5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well
Published on 22 Mar. 2010 by Mrs. Patricia D. Cross

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job
No instructions are supplied with this so, if you're a novice or have only ever used the free plastic punch down tools before, you may find this device a bit of a mystery.

There are two pop-out tools from the handle - one is an insertion blade (to help get the wire in before punching down) and the other is a hook (for puling it back out if it goes wrong)...
Published on 3 Mar. 2010 by The Happy Space Invader

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 3 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)

There's a thing that turns in the centre of the handle with 4 positions - two positions seem to lock the spring in place and prevent the shears from operating (not sure why) and the other two positions allow it to operate normally. There's also a metal bar near the blade end which also seems to disable the spring and shears. There may be some scenarios in which these two features suddenly become indispensable, but after wiring up 4 Cat6 outlets, I didn't encounter them.

That's about all I could figure out so anyone with more knowledge, please feel free to fill in the gaps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed..., 6 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
I'm a telecoms engineer by trade, so I've had many krone tools and have terminated thousands of wires. In my opinion, if you have a good kroner you don't even notice it - it just does the job well, and you drop it back in your tool bag. It's only when you have a bad one that you start noticing it. I'm disappointed to say, I really! noticed this tool during my time with it.

My main gripe is it just doesn't seem to have a good action, I didn't get that satisfying snap that tells you your wire is well terminated. Even worse (and this may be just down to the fact I got a bad item, but still...) the tool fits poorly in the IDC connectors. Meaning after you punch your wire down, in this case badly, and try to remove the kroner, it seems to stick and pulls the wire back out - so not good.

I'd advise someone who just wants to do a home extension to find a cheaper one, as the tool doesn't even need to be that good in that situation. To professionals, id say good luck, maybe you might get a better made one than mine. But if not, I'd say get the red one from mills - I had no problems with that one, it just did the job day in day out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 22 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
Actually my husband used this on a DIY phone & ADSL extension. his comments are: "excellent, good quality product, makes the job of connecting wires to those awkward IDC connectors simple. It even cuts off the surplus wire at the same time, Remember, with this tool there is no need to bear the ends of the wire first. A basic instruction leaflet would have been a bonus. Don't know when, if ever I'll need to use it again but it wasn't expensive."

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the cheap plastic tools, 15 May 2011
Andy (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
I'm no expert at these things but I needed to reconnect an extension phone into a BT socket when I changed to an ADSL faceplate. I tried the cheap plastic tool made for the purpose but did not find it seemed to work very well. So I tried this. True, I agree that it really should have some basic documentation and so it loses a star for that but I did find that by some simple experimentation that I could get it to work (for my BT socket cabling job). But I neither had the need nor the motivation to find out what the various settings did.

To connect an extension wire then you position the tool perpendicular to the connecting block with the wire placed into the numbered slot (can be tricky if the space/cable is tight) so that the V cutter is to the top of the connecting block (where the cable will poke out). Then push down and there is a reassuring noise and sprung feel - a bit like using a stapler. I think the V cutter is supposed to trim the excess cable but I think this depends on the settings. There is a wire clip thing that can be moved up a couple of notches that seems to control the depth that the tool operates to (and maybe also the cutter).

Shame that I now may not have the need to use it again for ages unless I start experimenting with wiring up my own LAN cables as well as using for BT extensions!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
As a telecoms engineer for over 30 years, I can honestly say that, this is the best punchdown tool I have ever owned. Great insertion and cutting action.
Far better than some of the tool obtained through our usual supply route and at a fraction of the cost.

I also purchased a cheaper model from Amazon costing £1.85 to leave in the frame room, as these tend to disappear.
At this price I may order another Draper to keep in the frame room.

The only thing stopping me giving it 5 stars is the fact that the wire removal hook is a little loose and appears out of the side of the tool sometime. Just a minor irritation.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic product for a affrodable price, 25 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
I bought this for my business. haven't used it extensively but so far it work very well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame I wasn't sent a new one....., 2 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
Took delivery of this purchase today. However, I am somewhat disappointed to have received a dirty and very obviously second-hand product when I ordered and paid for a brand new item. Not impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality IPC tool, 11 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
Very good quality insertion tool for IPC sockets. Excellent with BT connections and neatly cuts spare cable off. Recommended for extension wiring jobs, as it does it properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars great tool, 5 Nov. 2009
D. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
This tool is great, perfect for the job. So easy to use and saves loads of time. Also many times less expensive than my local store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tool, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool (DIY & Tools)
Lack of any type on instructions was a bit of a pain. Actually finding decent info for punch-down tools on the net was surprisingly time consuming.

However actually using the tool is simple and it worked flawlessly for the small job I needed it for. It seems well built and should last longer than I will ever need it for.

Draper 40417 Punch-Down Tool