4.0 out of 5 stars A great soap that lathers well
Published 21 months ago by Mr. S. King

3.0 out of 5 stars Soap Opera
Bought a badger brush so needed some shaving soap to complete the package & this seemed like a great choice.

Only negative I suppose is that the sandalwood scent is not particularly strong in fact i'ts almost non existant.
Published 3 months ago by Oldbikerboy

4.0 out of 5 stars A great soap that lathers well, 17 July 2012
Mr. S. King - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood Shave Soap in Wooden Bowl 100g (Personal Care)
I've used a few shaving soaps over the last 7 months since I've converted to proper shaving but this is my favourite. It lathers well with minimum effort and I've barely got rid of the logo that's etched in to the top of the block. The wooden bowl is a nice tactile touch in this modern world of plastic. My only complain is the 'sandalwood' element of its fragrance is fairly minimal compared to some sandalwood shaving creams but they only last around five minutes. I fully expect to still be using this in 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 7 May 2013
This isn't a particularly cheap product. But it's so very worth the money.

First off it smells amazing. I have several Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood scented things and I feel so damned manly it hurts. Secondly, it'll last a long time. A very long time, I think, given how my uses so far appear to have made little to no difference to the surface of the soap. Third, you get a wooden bowl! Now I have no idea what the quality of the bowl is like, but it feels so upper class to be marauding around my flat with a wooden bowl of shaving soap.

A good product, worth the money and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Success!, 22 April 2013
BridgetFM (Birmingham, W Mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought for so and approved by daughter in law. Delicious smell, lots of foam and a great success all round.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned shave, 19 April 2013
I hate those cans of foam which cover your fingers with gunk. Have tried Nivea tubes but this traditional shave soap keeps your hands clean, good foam [with a decent brush] and great smell. On a negative side, the soap level has not moved in two months, so may last several years before I can try the refill I bought at the same time. No need to buy a refill until you have to. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, 14 April 2013
This product is a great idea, and it looks great, my husbands shaving soap fits great in it, what more can i say :)

5.0 out of 5 stars shave soap, 18 Mar 2013
it makes a very thick and creamy lather ,leaves the skin soft and smooth its the best soap that I have tried in many a long year

4.0 out of 5 stars xmas pressie, 30 Jan 2013
a great pressie for the guys who seem to have everything, a good stocking filler, with shaving brush too added,

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 Dec 2012
Lathers very nicely, smells goooood. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys a good shave the old school way. Pretty good value too and nicely packaged if for a gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long lasting sandalwood, 16 April 2014
For a soap the smell really lasts a long time and is quite pungent. Its got a great sandalwood scent, the only downside is that it can be a bit dry at times and takes a while to lather. You do need those extra few drops of water.

Its a shaving soap though so it just lasts and lasts and lasts, I've had mine for nearly a year and maybe used a quarter of it.

Reccommended

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Reviews, 25 Feb 2014
At the time of ordering this was the highest rated shaving soap on Amazon: fantastic - let's order it.

I am used to the modern shaving experience including a gillette razor and shaving gel; however, due to great reviews I thought I should give classic shaving a go. Here comes my experience with this particular piece of kit.

Aesthetics: The packaging looks brilliant: lovely box with a very well designed shaving bowl and fresh looking (imprinted) soap. This makes for the perfect gift at a reasonable price (if you don't care for how it works that is).

Application: The best way to apply this soap (as I imagine you would with any other) is wet the surface and let it soak for a short while. I used an "Edwin Jagger Best Badger Hair Shaving Brush" to create the leather. I have to admit that the soap foams very well and feels very nice during the initial stages of the application.

Odour: This is part of the reason for my 2 star review. The smell is very pungent (I mean this in the worst way possible) - a lot of people commented how they enjoyed the smell - but it will not be for everyone. It seems comparable to marmite: you either love it or you hate it, and I hated it. Certainly it is not a neutral smell, although, on the upside, it fades immediately after shaving.

Shaving: Clearly this is the most important part of the review as you are buying this stuff to reduce irritation and promote gliding of the razor. However; if you are like me and you take a long time shaving (any longer than 2 minutes) you will be disappointed with this product. It dries up very quickly on your skin becoming flakey and rendering it virtualy useless. The flakeyness makes your skin feel very dry and makes me want to wash it off as quickly as possible. Applying a particularly thick layer does not help.

Pointers: I would like to highlight the fact that I am new to classic shaving (and have now returned to modern "gillette" shaving) so it may be normal for soap to become dry and flakey in which case this product performs its job exceptionally well and I should be giving it a 5 star review.

Conclusion: This would be a fantastic gift for any grown man if you care purely for first impressions - as it looks terriffic and will give an impression of "I spent time trying to find you a nice gift". However, if you plan to use it I would recommend looking elsewhere.

I hope that I achieved what I intended to do in conveying my shaving experience and in any way helped you make a decision about the purchase of this product!

Mark :)