4.0 out of 5 stars A great soap that lathers well
Published on 17 July 2012 by Mr. S. King

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Reviews
At the time of ordering this was the highest rated shaving soap on Amazon: fantastic - let's order it.

I am used to the modern shaving experience including a gillette razor and shaving gel; however, due to great reviews I thought I should give classic shaving a go. Here comes my experience with this particular piece of kit.

Aesthetics: The packaging...
Published 15 months ago by bananakid0

4.0 out of 5 stars A great soap that lathers well, 17 July 2012
Mr. S. King - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood Shave Soap in Wooden Bowl 100g (Personal Care)
I've used a few shaving soaps over the last 7 months since I've converted to proper shaving but this is my favourite. It lathers well with minimum effort and I've barely got rid of the logo that's etched in to the top of the block. The wooden bowl is a nice tactile touch in this modern world of plastic. My only complain is the 'sandalwood' element of its fragrance is fairly minimal compared to some sandalwood shaving creams but they only last around five minutes. I fully expect to still be using this in 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 7 May 2013
This isn't a particularly cheap product. But it's so very worth the money.

First off it smells amazing. I have several Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood scented things and I feel so damned manly it hurts. Secondly, it'll last a long time. A very long time, I think, given how my uses so far appear to have made little to no difference to the surface of the soap. Third, you get a wooden bowl! Now I have no idea what the quality of the bowl is like, but it feels so upper class to be marauding around my flat with a wooden bowl of shaving soap.

A good product, worth the money and highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Reviews, 25 Feb. 2014

Aesthetics: The packaging looks brilliant: lovely box with a very well designed shaving bowl and fresh looking (imprinted) soap. This makes for the perfect gift at a reasonable price (if you don't care for how it works that is).

Application: The best way to apply this soap (as I imagine you would with any other) is wet the surface and let it soak for a short while. I used an "Edwin Jagger Best Badger Hair Shaving Brush" to create the leather. I have to admit that the soap foams very well and feels very nice during the initial stages of the application.

Odour: This is part of the reason for my 2 star review. The smell is very pungent (I mean this in the worst way possible) - a lot of people commented how they enjoyed the smell - but it will not be for everyone. It seems comparable to marmite: you either love it or you hate it, and I hated it. Certainly it is not a neutral smell, although, on the upside, it fades immediately after shaving.

Shaving: Clearly this is the most important part of the review as you are buying this stuff to reduce irritation and promote gliding of the razor. However; if you are like me and you take a long time shaving (any longer than 2 minutes) you will be disappointed with this product. It dries up very quickly on your skin becoming flakey and rendering it virtualy useless. The flakeyness makes your skin feel very dry and makes me want to wash it off as quickly as possible. Applying a particularly thick layer does not help.

Pointers: I would like to highlight the fact that I am new to classic shaving (and have now returned to modern "gillette" shaving) so it may be normal for soap to become dry and flakey in which case this product performs its job exceptionally well and I should be giving it a 5 star review.

Conclusion: This would be a fantastic gift for any grown man if you care purely for first impressions - as it looks terriffic and will give an impression of "I spent time trying to find you a nice gift". However, if you plan to use it I would recommend looking elsewhere.

I hope that I achieved what I intended to do in conveying my shaving experience and in any way helped you make a decision about the purchase of this product!

Mark :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned shave, 19 April 2013
I hate those cans of foam which cover your fingers with gunk. Have tried Nivea tubes but this traditional shave soap keeps your hands clean, good foam [with a decent brush] and great smell. On a negative side, the soap level has not moved in two months, so may last several years before I can try the refill I bought at the same time. No need to buy a refill until you have to. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lather!, 26 Dec. 2013
Up to now I have always used Gillette soap in a plastic bowl, mainly because it was easy to pick up from the super market and it was cheap!
Recently I decided to treat myself to a decent badger brush (made by KENT) and invest in a more 'upmarket' soap, which is why I chose 'CRABTREE'
I am very pleasantly surprised how much better a lather I obtain, just by slightly wetting the brush and applying, then soaking the brush again and build up a nice thick lather which gives a far better cut. Although the Crabtree soap cost more than my previous brand you do not seen to require so much, yet still get a far better lather, as a consequence I feel that the Crabtree soap will last far longer. Plus the soap came with a very nice wooden bowl. Overall highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful scent!, 26 Nov. 2013
This isn't a bad soap. I would even go as far as to say that the scent is my favorite sandalwood mix scent, and I do love sandalwood, hence I have been throught quite a lot of them over the years. As for it's use a shaving soap a collegue of mine refered to it as "a good hockey puck but worthless as a soap". He was wrong. It is a very good soap but it takes a good beating from a stiff boar brush to make it lather, but when it does it delivers an amazingly thick and protecting lather. The amount of product needed for a good shave means that this by no means is a cheap soap. Per shave I would say you get more "bang for the buck" buying more upmarket brands. Still the scent makes it one of my very favorite shaving soaps. I do beg you pardon for my english.

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE BOX PITY ABOUT THE SOAP, 12 July 2013
Ludovico Sforza (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Disappointing is the best word I can think of to describe this soap. It smells nice and the wooden case is a nice touch but, I find the lather thin and not at all the type to make a chap feel no end of a fine fellow!

I may be spoilt by the Italian shaving soap I had before this but I don't think so, the lather is just `thin' and that's it.

UPDATE : November 2013, I've improved the original score from 3 to 4 that I gave this soap as I have found that if one puts just a little water on the brush and holds the soap upside down (over a sink!) and rubs quite hard then the lather does thicken up quite nicely as this gives the thin stuff the chance to fall in to said sink.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 10 Aug. 2013
Was bought this for Xmas after I had suggested being bought it due to the research I had conducted. The soap is fragrant and the sandalwood is very pleasant, although it doesn't live up to the claims of leaving you smelling of the product - in my opinion. However, one thing for sure it is long lasting! As someone who shaves every other day I have hardly made a dent in this soap after 6 months of use - I can't imagine having to buy another / refil for several years.
Well worth the money and if you use aftershave as a matter of course you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 Dec. 2012
Lathers very nicely, smells goooood. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys a good shave the old school way. Pretty good value too and nicely packaged if for a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this soap., 13 Feb. 2014
I bought this from reading the reviews on here and i'm happy i did,
It's very nice to use and lathers up with ease,
100% recommend this prodout.

Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood Shave Soap in Wooden Bowl 100g