5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful
Published on 19 Dec 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing!
Stacey Kent has a voice like velvet and her phrasing is comparable only to Sinatra. However, I found "Dreamsville" a disappointment - not because of the wonderful arrangements but rather the selection of tracks, which were ALL slow numbers with no up-tempo tracks to rescue the melancholic mood. Also the wonderful sax playing of Jim Thompson wasn't as evident...
Published on 31 Oct 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful, 19 Dec 2005
This review is from: Dreamsville (Audio CD)
I bought this CD from Stacey at the first gig I saw her at back in May 2002. I seen her nearly a dozen times since. I've since bought all her other albums but I always return to this one. I love jazz ballads and this CD is the most beautifully sung collection I've ever heard. I personally rate it as Stacey's finest recording and I've listened to it hundreds of times. Her voice is absolutely heaven sent and Dave Newton's piano and Colin Oxley's jazz guitar give it a lush and sympathetic accompaniment.
Sit back and luxuriate as Stacey's voice gently and lovingly caresses your ears from the breathy opening of "I've Got A Crush" all way through to the sentimental "Thanks for the memory"
Enjoy with the lights down low and in the company of someone you love.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful!...destined to be an all-time classic, 2 Dec 2000
This review is from: Dreamsville (Audio CD)
Never been a jazz fan until I caught the last 30 seconds of a song from the Dreamsville album on late night Radio 2....my jaw dropped and I was hooked, totally mesmerised by Stacey. The album captures the perfect dreamy and melancholic mood and scores for me because the WHOLE album depicts a similar mood, that is, the mood is not changed by the inclusion of a sudden upbeat number. The pitch, phrasing and particularly the timing is superb, faultless etc, the superlatives could be endless. Impossible to isolate a highlight from the album but if I really had to it would be Violets For My Furs ... Stacey Kent is such a dream that I have to ask myself how could God create such a talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 21 Dec 2000
This review is from: Dreamsville (Audio CD)
Incredible...I bought 'Let Yourself Go' last week, and was doubtful about buying 'Dreamsville' because of the 'ballads' theme. Well...I actually prefer this album now! From the haunting 'Hushabye Mountain' through the upbeat 'Under a Blanket of Blue' to the complex weaving of voice and piano in 'Thanks For The Memory' - this album really is first class. I would gladly take this one and nothing else if I had to go live on a desert island...! I can't compare this CD to anything unfortunately..it is incomparable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just sit back....and relax!, 30 Aug 2001
This review is from: Dreamsville (Audio CD)
If you only ever listen to one more vocalist, make sure Ms Kent is the one! Her voice, presentation, clarity, and emotion are simply, completely............mellifluous! There is no comparison! Whatever you thought smooth vocal jazz may bring to your life, think again! This album, her voice, and the mood are all perfectly brought together - whether it be reading the Sunday papers, or a candlelit dinner, this is the cd that will always be near to hand. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars 12 0ldie ballads with great lyrics sung beautifully, 18 Nov 2000
This review is from: Dreamsville (Audio CD)
Stacey continues to amaze and please me by first, her obvious appreciation of the oldies, obscure tunes as well, and ,second, her inimitable singing style. They just don't write lyrics like that anymore and no one has sung them better than Stacey. Each song has an appealing story which Stacey tells with her usual impeccable phrasing and enunciation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical trip to dreamland, 8 Nov 2000
Therebus (Preston, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamsville (Audio CD)
If you want a truly wonderful musical experience then this is the album for you. With her last recording - Let Yourself Go - Stacey Kent confirmed her membership of elite jazz vocalists. But Dreamsville proves that she is equally at home with good old-fashioned ballads.
What raises Stacey above the rest is her perfect diction and phrasing - every word and syllable is lovingly delivered in Ms Kent's unique style. The result is simply pure magic. I cannot think of any other modern female vocalist who makes you feel that she is singing just for you.
Dreamsville is the perfect tonic for anyone searching for great songs sung by a great artist and backed by five top class musicians.
"Hushabye Mountain" and "Under a Blanket of Blue" are just two of the highlights, and listen out for Colin Oxley's delightful guitar work on the "Dreamsville" track.
You'll want to play this treasure over and over. Dreams can come true!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical voice, enchanting songs a must have CD, 23 Oct 2000
This review is from: Dreamsville (Audio CD)
I have seen Tracey Kent live 3 times; twice at Marble Hill where I competed with nearly 5000 to see and hear her with Humph and the last time ten days ago in a British Legion Hall as part of the Woburn Arts Festival. Each time she was magical. If Diana Krall was the cross-over voice of 1999 then arguably Stacey deserves to be the cross-over voice of the new millennium.
Dreamsville lives up to her live performances; rare on a studio record. Her voice has dynamic range and superb phrasing in numbers one knows well. The only thing that is perhaps missing is her interaction with her band (who are incidentally superb in their own right) and particularly with her husband on tenor sax and flute (a difficult jazz instrument but used here hauntingly on the title track).
As the ads say about lesser products: if you only buy one female Jazz singer CD this year (or as a Chrissie Pressie) then do your hi-fi system and your ears a favour and make it this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and classy, 11 Sep 2007
This review is from: Dreamsville (Audio CD)
I first heard her sing 'Hushabye Mountain' on the radio and thought wow, what a voice. Such pure crystal clear clarity. This is my favourite of her albums as it appears to be of most of the reviewers. You really do not have to like jazz to enjoy this album. Classic great songs performed by a classy singer.

5.0 out of 5 stars On a warm summer evening..., 28 May 2007
Hiro "Tokyoite" (West Hampstead, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamsville (Audio CD)
I have all CDs by Stacey Kent, and cherish them all. However, this CD is my hot favourite.

She had no formal training to be a jazz singer, and she learnt all the techniques by herself. And I think this works extremely well for her style. I'm afraid I am not found of the singers who are blasé about their technique - the singers who sing with the vibe that shouts 'I-am-so-good-at-singing-ain't-I'.

She is modest, and you can tell from her singing that she sings each song only because she loves them.

if you haven't listen to any of her works before, and want to have an album that surrounds you like a pleasant breeze, I think this CD is a good starting point. "Dreamsville" is the sweetest of her all opus.

On a warm summer evening, open the windows, and play this CD. I hope you will enjoy the moment.

Dreamsville [VINYL]
Dreamsville [VINYL] by Stacey Kent (Vinyl - 2008)