5.0 out of 5 stars "I'm a very neat monster."
Here we go again. Another CSI clone. Haven't we seen this all before? Well actually, not quite. There is nothing quite like Dexter.

Dexter Morgan (played by the outstanding Michael C. Hall) is a blood splatter analyst. Dexter is also a serial killer, or occasional killer, who kills the criminals who escape justic by administering some of his own...
Published on 4 Sep 2008 by Dr Stephen Marcus Ogley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea - but poor casting and script undermine it
I'm not going to follow the herd here and say how brilliant this is - because it's just not! I'm giving it 3 stars, or 6 out of 10, which is above average. In my terminology, 3-stars means 'It's OK. It's not bad." It's just that, in my judgement, it's not brilliant, that's all.

I gave it a chance but in the end I thought there was a good idea at its heart but...
Published on 23 April 2009 by OEJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder never looked so good, 30 Dec 2008
Mr. MJ Lawrence (Leicestershire UK) - See all my reviews
And you thought santa had his list...

Okay so you've got your CSI, NCIS and even Midsomer Murders. Now meet Dexter. Okay so its based on the novels by Jeff Lindsay, but this is orignal programming that is frighteningly addictive (and this is from somone who is sqeemish!). Even on missing the pilot episode and watching from episode 2 I still found myself drawn so far into this. At that time I still had'nt got much of a clue what was going on but still, it was erelvent! I was lucky enough to see Season 2 on FX before its realease on to terrestrial tv and it did not disapoint one bit. Im waiting in anticipation at the release of season 3 here in the UK. Untill them do yourself a favour, by this along with the equally good season 2 and have some faith restored in modern day tv writers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, just wow!, 21 Oct 2007
Tea Tango (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dexter: The First Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
This is an amazing show!
The narrating, the direction of the show and characters are amazing.
I haven't been this entertained in years! This goes straight to the top of list! It's fresh and doesn't smell of "knock off of C.S.I".
It would highly recommend this, if you love Sopranos, and even though this doesn't deal with the mob at all its still one of the best shows to hit the screen!

5.0 out of 5 stars America Strikes Again, 3 Dec 2008
Jamie Mccutcheon "The Duffman" (Larkhall, Scotland) - See all my reviews
In recent years with the emergence of shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, 24, The Shield, Lost, Smallville, Brotherhood, Prison Break i hear about yet another American show thats meant to be outstanding. But Dexter isnt outstanding. Its more than outstanding. Its a show which has simply redefined Police dramas. Its a show which over the 1st 2 seasons has just kept on getting better with each episode, leaving you on a cliffhanger on one episode but never letting you down in the next. Dexter is a magnificent character and someone you instantly like but also scares you at his most gruesome nature. A truly great cast with outstanding storylines, outstanding characters and an unnerving ability to keep you hooked from first episode to last. For anyone who is even thinking about giving this show a miss, GET A GRIP. Now for the most important question, How does America keep producing shows to this quality?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Thing On TV?, 17 Aug 2009
Before Dexter was released on DVD, I had only caught a couple of episodes on FX and had thought that the show sounded fairly interesting. However due to my common forgetfulness, I managed to miss virtually every episode.

I then remembered it roughly 12 months later and saw that it was to get a DVD release. In a moment of excitement I pre-ordered it immediately.

Upon it's arrival I put the first disc straight into my DVD player and remained seated until the 3 episodes were finished.

Now I'm not a person who will sit down for more than 2 hours if something doesn't intrigue, or entertain me. Luckily Dexter was proving more than capable of doing both of these things, resulting in me almost immediately watching the next disc.

As it happens, I watched the season in it's entirity in a single Saturday. It is THAT good. None of it feels especially cliche.

The story is of Dexter Morgan, a blood splatter analyst who works for Miami Metro PD, and who also leads a fairly shocking double life. For Dexter is also a serial-killer, but a serial-killer who concentrates his particularly messy judgement on criminals who have escaped their just-desserts.

It is with this plot element that you'll likely find yourself questioning your own morals. Though what Dexter is doing is wrong, you constantly support his actions, because those he reaps are just so much more despicable. Which is a testament to the talents of the writers of the show, and also the fantastic cast.

Michael C. Hall is excellent from the show's beginning, but it would be unfair to single him out because without his supporting cast the show would suffer. Thankfully there isn't a weak act in the show, and if even if you find yourself disliking somebody, it is far more likely as a result of them deliberately acting to make a character unlikable.

From start to finish the series is a treat, I urge anybody to give this a try. It is in my opinion the best thing we've had on the small screen since Mark Frost and David Lynch brought us Twin Peaks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Totally Addictive, 10 Mar 2008
Initially my expectations were low. The premise seemed ludicrous and I assumed the show would be a pale imitation of past productions from HBO. I could not have been more wrong.

Dexter is funny, quirky and engaging. While it may be absurd at times, the show is always engaging. In spite of his murderous tendencies, Dexter is very sympathetic. As well, the other characters are equally compelling. We soon learn that Dexter isn't the only person keeping secrets. No one is exactly who they appear to be. The writing is first rate and the Florida setting is inspired. This production has a highly developed visual sense and will appeal to a broad range of viewers.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huh, 10 May 2008
Is it ok to want a serial killer to "win"?

