait to purchase attachments & broaden my cooking horizons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 19 Jun 2008
I have never owned a Kenwood Chef before and must admit I was a bit dubious after reading the reviews but I am delighted!! A LOT less washing up than my previous food processor and so easy to use. Only one beater which works really well (we did have to adjust it slightly but it wasn't complicated) and now making my husband lots of gluten free bread and cakes.
Incidently the delivery was soooooooooooo fast I couldn't believe it!!