Rock Mr Blues
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£11.93+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 29 May 2010
Wynonie Harris was a turbocharged bridge between post-war r n'b & rock n'roll, peaking in the early 50's with blistering bobbysox anthems like Keep on Churnin' & The Deacon Don't Like It. He made some of my favourite swinging dance tracks & they're all on this unmissable cd, currently selling at the eye-popping price of under £3.
Whoaaaa!
Here's a man who sees life before him and comes up with the songs to suit.
I mean for Godssakes-My baby lies all over me is only kept away from suggestiveness because "lies" isn't spelt "lyes" in the lay down sense!!Bob Dylan did worse didn't he?!
Down boy down-well yes I suppose he could have explained this to the Church by saying it was about training his pet dog.And Keep on churning till the butter comes was "sort of like a song about working in the dairy".I mean this guy was into social comment before it was social comment!
He looks friendly enough-not like those dangerous looking dudes like Leadbelly.However his version of Good Rockin' tonight was a cover of a Roy Brown hit of 1948 so don't blame him for whatever lewdness Brown had in mind.
This man is concerned about whether children are listening who may get ideas so he became Mr Clean Up Man
In fact this is a jolly collection of fun songs
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 January 2015
The Omaha-born Wynonie 'Mr Blues' Harris(1915-1969) was influenced by blues shouters like Jimmy Rushing and Big Joe Turner.
This excellent 30-track compilation draws on his KING & ATCO recordings between 1949 & 1956.
Harris's powerful blues singing on these raucous and risque songs is accompanied by a variety of great musicians with some tremendous saxophone playing.
With over 76 minutes of joyful and entertaining music, 'Rock, Mr Blues' is an ideal introduction to Wynonie Harris.
on 30 January 2015
My father had a 78" of this superb Jazz singer. He was over the moon with this album for his 81st birthday.