People who watched this on tv must have felt tortured. I watched all 2 seasons within about 5 days while on holiday, and I can't imagine having had the patience to have had it drip-fed just once a week. It is very, very, *very* compelling. It'll get compared to other things (CSI, Criminal Minds, Silence of the Lambs) and the comparisons are justified, because it has all those facets in it, but where this veers off the standard path is its strength.

There are myriad procedural cop shows; plenty of charismatic serial killers; lots and lots of shows which aren't afraid to show bloody gore... but none of them have a serial killer as protagonist - much less one you're rooting for. Michael C Hall is wholly likeable - he has one of those faces - and his performance is excellent, but it's more than that.

Apparently in the States there has been much controversy surrounding the notion that a serial killer would be portrayed as a sympathetic character. It makes sense: serial killers bad. Were this "real life", the fall out for police institutions would be monumental. But, it *isn't* real life. This is television, where the most extraordinary things occur, and for the hour you're watching Dexter, you'll need to suspend your disbelief a little.

He starts off as almost an automaton. Somewhere along the way, there's a shift, and you see that he does actually have feelings. I'm not sure whether that was done in order to make him slightly more palatable and sympathetic, or whether his emotions are gradually released as his story is told. And his story, his history, is a doozy.

The comedy comes from his voice-over narrative. Dry, sardonic, witty. Everyone in the world - barring one Detective Doakes - sees the mask Dexter has built, but we get to see beyond it. We are allowed into the mind of this man: Dexter the blood spatter analyst will laugh at a joke someone has told; Dexter the serial killer tells us in a monotone voice that he understands the idea of laughing, but doesn't get what it's actually for. Dexter, brother and friend, will respond with an enthusiatic "Yeah!"; Dexter the man who kills people, in his oddly hypnotic voice, says no.

Season 1 focuses on the hunt for "The Ice Truck Killer", and it's a twisty turny thing. The final revelation is outrageously preposterous, but by then, you're hooked and willing to believe anything. It's also wonderfully, wonderfully done. The music where you discover the identity of the killer is perhaps the most effective piece of music I've heard on a tv show. Emotive, haunting strings that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Interestingly, this music is played alongside season 2's closing credits, so it must have proved popular. Not surprising, as it really is an exceptionally beautiful composition.

All the supporting cast are fantastic. It took until the middle of season 2 to not abjectly despise Dexter's sister Debra (Jennifer Carpenter) anymore, and have heard many people say the same, so if she irritates you, give her time: she may grow on you. All the others, though, are superb. Two, in particular, deserve special mention. David Zayas as Detective Angel Batista is an absolute joy. If Dexter were to have a friend, Angel would be the person. He's warm, funny, and has the kindness of a puppy. That someone like him would adore Dexter in some ways gives us permission to, also.

Equally, Julie Benz, as Dexter's girlfriend Rita, is especially wonderful. I've seen her dotted about, but in my head she was, and would always be, Darla. Not anymore. Her performance is understated and deep and if there's one person you're rooting for more than Dexter, it's her. Her two children are equally besotted with Dexter, and if kids like someone, you know they're good.

That seems to be the Hollywood rule: if kids - who see everything - like someone, you know that deep down, they're a good person. And perhaps Dexter is. He has a conscience, he doesn't kill innocent people, his pathology is gradually explained (if not justified) and he's been trained to do what he does. He really is, in many ways, a soldier. Indoctrinated from the age of 3 onwards. You'll catch yourself asking that sometimes: is he a good guy?

The season finale goes some way to answering that question, but maybe the answer is arbitrary. It's certainly the question I'm left with, and think about. That and when oh when oh when is season 3 starting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping original series, 24 Nov 2013
Fantastic series centred around a serial killer who works in law enforcement! Lots of quirky twists and turns served up with a generous helping of dark humour! As each series progresses you can't help but fall for this insatiable killer and find yourself unexpectedly rooting for the bad guy. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 23 Aug 2013
Well presented as a box set and as for the content, the show immediately grabbed my attention and hasn't let go since although the end is nearing with season 8 (the final one) being almost over! The running plot line and character development really work together, and you soon have your favourite character. None of them are weak, they're all excellent and they really develop as the seasons go on. Continue watching, you will not regret it as it's hard to find tv shows like these where the quality remains high!

P.s. Breaking bad is also another definite to watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tv series ever! Michael C Hall is perfect as Dexter!, 26 Jun 2012
I've seen season 1 - 5 and am now watching my season 6 DVD set which I'll review them all and review season 6 once I've completed watching it all!

DEXTER is an absolute genuis, the cast all suit their roles with great perfection. every actor puts on a stunning job at delivering the moments.

I cannot praise the brilliance Michael C Hall delivers - its just a genuis in many great ways. it is very slick and impossible to dislike. how could anyone dislike DEXTER ? I'm a big big big fan of this tv series presented on tvs showtime, Dexter is the best tv show I've ever seen and I've seen some real contenders but Dexter it the one to watch by all means exellent.

I never want this show to end just brilliant stuff. if you aint seen it you really do want to see it!

buy them all 1 - 6 they are just worthy for collecting them all and watching them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO ADDICTIVE, 29 April 2012
Before watching Dexter, I never thought it possible that I could end up finding a serial killer likeable!! The show is well directed and every actor plays their role perfectly. So glad I was introduced to this, i'm hooked!

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›