5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well
Published on 22 Mar 2010 by Mrs. Patricia D. Cross

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job
No instructions are supplied with this so, if you're a novice or have only ever used the free plastic punch down tools before, you may find this device a bit of a mystery.

There are two pop-out tools from the handle - one is an insertion blade (to help get the wire in before punching down) and the other is a hook (for puling it back out if it goes wrong)...
Published on 3 Mar 2010 by The Happy Space Invader

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 3 Mar 2010
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)

There's a thing that turns in the centre of the handle with 4 positions - two positions seem to lock the spring in place and prevent the shears from operating (not sure why) and the other two positions allow it to operate normally. There's also a metal bar near the blade end which also seems to disable the spring and shears. There may be some scenarios in which these two features suddenly become indispensable, but after wiring up 4 Cat6 outlets, I didn't encounter them.

That's about all I could figure out so anyone with more knowledge, please feel free to fill in the gaps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 22 Mar 2010
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
Actually my husband used this on a DIY phone & ADSL extension. his comments are: "excellent, good quality product, makes the job of connecting wires to those awkward IDC connectors simple. It even cuts off the surplus wire at the same time, Remember, with this tool there is no need to bear the ends of the wire first. A basic instruction leaflet would have been a bonus. Don't know when, if ever I'll need to use it again but it wasn't expensive."

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed..., 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
I'm a telecoms engineer by trade, so I've had many krone tools and have terminated thousands of wires. In my opinion, if you have a good kroner you don't even notice it - it just does the job well, and you drop it back in your tool bag. It's only when you have a bad one that you start noticing it. I'm disappointed to say, I really! noticed this tool during my time with it.

My main gripe is it just doesn't seem to have a good action, I didn't get that satisfying snap that tells you your wire is well terminated. Even worse (and this may be just down to the fact I got a bad item, but still...) the tool fits poorly in the IDC connectors. Meaning after you punch your wire down, in this case badly, and try to remove the kroner, it seems to stick and pulls the wire back out - so not good.

I'd advise someone who just wants to do a home extension to find a cheaper one, as the tool doesn't even need to be that good in that situation. To professionals, id say good luck, maybe you might get a better made one than mine. But if not, I'd say get the red one from mills - I had no problems with that one, it just did the job day in day out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame I wasn't sent a new one....., 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
Took delivery of this purchase today. However, I am somewhat disappointed to have received a dirty and very obviously second-hand product when I ordered and paid for a brand new item. Not impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality IPC tool, 11 Jun 2010
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
Very good quality insertion tool for IPC sockets. Excellent with BT connections and neatly cuts spare cable off. Recommended for extension wiring jobs, as it does it properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars great tool, 5 Nov 2009
D. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
This tool is great, perfect for the job. So easy to use and saves loads of time. Also many times less expensive than my local store.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic product for a affrodable price, 25 Oct 2009
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
I bought this for my business. haven't used it extensively but so far it work very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
Well for those of you wanting to know some instructions for this great tool as none are suplied I thought I would add some basic instrutions in my review. I set up a Cat6 network in my home and found this tool a little complicated at first sight. Yet after researching punch down tools on the web found it very simple and efficient. There are a few settings yet I only found 2 that I needed for installing the cable into the face plates. The first is the sissor action which its used to snip the cable whilst punching the wire down into the socket, to enlighten the non sissor action, this is if you are only running one cable into a twin faceplate, this enables you not to snip the cables on the first punch down and extend the cable into a second fixing on the same face plate. Thus giving you the opportunity to have two working ethernet sockets on a single cable. If you are using four ports from the router or desktop switch yet you are like me having more hardware than ports then this is a great way to utilise the connections. I have a PS3, DLNA tv on just one port cable in the lounge, another PS3 in the dining room with the main PC utilising just one of the other ports totaling two used ports from my router.(By doing this only enables one device i.e the PC or PS3 to used at one time, only having one tv for both I can only access one at a time, Running two cables from the router would gives access to both simultaneously) This leaves two ports free on the router under the stairs, one is now occupied with a Western Digital Live 1TB for all the other hardware to share and back up. I still have one gigabit port free for a later installment yet havent found the need to use it yet. This way I do not need an added port switch to access as much hardware. So this tool works a treat. There is a blade to push the wire into positon and a hook to pull the cable out if needed. If you are wondering to strip the wires then the answer is NO, when the wire is pushed down in the socket there are to connecting blades that pierce the cable for connection. Later I might need to add an unmanaged port switch to my router but up till now this punch down tool has saved me alot. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the cheap plastic tools, 15 May 2011
Andy B (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
I'm no expert at these things but I needed to reconnect an extension phone into a BT socket when I changed to an ADSL faceplate. I tried the cheap plastic tool made for the purpose but did not find it seemed to work very well. So I tried this. True, I agree that it really should have some basic documentation and so it loses a star for that but I did find that by some simple experimentation that I could get it to work (for my BT socket cabling job). But I neither had the need nor the motivation to find out what the various settings did.

To connect an extension wire then you position the tool perpendicular to the connecting block with the wire placed into the numbered slot (can be tricky if the space/cable is tight) so that the V cutter is to the top of the connecting block (where the cable will poke out). Then push down and there is a reassuring noise and sprung feel - a bit like using a stapler. I think the V cutter is supposed to trim the excess cable but I think this depends on the settings. There is a wire clip thing that can be moved up a couple of notches that seems to control the depth that the tool operates to (and maybe also the cutter).

Shame that I now may not have the need to use it again for ages unless I start experimenting with wiring up my own LAN cables as well as using for BT extensions!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
As a telecoms engineer for over 30 years, I can honestly say that, this is the best punchdown tool I have ever owned. Great insertion and cutting action.
Far better than some of the tool obtained through our usual supply route and at a fraction of the cost.

I also purchased a cheaper model from Amazon costing 1.85 to leave in the frame room, as these tend to disappear.
At this price I may order another Draper to keep in the frame room.

The only thing stopping me giving it 5 stars is the fact that the wire removal hook is a little loose and appears out of the side of the tool sometime. Just a minor irritation.

ARRAY(0xa6a5fee8)