5.0 out of 5 stars What One Person Can Do
The title of this movie threw me. When I first heard about this movie, I figured it would be about John Newton who wrote the famous hymn. Instead, it tells the story of William Wilberforce, the man who led the fight to end slavery in England. The hymn of the title is William's favorite hymn and shows up a few times in the soundtrack. Still, I don't completely get why...
Published on 13 Nov 2007 by Mark Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Wilberforce was great....
Published on 24 Sep 2007 by G. J. Weeks

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars History brought to life, 11 Dec 2009
M. C. Warwick (New Forest Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace [DVD] (DVD)
I recently read John Pollock's book "Wilberforce" and was intrigued to see the film "Amazing Grace" again which I first saw at the cinema in 2007. It was interesting to see the book characters brought to life, set in the context of 18th/19th century UK. Fashion, architecture and everyday life were superbly portrayed, so much so that I then followed it all up with a more in-depth study of that time. The abolition of the slave trade took years to accomplish and to present it in approx 113 minutes was no mean feat. I'm sure there were some historical inaccuracies as some have suggested and moments of poetic licence but the film must have opened the eyes of many people to the work of William Wilberforce and the impact he has had on our heritage. I know several other characters were working for abolition before and with Wilberforce but he had to be the mouthpiece in a Parliament dominated by very powerful men who supported the planters. One thing I found confusing when the film first came out was its title and I expected to see a life story of John Newton. Maybe that will come. Finally, it was a pleasure to see a film with no gratuitous sex and violence scenes.

4.0 out of 5 stars How sweet the sound..., 20 Jun 2011
This review is from: Amazing Grace [DVD] (DVD)
Apart from being a massive Ioan Gruffudd fan (who can forget 'Hornblower'?), I loved this film because it retold a brilliant story that many people forget about.
The casting is excellent, the script it moving, and it attempts to make British people proud of the fact that we come from a country where changes can be made, even when it seems impossible.
This is a movie you won't forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing True Grit, 8 Jun 2011
This review is from: Amazing Grace [DVD] (DVD)
This film is well cast, excellently acted and the plot grips the viewer from beginning to end, remembering that this is really a bio-pic. The subject matter is heavy, but has been cleverly softened by William Wilberforce's love life, one for the men and one for the ladies, especially the charismatic Ioan Gruffudd.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing grace, 16 April 2011
This review is from: Amazing Grace [DVD] (DVD)
I read all the very good reviews in various papers/magazines, and decided to order it from amazon, because of the wonderful offer. The film was excellent,very moving, not the usual type of film I would have normally thought about, let alone order. I thoroughly recommend it. I will watch it again and still will find it a wonderful film to watch, they should show this in schools instead of just about the history of slavery, it brings it more to life and understandable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Grace, 31 July 2008
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazing Grace [DVD] (DVD)
'Amazing Grace' is the story of William Wilberforce and his fight to abolish slavery in Britain. The first part of the film is told via flashback and then after shows how he finally managed to pass his abolition act. Ioan Gruffudd acts the role of Wilberforce supremely and very soon into the film you are completely gripped and are following the story intently. The excellent costumes and scenery really add to the overall feel of the film and help immerse you in the period. The politics of the time are explored reasonably well and the details of the act and Wilberforce's struggle are recounted in enough depth, but without becoming too dry. At just under two hours, this film manages to keep you interested for the whole duration and yet makes you feel you have a good understanding of the issues. This is well worth a viewing, it's not your fast paced action film (nor does it try to be), but a slow, steady builder and all the better for it.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT !!!, 9 Sep 2011
This review is from: Amazing Grace [DVD] (DVD)
A must see film ,certainly worthy of any collection , great cast !!! , Once again we see alittle bit of history told well , and a start of a revolution to end the slave trade ..We see the mear glimse of hope shattered on many occasions , but the do or die methods whatever the cost to go about these unlawfull {which were law} acts against humanity ...Well written and very well executed and a feeling of being there , due to the high levels of accuracy ,the plot, and the scenery and the costumes...recomended...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Grace dvd, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: Amazing Grace [DVD] (DVD)
A very touching film about a man driven by passion, by love and care of God, his fellow man and of animals, who persisted against long term fierce opposition until he had successfully achieved the abolition of the slave trade in Gt. Britain and its colonies. A brilliant film, and a delight to be able to watch it again and again. If it wasn't for several "b" words and a few "n" words, I could recommend it for everyone. It is a shame to spoil it for children and the morally sensitive, by including these words. They could so easily have been omitted. Otherwise a really wonderful film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Grace - amazing film!, 31 Dec 2010
This review is from: Amazing Grace [DVD] (DVD)
What an amazing film!! I had seen it before and loved it and had not bought it. But watching it again only confirms what I first thought - that it was fantastic. The acting was first class - Ioan Gruffudd, Rufus Sewell, Romola Garai, Albert Finney etc. The script was excellent and the action moving and inspiring. Although there is a strong Christian theme, watchers will enjoy the moving and inspirational story and battles fought. I highly recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good film, 16 Nov 2010
This review is from: Amazing Grace [DVD] (DVD)
I was recently doing a history course with the OU and this film was recommended by our tutor to watch as part of our study into the abolition of slavery as apparently it was pretty historically accurate. I really enjoyed it - it helped bring the period to life to the extent I was able to write one of my exam essays on William Wilberforce - something I probably couldn't have done before watching this film! It really helped bring how hard he struggled to get the trade abolished home to me and it was also helpful seeing on film how his friends/ colleagues helped also - that's hard to take in from a text book. Not sure how it would fare if you don't have prior interest in the subject but it's great as a study aid to help bring the period to life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wilberforce was great...., 24 Sep 2007
G. J. Weeks (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace [DVD] (DVD)
I had been looking forward to seeing this ever since the film came out but I regret to say I was disappointed. Ioan Gruffudd was better than I expected as Wilberforce. My beef is with Michael Apted the director for giving such a blatantly unhistorical drama. I do not have time to list the errors but the two most blatant ones are to do with John Newton. The present tune we sing to Amazing Grace was unknown in England at that time so Wilberforce would never have sung it. Newton was not a monk plagued by guilt for being a slave captain. He was a vicar who knew God's grace and forgiveness, hence the hymn. Right from the start when a screen caption told us the British Empire was built on the back of slaves one sensed that present day (erroneous) judgment may be evident. Wilberforce was not bothered by his addiction to opium. It was the one analgesic available and he controlled, not increased, his dosage throughout his life. I do though doubt that he would have been alone with an unmarried lady, unchaperoned through the night. The production is so inaccurate I thought that the director must be American, but no, to our shame he is British, portraying a royal duke in the House of Commons, Fox erroneously ennobled and still there to give the econium on Wilberforce in the hour of triumph though Fox died before 1807.

It was not merely the historical inaccuracy that disappointed me. The flash backs were confusing and took away from the whirlwind nature of Wilberforce's courtship. I found the whole thing rather dull and not a patch on say, Chariots of Fire for an inspirational Christian theme. It was sympathetically done but could have been so much better. Perhaps viewer's who do not know the real story will be more impressed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Amazing Grace [DVD]
Amazing Grace [DVD] by Michael Apted (DVD - 2007)