Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 September 2011
This is a 2 cd set of original best recordings by Muddy Waters, spanning 25 years from 1947 to 1972, and is an excellent example of why collections should be in chronological order of recording, which this set virtually is. You can hear how MW's recordings have developed over the years - for example most of his early recordings feature only guitar and bass, but as years go by harmonica, drums, piano, and sometimes even another guitar are added. Going by the recording dates shown in the track listing, only 2 tracks are not in order, and then only by months. (Track 4 on disc 2 should appear 2 tracks earlier, and track 5 on disc 2 should appear 3 tracks later.)
The track listing in the excellent 16 page booklet also names the musicians: this reads like a "Who's Who" and includes Willie Dixon, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Rogers, Otis Spann, and Little Walter!
Muddy Waters himself, under his real name McKinley Morganfield, wrote 31 of the 50 songs on this cd set.
These are of course all Chess recordings, and it was Muddy Waters who, in 1955, helped Chuck Berry join Chess.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 December 2010
As my fellow reviewer makes clear, this is a bargain-priced overview of Muddy's development at Chess records. Given the huge amount of tracks (c 50) in this anthology, it's easy to track the development in style and technique across even lesser known numbers, and changing band compositions. This is strong, driving blues with an insistent and hypnotic rhythm; not for consumption all at the one time perhaps, but as a great blues resource to be dipped into at leisure, all at a ridiculously inexpensive price. An essential blues purchase.
on 1 August 2011
THIS IS THE BEST COLLECTION TO GET IF YOU WANT A COMPLETE OVERVIEW OF MUDDY WATERS
MUSIC IT IS ALL IN CHRONILOGICAL ORDER WITH DATES AND FULL PERSONELL
ALL I CAN SAY IS BUY IT.
on 5 December 2013
Has all the best known songs by Muddy Waters. A very good collection although some of the tracks are very similar to each other. But I bought it for about 8 or 9 tracks.
on 30 August 2013
Muddy complete Waters, Mckinley Morganfield's contribution to the musical world. Contains several classics.Just cannot be bettered. from mean red spider to I'm Ready
on 24 January 2015
I wanted an intro to the music of Muddy Waters (with which I wasn't very familiar).

What can I say? Just a fantastic compilation in every way.

There's the big-name classics of course (I.e Mannish Boy - who said Rap invented swag and self-aggrandisement?) but the real pleasure has been discovering Waters' many lesser-known (to me) classics.

Whether in the car, at home or on my iPhone, I just can't stop listening. Early favourite is Good Morning Little schoolgirl.

Fantastic album. Hugely recommended.
on 13 December 2013
This CD has all of his greatest sons plus quite a few not so well known songs. If your a fan of American Blues then this is for you.
on 11 February 2013
This anthology contains some of Muddy's best tracks and for the price it is very hard to beat. Each song is well chosen and the music is truly impressive. If you want a good overview of a blues legend then this is a great buy.

I'd also recommend Electric Mud, which is my favourite album of his.
on 7 February 2011
Bought this as part of my "expanding my music collection backwards in time" project. Fantastic. From basic blues up through the 50's Rythm & Blues band music. Worth every penny.
on 13 June 2011
I wanted to get a decent compilation of MW as I'm a novice when it comes to buying Blues.I went for this. Great value for what seems to me to be a great collection of his songs.